PDA

View Full Version : Creeker gift from Robert McGowen - Mesquite Bowl

steven carter
08-13-2010, 10:24 AM
When I talked to Robert McGowen about sending a piece to him for the charity auction, we talked a little about mesequite and the fact that I had not turned any but would like to and Robert was kind enough to send me a large flat rate box with a mesquite blank. The bowl ended up at almost 9" x 4 1/2 inches. It is sanded to 320 finished with home brew oil, beall buffed, and ren waxed. It is amazing stuff to turn. It was wet but I turned it to final thickness and sanded. This bowl did not more any at all as it dried, which is amazing to me. Thank you Robert for your generosity. I decided to leave the voids 'au natural'. This bowl is not going anywhere, I just wish that mesquite grew in Indiana.

Thanks for looking, comments/cirtiques welcome as always.

Steve

David E Keller
08-13-2010, 10:34 AM
That's nice. Pretty wood with a nice, simple form. I love the voids.

Good on Robert for sending the wood.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Congrats!

Robert is, indeed, top shelf.

I had a Creeker send me a piece to turn and I had a similar experience.

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Great looking bowl and was a great gesture by Robert. Top notch in my book.

Tony De Masi
08-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Very nice piece. That mesquite is wonderful stuff to turn. I got some from Robert a couple of years or so ago too and it quickly became one of my favorites to turn.

Nice gesture Robert.

Tony

Tim Rinehart
08-13-2010, 1:04 PM
Steven, super job on that piece, I like the voids left as they are too. I've filled voids in some pieces, and LOML likes it..but I kinda think the natural state is hard to top, especially if large area of void like that.
Nice rim, not too hard, not too soft...just right to my eye.

I will have to try mesquite someday...so many woods, so little time.

charlie knighton
08-13-2010, 2:53 PM
very nice, let us know when you start scheming at 3 am at night on how to get more mesquite, it is quite addicting but the goverment has not banded or made it illegal yet :D

when you get a pile, you sort of turn it sparingly, the pile does not deteriorate over time, it does dry out

John Keeton
08-14-2010, 6:54 AM
Steven, you did right by the mesquite! Really a nice bowl. I have a large mesquite burl from a creeker that has lots of holes through it. I am really looking forward to doing a neat form with it.

That Robert is a pretty good guy!

Josh Bowman
08-14-2010, 2:41 PM
Steven, that is a very nice form. The wood color is very nice....not as dark as walnut and has wonderful grain. One more wood species to add to my must try list.:)

Steve Schlumpf
08-14-2010, 4:11 PM
Beautiful bowl Steve! Love the rich color!

Robert McGowen
08-14-2010, 4:28 PM
Very well done, Steven. I am glad that you enjoyed the wood and that your bowl turned out so well.

I try to do something nice once a decade or so and I thought that I would go ahead and get it out of the way for this decade! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: