PDA

View Full Version : QSWO Raised Panel Doors?

Kyle Kaldor
08-13-2010, 4:11 PM
Has anybody made raised panel cabinet doors out of QSWO?

All of the doors that I can find are flat panel. I would like to just make them flat panel, but I only have 3/4" boards and don't have any way to make them thinner (plane or resaw).

If anybody has any good pictures of a raised panel QSWO cabinet door I would appreciate it.

Peter Quinn
08-13-2010, 4:51 PM
If the interiors allow it space wise you can run the fielded panel to the inside and use 3/4" panels set in backwards so they show a flat face like the shakers did.They are less likely to crack than thin panels too. I don't have a handy picture of QSWO raised panels but we do them at work and they look fine if you choose t go that direction.

Dave MacArthur
08-14-2010, 3:39 AM
Exactly what Peter said. Just flip the panels backwards.

Here are some pics of raised panel (kind of) with QSWO. It's also my #1 favorite thread on SMC, and a great read if you're using QSWO.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60075
Enjoy!

Norman Pyles
08-15-2010, 9:42 AM
I just make a rabbet in the back, when my panels are wider than the groves.

Joe Chritz
08-15-2010, 2:48 PM
My kitchen is flat panel maple that was milled to 5/8", raised and flipped. It has been done for a very long time and is a proven method.

Since I can resaw I now take 4/4 stock and resaw it and end up around 3/8" finished then just slightly raise the panel.

Other that using more wood a flipped panel is very simple and easy to do.

Joe

Jay Jolliffe
08-15-2010, 5:30 PM
I know you wanted QSWO but this is made from red oak.....I had to match existing cabinets....