PDA

View Full Version : What safety warnings will they think of next?

Matt Logana
08-13-2010, 1:34 AM
I just was looking at how my new mobile base will go together... and comically I found a tag attached to the wheels saying: "Wear ANSI Approved goggles during use." And Upon reading the manual: "Wear ANSI approved goggles when around casters." I mean really folks.. do they think someone is going to wear goggles everytime they push the saw around... Seems kinda funny since nothing else with casters I have, have that warning. Darned Tiwanese Manufacurers...

Michael Arruda
08-13-2010, 2:57 AM
Ya know what that means, right? Figure out a way to put your eye out with a caster, and then sue all the manufacturers of mobile bases you own without that warning. :rolleyes:

Then sue them again, for good measure, for not having "foot sensing" technology on their casters, which inevitably lead you to stub your toe moving your tools around.

Finally, sue the manufacturer of the base with the warning for not having it in a conspicuous place, at eye level. How are you supposed to see that warning, all the way down there, under your tool?

Then sit back with your millions and wonder where these stupid companies get the ideas for all these warnings.

What really gets me about all the warnings on everything- someone had to have done that stupid thing in the first place and sued for that company to see it as important enough to add a warning.

-Michael

George Sanders
08-13-2010, 5:51 AM
The wood stove in my garage has a warning cast into the top that says: " Warning, hot when in use." Well duh!
I guess that means I can't sit on it and then sue them.:rolleyes:

Dan Karachio
08-13-2010, 7:12 AM
Foot sensing technology... hmmm. You may have something there Michael.

Just yesterday I was moving my jointer around and I was not wearing eye protection. To think I was that close to danger....

I would have expected warnings about tipping whatever is on the stand! Speaking of, do you know why so many vending machines have warnings about rocking them (when things get stuck). They end up falling on people and killing them.

John Coloccia
08-13-2010, 8:42 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and make a prediction: warnings have gotten so long and ridiculous that most people can't make sense of them and just end up ignoring ALL of the warning, even the one or two important ones in there. Manufacturers do this to keep from being sued. "Warning! Do not place cat or other small animals on conveyor belt!" "Warning: Lawnmower is for external use only!". etc...

It's only a matter of time until someone makes the case that their warning are no longer useful and that they've injured themselves because they can't make sense of 4 pages of warnings. That's right. They'll get sued for having TOO many warnings. That's my prediction.

Rod Sheridan
08-13-2010, 8:45 AM
It's only a matter of time until someone makes the case that their warning are no longer useful and that they've injured themselves because they can't make sense of 4 pages of warnings. That's right. They'll get sued for having TOO many warnings. That's my prediction.

John, as you know the lawsuit will be initiated by a woman.

The reason is obvious, men don't read instructions.:D

Regards, Rod.

Kent A Bathurst
08-13-2010, 9:37 AM
Can't see the ladder for the labels.

Clarence Miller
08-13-2010, 9:38 AM
I like Grizzly's warning about small pets and their dust collector. What a mess that would be. I noticed a poison control warning on my mouth wash.

Frank Drew
08-13-2010, 9:54 AM
Nothing to do with manufacturer foolishness and everything to do with our litigious society.

David Winer
08-13-2010, 10:37 AM
What really gets me about all the warnings on everything- someone had to have done that stupid thing in the first place and sued for that company to see it as important enough to add a warning.

-Michael
I don't think so. It's gotten commonplace to sue someone for any injury. Lawyers play safe by adding these ridiculous warnings on manufactured products. It's a cover-your-ass syndrome.

My "favorite" is the ugly stickers on fold-down car sun blinders. They can't be removed and who ever reads them?

Jim Rimmer
08-13-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and make a prediction: warnings have gotten so long and ridiculous that most people can't make sense of them and just end up ignoring ALL of the warning, even the one or two important ones in there. Manufacturers do this to keep from being sued. "Warning! Do not place cat or other small animals on conveyor belt!" "Warning: Lawnmower is for external use only!". etc...

They already have a warning to read the warnings. I guess next warning is to wear ANSI approved safety shoes to prevent foot injury should the warning sign fall off the tool and hit your foot.

Neal Clayton
08-13-2010, 10:56 AM
this is a perfect chastizing of health/safety warnings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BePe0ueyx0o#t=1m9s)

Richard Bell CA
08-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Always liked this one

Bill White
08-13-2010, 11:19 AM
You should see the warnings in my riding mower manual. Doesn't tell ya about how to maintain the tranny, but sure tells ya how to NOT drive the thing.
Bill

John Coloccia
08-13-2010, 11:24 AM
The warning on my food saver admonishes us not to use the extension vacuum tube on any body parts. Whatever could they mean?
:p

I actually like the signage we used on our robots and automated assembly stations. No pages of warning. No cryptic drawings. There's a big sticker with two gears that are meshed together, and someone's mangled fingers getting dragged through the gears. THAT right there tells you everything you need to know about what not to do.

http://www.robotroom.com/SafetySigns.html

Jim Rimmer
08-13-2010, 11:29 AM
The warning on my food saver admonishes us not to use the extension vacuum tube on any body parts. Whatever could they mean?
:p
I think you know but you really don't want to know. :rolleyes:

Eric DeSilva
08-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I noticed a poison control warning on my mouth wash.

Ya know, even without knowing what it said, I might be inclined to change mouthwash.

Matt Logana
08-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I think you know but you really don't want to know. :rolleyes:

But you just know that someone tried it at one point or another and found out that it didnt do what they thought... :eek:

But John, those signs are definately the best at getting the point across. A picture is worth a thousand words... We need some of those at my work, due to the presence of exposed metal fan blades(Think propeller, used for the refrigeration unit), and such...