PDA

View Full Version : Need steps to turn Chalice

Keith Harrell
08-13-2010, 1:05 PM
I have been asked to turn a Chalice and would like some advise on steps.
I have turned bowls and platters but never a cup or vine glass.
They would like a chalice with a stem so that has me wondering about the steps.
I assume I would hollow out the piece first holding one end with a good set of jaws.
I'm concerned with wobble. The wood most likely would be dry. Size is not a problem as it's a very small church.
Thanks

David E Keller
08-13-2010, 1:28 PM
There are several you tube videos I think. Bob Hamilton may have something like that in one of his youtube tutorials. I'd try searching for goblet, chalice, wine glass, etc.

Mike Golka
08-13-2010, 1:54 PM
I'm certainly no pro but what I do is form outside the top 2/3 of the cup using the tailstock and a chuck. I then remove the tailstock and hollow and finish sand the inside. Then with soft material (paper towlel, rag, foam) stuff the cup and bring up the tailstock again. Finish working from the top to the base. Part off below the base.

Thom Sturgill
08-13-2010, 1:58 PM
You are right, step one is to hollow the 'bowl' while the piece is held in a chuck. Then after sanding the inside, shape the outside. Then use the tailstock with padding to support the open end while you sand the outside of the bowl and turn the stem. Work the stem in sections leaving as much 'meat' as possible. As you progress stop each inch or so and sand both with the lathe on and off (sanding lengthwise while the lathe is stopped so as to smooth transitions.) Shape the foot and undercut it before parting it off.

This technique can be used to make very long stemmed goblets. Hope that helps. As said, their are several youtube videos available.

Keith Harrell
08-13-2010, 4:13 PM
Thanks for getting me started, I'll take a look at the youtube videos.

Steve Mawson
08-13-2010, 7:49 PM
Here is a nice video on turning a wine glass or I guess you could call it chalice. http://marleyturned.com/Video_Wine_Glass.html There are a lot of interesting turnings on this site. Good luck on the chalice, you made me laugh about the small church- does that have a direct bearing on the size of the chalice?