PDA

View Full Version : shark guard and tablesaw sled ie dubby

Alvin VanBumble
08-13-2010, 2:21 PM
I am interested in purchasing sharkguard for my ts. How well does it work with a table saw sled? Thanks, Alvin

Prashun Patel
08-13-2010, 2:41 PM
If you are using a Single Dubby - or any sled that only rides on one side of the blade, then you can use a guard. The Sharkguard comes with different height splitters and the pawls are optional. So, without the pawls, and the tallest splitter, you should have plenty of clearance for the sled. This probably goes for most blade guards (one reason I prefer the single side sleds, myself).

If you are using a double Dubby and are tying the sides together, or using a sled that rides in both miter slots, then any guard will obstruct the fence. The workaround for this with the SG is to use the shortest splitter - and NO guard. The short splitter will ride through the slot in the fence - like a riving knife would. However, this does nothing to help you with dust collection.

What you COULD do, is build a bracket on your sled that the sharkguard can mount onto. Then the guard would ride with the sled, provide hand protection and excellent dust collection. The Sharkguard decouples from its splitters, which gives you a lot of design and use options... It's a great product.

glenn bradley
08-13-2010, 2:49 PM
I don't use my overhead when I use the sled. I do leave the throat plate out which "seems" to help with dust collection but, that could be me wishing.

Brian D Anderson
08-13-2010, 3:38 PM
+1 on using just the splitter with the sled. I have the Sharkguard and just take the guard/pawls off and leave the splitter. The small and regular sized splitter work with my sled. The tall one definitely does not. I did make a sled with a guard, so I have two bases covered. No dust collection as previously mentioned, but it seems to work.

-Brian

(Sharkguard splitter not pictured below - I didn't have it at the time)

michael osadchuk
08-14-2010, 11:54 AM
I am interested in purchasing sharkguard for my ts. How well does it work with a table saw sled? Thanks, Alvin

I have a Sharkguard on my General cabinet ts and love the guard ......but the Sharkguard is anchored to the ts via a splitter so I remove the guard when using sled......have you looked at Sharkguard website; Lee has lots of photos and it should be reasonable apparent when the guard has to be removed for particular applications.

good luck

michael

Jeff Biss
09-17-2010, 10:23 PM
I am currently looking at the Shark Guard. I would like to use it on my table saw where I cut small triangular segments for segmented turning using an Incar Miter Express Set-up. I am trying to decide weather to get the 2.5 in or 4 in model. I would like the 4 in model, but am concerned in either case of the little segments getting sucked up with the rest of the dust, but I like the idea of the 4 in port for better dust collection. Lee has suggested that I either go with the 4 in and control the air flow with a restrictor (blast gate) or just go with the 2.5 in to be safe.

david brum
09-18-2010, 9:48 AM
Hi Jeff

I just finished cutting a pile of segmented pieces for a bowl. I used a dubby-style sled with my Shark Guard with the tall splitter. It worked beautifully. I got my Shark Guard well before the 4" option was available. It is hooked to a dedicated shop vac and has always performed well. It hasn't ever sucked up any segmented pieces. I initially tried it as a branch off of my DC and wasn't happy. If I were going to do that, I would definitely get the 4" and maybe figure out some kind of screen for it.

michael osadchuk
09-18-2010, 7:24 PM
I am currently looking at the Shark Guard. I would like to use it on my table saw where I cut small triangular segments for segmented turning using an Incar Miter Express Set-up. I am trying to decide weather to get the 2.5 in or 4 in model. I would like the 4 in model, but am concerned in either case of the little segments getting sucked up with the rest of the dust, but I like the idea of the 4 in port for better dust collection. Lee has suggested that I either go with the 4 in and control the air flow with a restrictor (blast gate) or just go with the 2.5 in to be safe.

I have the 4" model and you do have to be careful of sucking up short, thin cutoffs.

At the time I ordered mine I remember that the other consideration is that the width of plastic shroud is wider on the 4" model than the 2", causing more restriction of space for a pushstick between the guard and the typical fence.

I opted for the 4" mouth because I wanted to maximize dust collection and dealt with the restriction of pushstick space by building a homemade jig to place over the standard fence that allows sawing off thin widths and also provides ample room for push sticks.

good luck

michael

Jeff Biss
09-18-2010, 8:22 PM
Thanks for the information. Based on what you say, it should work for the Incra Miter Express. Do you use any other dust collection for your table saw in addition to the shark guard or not. It looks like the idea is to use the shark guard in conjunction with a zero clearance throat plate and capture all of the saw dust on top of the table? Or should I add another hose to the back of my Dewalt 744's 2 in port?