PDA

View Full Version : Countersink Bits

Sue Helm
08-13-2010, 7:47 PM
I am looking for a set of these bits. These were from Sears Craftman but about 20 years ago I guess I am enclosing a picture cause i have not seen any like these and was hoping that someone might be able to help me.

Will Overton
08-13-2010, 7:59 PM
There was a 5 piece set, with one broke, that sold a couple of weeks ago. They were listed as "vintage" and sold for $7.99. :)

I mention this only to say that Ebay may be your best bet.

Chris Padilla
08-13-2010, 8:06 PM
I did some googling and couldn't find anything. I think a watch on eBay or a visit to your local flea market to be your best bet.

Bruce Page
08-13-2010, 8:11 PM
Sue, welcome to SMC!
What is the particular draw for these? There are many countersinks available of much high quality.

Dave Lehnert
08-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Black and Decker has some. Part #U1588
I did a search but did not find a Retailer that had them.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/BDK/POWER_TOOLS/ACCESSORIES/LARGE/1/U1588_P1.jpg

John McClanahan
08-13-2010, 11:54 PM
If you are going to use them with hardwood, countersinks with a real drill bit tip may be worth considering.

John

David Helm
08-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Don't know about the bits, but I wonder if we are related. Where are you located?

Sue Helm
08-14-2010, 10:04 AM
I am not sure what you are asking by particular draw?

Sue Helm
08-14-2010, 10:05 AM
I am in Texas, but i do not think we are related

Sue Helm
08-14-2010, 10:07 AM
thank you I will check out Black & Decker

Cody Colston
08-14-2010, 11:59 AM
I am not sure what you are asking by particular draw?

I think it means "what is the particular attraction to these type bits?"

BTW, I agree that there are multiple better choices than those you pictured.

Sue Helm
08-16-2010, 1:26 PM
They have been discontinued from Black & Decker

Sue Helm
08-16-2010, 1:27 PM
My husband has used these for so long he has never tried any others and I always try to get him the tools he likes the best

Will Overton
08-16-2010, 2:31 PM
My husband has used these for so long he has never tried any others and I always try to get him the tools he likes the best

You're a good wife, but maybe it's time to nudge your husband into more modern tools. :)

Van Huskey
08-16-2010, 8:22 PM
You're a good wife, but maybe it's time to nudge your husband into more modern tools. :)

I agree, the current ones do a MUCH better job than those. I have used them in the past and never got near the quality of hole as even the cheap versions of the current ones.

Jesse Wilson
08-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Agreed, those old spade style countersinks basically just use a combination of speed and force to scrape the sides out, they do very little cutting of the fibers. The best results are obviously from the newer styles that actually cut or shear the material.

There are many other recommendations for countersink on this site.

Heather Thompson
08-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Sue,

I agree with the other posters about better quality, but if you really want them I have a set that I will send you for the hugh price of free, I will include the postage in that cost also as a welcome to the Creek.

Heather

PM me your address.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-17-2010, 2:53 PM
[QUOTE=Heather Thompson;1492205]Sue,

I agree with the other posters about better quality, but if you really want them I have a set that I will send you for the hugh price of free, I will include the postage in that cost also as a welcome to the Creek.
QUOTE]

Wow, what a welcome!

I would agree with everyone else, that you should convince your hubby that he should invest in something better. I have a similar set, not Craftsman, and while that set does have an advantage that it makes a nice large (diameter) hole for a short depth, it really isn't that great. Or better yet, is it his birthday soon? You can get a new bit set for him... I enjoy any tool my wife buys for me.