PDA

View Full Version : No. 15 - Pepper Mill in Cherry & Maple

James Combs
08-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Would you like a little pepper there sir?:rolleyes:

I just finished reading some of the most recent postings for today and there is some really high quality turnings being shown. I am afraid my little pepper mill is going to turn things down a notch.:o Oh...I think it looks good but it certainly doesn't compare to some of the recent postings I have seen today.

I didn't have a chunk of wood large enough so I laminated two pieces of maple between two pieces of cherry and then turned it with the ends off center. I went off center into the thickness of the laminations but I think I should have gone off center into the width. I saw one of these on here a couple of weeks back and thought I would try the same. I should have gone back and looked at the example one more time before I cut wood.:o

Stats:
Material - Cherry & Maple Wood
Grinder - 10" US Mfr. cut to 9"
Length - 9-5/8" to top of chrome thumb nut.
Diameter - 2.25"
Finish - Currently 1st coat of at least 2 Watco Natural (will eventually be waxed and buffed)

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2010, 11:24 PM
That is a beauty James. Really like the wood combo.

David E Keller
08-13-2010, 12:11 AM
That looks nice. I like the fact that you turned it off center... It's much more visually interesting than if you had turned it on center.

Roland Martin
08-13-2010, 6:28 AM
That's pretty neat James. It's going to age well and become even more interesting.

John Keeton
08-13-2010, 6:35 AM
Nice work, JD. I really enjoy seeing all the variety you do. You certainly aren't afraid to venture out - pens, mills, HFs, clamshells.....lots of variety. Must be nice to be retired!!! Someday!!

James Combs
08-13-2010, 9:48 AM
Nice work, JD. I really enjoy seeing all the variety you do. You certainly aren't afraid to venture out - pens, mills, HFs, clamshells.....lots of variety. Must be nice to be retired!!! Someday!!

:DYou haven't seen the metal work that I throw in between wood forms.:D I don't have a forum for them yet.:rolleyes:

steven carter
08-13-2010, 10:07 AM
James,

Very nice peppermill, and will be even better when the cherry darkens. I like the off center slant, gives the allusion of movement.

Steve

Paul Douglass
08-13-2010, 10:08 AM
looks very nice. Something on my list of "wanta try".