PDA

View Full Version : Red Maple CrossCut Slabs

Joesph Siar
08-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi, rookie here. Father and I cut this branch off of a redmaple. Pretty big branch over 2 foot in diameter. We are mostly using the redmaple for firewood, however we did save some because of the size of these things. I was wondering what should i do to try to preserve these slabs. Anchorseal or ?? I may want to find something to do with these slabs but right now trying to figure out to make sure it doesnt check so much, only been cut 2 days ago and showing some minor cracks already. Im not even sure if red maples are even worth keeping? Sizes of these things are all different some are 27 inches long, 23 inches wide 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 inches thick...since its so thick i think it wouldnt crack in half?? not sure..any feedback would be appreciated.. I have 12 of these slabs..worthless or not ???

Joesph

Andrew Gibson
08-13-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm by no means an expert, but to my understanding the problem with branch wood is that it is under a good deal of stress and therefor moves a lot when cut. Trying to keep the wood from checking or splitting may be an exercise in madness.

Joesph Siar
08-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Andrew..thanks for the reply. I totally forgot about that. That makes sense, a branch is already in alot of stress due to winds and the way it is hanging off of the tree..So that means the veneer is best because of less movement therefore less stress???

Joesph

Cody Colston
08-13-2010, 1:19 PM
It's a pretty futile attempt to try and prevent those wafers from checking. The problem isn't stress in the limb wood but radial checking from uneven shrinkage as it dries. The outer wood near the bark is much less dense than the inner wood, therefore it will shrink more as it dries, eventually resulting in a check or split...it's almost inevitable.

Also, as you can see, the pith is included in the piece when it is sliced in that manner and, in this case, is already exhibiting cracks.

Joesph Siar
08-13-2010, 1:48 PM
Alright so i have to bear with the checkings, is there anything i can put on it to help it dry out slower? It is in the garage right now. Pretty dry in there, not much air draft at all. Are these pieces worth anything to sell? These pieces are pretty heavy to ship if i put them up on ebay. I just hate to see these go in the woodstove.

Ted Calver
08-13-2010, 4:04 PM
You might check out PEG (PolyEthylene Glycol??) I recall it has been used in the past to reduce checking of slices like yours.