PDA

View Full Version : Circular Saw Recommendation

Stan Thigpen
12-10-2004, 9:41 AM
I am planning on purchasing a new 7 ¼” circular saw and want to keep the price under $150. I want a 15 amp motor but wish to keep it as light as reasonably possible. I am a southpaw and wish for the blade to be on the right side. I am leaning toward the Porter Cable MAG 324. I would like to hear from anyone who owns one concerning their experience with this saw. Also, any other recommendations for saws that I might wish to consider. Thanks

John Weber
12-10-2004, 9:55 AM
I think any of the name brand saws are good. The new Porter Cables look very nice, and the older models were very well respected. I have a DeWalt 364 with brake and a worm drive Skil saw. Both have advantages, but DeWalt is better for general work, but for framing the Skil cannot be beat. The Milwaukee with the adjustable handle is also nice. I would just look at what feels good in the hand. You can't go wrong with a Porter Cable, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Worm Drive Skil, Bosch, Makita, etc...

John

Kent Cori
12-10-2004, 2:13 PM
Stan,

I bought the PC MAG 324 about two months ago. I've been very happy with it. It takes a little bit of adjustment for the right side blade location but after a few cuts, it feels fine. I recommend the saw.

Ken Garlock
12-10-2004, 2:36 PM
Hi Stan. I bought the Mikita 5007FAK based upon the framers the framed our house. They said that it was the only circular saw that would stand up to their use/abuse. They particularly liked the base plate for staying flat and accurate. Oh yes, and it has an LED light that illuminates the saw blade at the place where it will cut.

They used the Marathon brand blades because they stayed sharp longer and when a replacement was needed, they could stop by any Home Depot for a new one.

Amazon has this model for $169. Amazon has a deal where if you buy over $199 in Makita tools, you get a $25 discount. Heck, you could get a quarter sheet sander for half price. :cool:

Glenn Clabo
12-10-2004, 5:28 PM
Stan,

I've abused my saw for many years now...dropped it off the roof...rebuilt about half the house...you won't go wrong with this one...$129.00 at Amazon..

Milwaukee 6390-21 7-1/4" Circular Saw with Tilt-Lok Handle and Case

Dino Makropoulos
12-10-2004, 6:47 PM
I am planning on purchasing a new 7 ¼” circular saw and want to keep the price under $150. I want a 15 amp motor but wish to keep it as light as reasonably possible. I am a southpaw and wish for the blade to be on the right side. I am leaning toward the Porter Cable MAG 324. I would like to hear from anyone who owns one concerning their experience with this saw. Also, any other recommendations for saws that I might wish to consider. Thanks

First of all you should re-think one of your wishes. The right blade is not the right choice for a southpaw.
Think about holding a speed square against your saw base. No good.
Think about your right hand holding the wood next to the blade. No good.
And think about how your saw drops with your cut off and the potential of kick back's.

And about the better view of the blade...you can have a full visible cutting line by offseting your line with a simple home made offset square.

And you may want to include an electric brake on your wish list.
Good luck to you and to me ...from the left bladed society of the rightie's
YCF Dino.

Dan Mages
12-10-2004, 11:43 PM
I have the PC mag saw with blade left and the electronic brake. I used it to build my shed over a 3 month period. I don't think I could have done it with out it! I highly reccomend the saw. I am also a southpaw and I reccomending a blade left application.

Dan

Ken Fitzgerald
12-11-2004, 9:09 AM
Stan....about 2 years ago I bought a PC....Love it! 30 years ago I had a neighbor who was a contractor. I helped him build a couple of houses, remodel one and build a playground. The first day I worked for him, he took me to a local lumberyard and bought a Skill wormdrive for me to use. I later bought a cheaper Skill homeowner type for personal use. The wormdrive was heavy but it was "left bladed" so I could see the cut line. The "homeowner" Skill I bought was "right bladed" and I couldn't see the cut line. 2 years ago I finally replaced that old Skill with a PC. The model I bought you can get left or right bladed. As I'm right handed, I bought the "left bladed" model so I can see the cutline. IF I was buying one for my lefthanded spouse ( and I wouldn't..just because she's not mechanically inclined...Love her dearly, however!) I'd buy a right bladed model for the same reason....she could see the cutline. I would love to have bought a wormdrive model but now that I'm older I don't have the strength in my wrists and forearms to handle the extra weight and the levered weight most wormdrives put on same! Good luck with your decision!

Mark Singer
12-11-2004, 9:29 AM
I am with Ken, I like seeing the line. I started years ago with worm drive Skillsaws, I did a lot of rough framing, stair biulding and door hanging, when my back was better. I have the PC Mag left blade which for a right handed person seems correct. I have not used it much , since I got the Festool 55 at the same time....The PC seems very good though

Steve Clardy
12-11-2004, 10:05 AM
I have the PC 447 framers saw. Best saw I have ever had. Very durable saw.

Dino Makropoulos
12-11-2004, 2:10 PM
As I'm right handed, I bought the "left bladed" model so I can see the cutline. IF I was buying one for my lefthanded spouse ( and I wouldn't..just because she's not mechanically inclined...Love her dearly, however!) I'd buy a right bladed model for the same reason....she could see the cutline. I would love to have bought a wormdrive model but now that I'm older I don't have the strength in my wrists and forearms to handle the extra weight and the levered weight most wormdrives put on same! Good luck with your decision!

The nick name for the Skill 77 is...The deadly 77. And this come from the Pro's.
Using a saw that it will put you on the wrong side of the cut every time holding the wood next to the blade with your saw on the drop off piece and the sawdust on the keeper piece while the OSHA is telling you that the blade should be on the far side of your body parts and in EU -AU-CA or China you will not find anyone to even make LBCS ...is not the right thing to suggest to others.
Even if we feel comfortable and we like to see the blade and we master the use of the "deadly 77" ....we should look at safer and better ways,if not for us... for others.

In my last post I explain how you can have a full visible line (100%) and how you can aling your saw before you even start cutting and how we can eliminate the majority of circular saw accident's.

And by the way...I'm not trying to sell another tool here. The left bladed saw's don't work on the Ez Smart.
Last week I have one young woodworker with a LBCS. I ask him why left and not right. his answer was..That's what they recommend at the forums.
And then I ask him if the LBCS feel's good on his hand's. His answer was...scary and awkward. And it is.
I'm out of here.
YCF Dino