PDA

View Full Version : dovetail machine templates

Jim Dunn
12-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Does any one own a Porter Cable dovetail machine? If so do you use or have the 4114 template used to make 1/4" half blind dovetails.

Does it work as well as the 1/2" template? Need to make 8 drawers 2" deep using 1/2" material and the 1/2" dovetail template is going to be to large I'm sure.

Where did you purchase your template? Are you happy with the assembly as a whole?

Any hints or information that would help me locate/use this template would be useful.

Jim Dunn "Kindling Expert"

Jim Becker
12-10-2004, 9:19 AM
While not specific to your template question, Jim, for 2" deep drawers, you'll likely have to make your drawer sides using longer material and cut them off after you cut the joints; using a dado for the drawer back. There is a minimum length of material you can stuff into any of these jigs no matter what the brand. If you want the dovetail look at the back of the drawers, too, just hand cut through dovetails on those ends of the sides.

Dave Richards
12-10-2004, 9:35 AM
Uh, Jim Becker? Um, well, um, I think, um, I think Jim Dunn meant his drawers would have 2" high sides. Maybe I'm wrong.

Jim Becker
12-10-2004, 9:38 AM
He said "deep" and that was how I addressed it, but if they are in fact 2" tall drawers...much easier job. There should be room for two tails, although when I make 2" tall or smaller drawers, I use one larger tail. (But I use the D4, not a fixed jig) Of course, this might be a great opportunity to HAND CUT some half-blinds to do that! One tail per side. (did I really say that???? :D)

Dave Richards
12-10-2004, 9:45 AM
:p

Wouldn't dovetails cut with the D4 qualify as hand cut? You're hand holding the tool that cuts them, right? :D

Jim Becker
12-10-2004, 9:48 AM
Wouldn't dovetails cut with the D4 qualify as hand cut? You're hand holding the tool that cuts them, right?
I am thinking that I need to not risk my growing friendships in the Neander world by "creative characterization" of tools with tails as being "hand tools"...but you do make a good point.

Jim Dunn...you need to 'splain your drawer size/design just a bit more so folks can help you better. We're guessing right now as to exactly what you mean!!

Dave Richards
12-10-2004, 10:07 AM
I imagine I'd better tip toe around the Neanders for awhile after that. :D

Jim Dunn
12-10-2004, 6:26 PM
I answer to Jim's question the drawers will be 2" in depth about 8" long and 18"deep. Further the drawers will probably be made from 1/2" Baltic Birch with 1/4" Baltic birch bottoms.

I realize that they are very shallow drawers but i will be using them for chisels, scales, protractors and various small parts.

I have found a 1/4" template at my local Porter Cable Dealer for about $42.00 and they can deliver in one week.:D

Tom Joad
12-10-2007, 8:06 PM
I have found a 1/4" template at my local Porter Cable Dealer for about $42.00 and they can deliver in one week.:D

this seems to be the place to ask if the Harbor Freight dovetail machine that is on sale for $39.95 is worth consideration and if other templates can be found for it. It only comes with a 1/2 inch dovetail template.

Jack Ganssle
12-10-2007, 8:24 PM
I have that PC template, and it works OK. I've made some boxes with the 1/4" dovetails and they have worked out fine. The 1/2" dovetails seem easier, for some reason. The PC is the only dovetail jig I've used so my take is based on limited experience. A lot of people have said it's really easy to make dovetails on it. Me, I find I spend a lot of time doing the setup to get things perfect, as the engineer in me won't tolerate the smallest gaps. So I cut several test pieces before inserting the real work.

The router bit they supply for this template is not carbide tipped, and is an odd size I can't find anywhere else.

As always, tear out is a hassle so use every sort of backing board you can. (At least on hard maple).

Jack

Jim Dunn
12-10-2007, 11:02 PM
I hate to be reminded how old I am:eek::eek: This thread is older than my oldest granddaughter:D