PDA

View Full Version : Petrified wood

Mike Cruz
08-13-2010, 5:00 PM
Howdy all, not trying to get another Happy Birthday thread out of this, so please, let's not make it one. But, I wanted to share a birthday gift that I got from my FIL. He volunteers at the Smithsonian, saw this (in the store, not on display...:rolleyes:) and thought I would like it. He was wrong, I LOVE it. I think it is WAY cool. To think that a tree laid down (okay, it fell) thousands of years ago, then over time, rock took its place cell by cell. You can even see the growth rings and what look like the rays (lik in oak). Not sure what kind of wood it was, but it came from Arizona.

Rick Markham
08-13-2010, 5:52 PM
Petrified wood is really cool, I remember my parent's had a piece when I was growing up and it really fascinated me (shiny/ and or pretty women...err... things distract me too)

Then I made a journey through Arizona as an adult and drove through the petrified forest... man that is really crazy and amazing. If you ever get the chance to go, it is absolutely indescribable almost eerie!

David Christopher
08-13-2010, 6:05 PM
Mike, it looks like its starting to spalt.......LOL

youre right that is a pretty cool gift

Harlan Coverdale
08-13-2010, 6:13 PM
Probably don't need to use any Anchor Seal on that blank. It looks pretty stable. :D

Cool piece of wood/stone.

Lee Bidwell
08-14-2010, 2:05 AM
Nice Mike. Just don't get tempted to chuck it up on the lathe!:D

Chris Padilla
08-14-2010, 2:17 AM
The Petrified Forest in Arizona is pretty cool...visit it someday if you can.

Belinda Barfield
08-14-2010, 7:53 AM
That's a great gift Mike! Part of my "inheritance" is a large piece of petrified wood that my dad found when I was about six. I was fascinated by it then, and still am. He won't let me have it until he is gone. Don't have a pic but will try to remember to get one next time I am home.

Gene Howe
08-14-2010, 9:13 AM
Living within a couple miles of the Petrified Forest, our acreage is littered with petrified wood. Our sis in law from IL gathered enough from our property to take back small pieces to give one to each child in three 2nd grade classrooms. Within a 1/4 mile are several trees laying just as they fell. This area was a sea bed and along with the petrified wood are sea creature fossils, and later, pottery shards and other artifacts. An interesting area to just wander around in.

Mitchell Andrus
08-14-2010, 9:33 AM
Now you need to make a really sharp stand for it. A first class presentation will make it pop. Perhaps clear lucite?

Rod Torgeson
08-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Here are some pictures I took of some petrified wood in northern Arizona back in June of this year at a tourist/gift shop place. One of these is suppose to be the worlds largest piece of petrified wood.

Dan Hintz
08-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Gene,

Any chance you'd be interested in taking a trip through your lands to find some interesting pieces and selling them here? <nudge nudge>

Belinda Barfield
08-14-2010, 4:00 PM
Just for kicks, here's something interesting that can be done with petrified wood - petrified wood counters. The photos don't do the product justice. It is incredible!

http://www.concettous.com/Content.aspx?Page=product&id=32

Mike Cruz
08-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Wow, kind of a petrified wood butcher block. Pretty neat!

Dan Hintz
08-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Must be a bear on knife edges, though...

Jeff Monson
08-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Mike, I'd definately get some blo on that asap ;)

thats a really cool gift

Bill Huber
08-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Mike, that is cool, now if you get enough of it you could make a gas station out of it.

This one is in Decatur, Texas

158503 158504

rick carpenter
08-17-2010, 12:17 AM
I just can't figure out what would scare wood that bad.

Chris Padilla
08-17-2010, 12:54 AM

T-Rex, maybe? ;)

Trent Whitehead
08-17-2010, 1:08 AM

My woodworking skills.:(

Mike Wilkins
08-17-2010, 2:55 PM
I have a neighbor who goes fossil hunting in various parts of Eastern North Carolina, mostly in the Tar River and the Aurora area. He has a large display of sharks teeth, petrified logs of various sizes/shapes/colors and many whale vertebra(sp). He has given me several pieces which I am in the process of making display stands for. Amazing how heavy this stuff gets when it gets petrified over a couple of thousand years.

Van Huskey
08-18-2010, 3:44 PM
Mike, REALLY cool gift.

Just for kicks, here's something interesting that can be done with petrified wood - petrified wood counters. The photos don't do the product justice. It is incredible!

http://www.concettous.com/Content.aspx?Page=product&id=32

Belinda, I am in love with that and we have been looking for a "different" counter material. Do you know a "rough" price on it, it looks perfect.

Belinda Barfield
08-18-2010, 3:54 PM
Belinda, I am in love with that and we have been looking for a "different" counter material. Do you know a "rough" price on it, it looks perfect.

I don't have access to your checkbook, so I'm going to say read this sitting down just in case. :D

The last time I quoted this material the square foot price was $415.00. It was fairly new on the market at that time and the raw material price may have dropped a bit.

Van Huskey
08-18-2010, 4:26 PM
I don't have access to your checkbook, so I'm going to say read this sitting down just in case. :D

The last time I quoted this material the square foot price was $415.00. It was fairly new on the market at that time and the raw material price may have dropped a bit.

Thanks! I expected it to be over 200 a square. The key with that raw material cost (for me) would be to use it sparingly and as an accent. I will keep my eye on it. My first thought was use it on the island but even that is 32ft^2 which is approaching $15k all in... My wife mentioned using it as a backsplash material which might actually work asthetically and money wise.

Belinda Barfield
08-18-2010, 4:38 PM
Thanks! I expected it to be over 200 a square. The key with that raw material cost (for me) would be to use it sparingly and as an accent. I will keep my eye on it. My first thought was use it on the island but even that is 32ft^2 which is approaching $15k all in... My wife mentioned using it as a backsplash material which might actually work asthetically and money wise.

Since I don't know your area I can't recommend a fabricator, but the website should be able to guide you to one. I would suggest getting a quote from a local fab shop as you may be able to get it for around the 200 price point. The price I quoted included excess material. Not all fabricators do that but we do with a "semi precious" material. Unless they have changed the slab sizes a slab is 45.8 square feet so there wouldn't be a lot of waste if you did just the island. It is a very "strong" material visually so the best plan may be just to use it as an accent like a backsplash.