PDA

View Full Version : Potato salad

Rich Stewart
08-13-2010, 9:12 AM
I'm kinda getting tired of my same old potato salad. Anybody got a great potato salad recipe?

David Weaver
08-13-2010, 9:48 AM
Can't share the appreciation for the dish, but for some reason when I saw the title, I thought of Ron White.

"They call me tater salad"

Growing up near a bunch of pa dutch types, tater salad and other such nasty conglomerations of things (scrapple) were commonplace at functions. I can't recall any of them being "great".

Mitchell Andrus
08-13-2010, 9:53 AM
Toss in some hard boiled egg and a dash of mustard.

Dan Hintz
08-13-2010, 9:55 AM
A touch of mustard helps, IMO...

I've also known dill to be a nice surprise, but it doesn't work with all recipes.

Jeff Bratt
08-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Here's a collection of more potato recipes than one person will ever need...
http://www.smallpotatoesmusic.com/orderc.htm

plus a couple excerpts...
http://www.smallpotatoesmusic.com/recipe.htm

from the musical duo Small Potatoes - and friends.

lowell holmes
08-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Sour cream, boiled egg yokes, and mayonaise blended together makes a good potato salad, along with potatoes, celary, and onion of course.

Belinda Barfield
08-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Another vote for mustard. Boiled eggs and pickle relish, couple of dashes of celery salt or paprika or curry powder (but not all together!)

Another alternative, no mayo, add ranch dressing and crumbled bacon.

Just for kicks, bake the potatoes instead of boiling.

I love German potato salad but have never mastered it so I won't share that one.

There was a place in Augusta, GA that had this wonderful potato salad. I never got the recipe but the secret ingredient was Sprite.

Rich Stewart
08-13-2010, 12:48 PM
That Mom's potato salad looks like just the thing. I think it is the pickle relish that my mom used for her best potato salad that I couldn't think of. Thanks for the replies.

Rich Stewart
08-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah, that Ron White is a hoot. "Now, when I say they threw me out of the bar, I don't mean they asked me nicely to leave."

"How far can we get on one engine?"

"All the way to the scene of the crash."

Too funny. Lots on youtube.

Quinn McCarthy
08-13-2010, 1:51 PM
My ma makes german potatoe salad that is wonderful. Not sure how to make it buthere are salad potatoes and vinegar, sugar and bacon.

I might be missing something

Quinn

Rich Stewart
08-13-2010, 2:27 PM
I think German tater salad is served warm.

Joe Pelonio
08-13-2010, 2:37 PM
I just sent mine to my son, whenever there's a get-together I have to make it so it can't be too bad:

For 6 medium potatoes, add more or less "stuff"
if using more or less spuds.

Wash the potatoes, but do not peel. Cut in half and place in a pot
with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil and set the timer
for 15 minutes. Then boil 2 eggs for 10 minutes and place in cold
water to cool.

When the potato cook time is up, poke the thickest one with a knife. If it goes in easily
they are done, if not give them a few more minutes and try again. usually
takes 15-20 depending on the size.

Drain and allow to cool. Do not put them in cold water or they will fall
apart. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut up into pieces and
put into a big bowl. They peel easier if still warm.

Add 2 teaspoons of red wine vinegar and toss lightly.

Add the following:
Two Tablespoons or a good squirt of mustard
3/4 Cup of Mayonnaise
1/2 chopped yellow Onion
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tablespoon dry parsley
1/2 Teaspoon Salt (more or less to taste)
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
The two hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
Stir gently from bottom to mix thoroughly. I like to use the rubber spatula.

Transfer to serving bowl and cover with plastic wrap in fridge (or tupperware)
and serve chilled.

Optional: sprinkle Paprika on top

Jim Koepke
08-13-2010, 3:27 PM
There are more different ways to make potato salad than there are people who make it.

Things I like in potato salad:

Hard boiled eggs

Pickles, sweet, dill or relish are all OK, but not necessarily all at the same time.

Green olives, I know, some people prefer "ripe" olives. They are all picked green and different processing makes then green, brown, red or black.

Celery chopped up.

My mom used to make potato salad with Miracle Whip. My wife will slap me up the side my head if she catches me looking at it in the store. For her, if it isn't Best Foods, it better be Heilman's mayonnaise.

Of course I do like mustard in my potato salad. Currently, there are at least 3 different mustards in our refrigerator. There is the Plochman's, the French's and the Hoffman's sweet stone ground.

Another thing that I like on most potato salad is BBQ sauce. Don't make it with the BBQ sauce, it will come out pink and no one will eat it.

jim

paul cottingham
08-13-2010, 9:39 PM
powdered keens mustard, baby

can't beat it.

Pat Germain
08-14-2010, 7:13 PM
I think the problem with most potato salads is they are either made with Miracle Whip or have a bunch of sugar added. Either way, it's really sweet. Blech! I like it with some brown mustard added for a kick.

Curt Harms
08-15-2010, 8:03 AM
is easy

available at your favorite WallyWorld :D:D

I compared the fat & calories to "regular" potato salad in our local store. To my surprise the Read german potato salad was lower, with 1/3 the fat and about 2/3 the calories of the store potato salad

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Read-German-Potato-Salad-15-oz/10308521

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Read-German-Potato-Salad-15-oz/10308521