PDA

View Full Version : Combination saw blade without the combination...

Ben Rivenbark
08-12-2010, 10:35 PM
If I am understanding things right, a combination blade typically has an ATB+R tooth pattern with four alternating top bevel teeth commonly ground at 10 degrees followed by a square raker tooth with a 0 degree grind to yield a more flat bottom than a solely ATB grind would.

I read a few reviews and decided that I would try the Ridgid R1050C which was recommended in a woodworking magazine a while back as one of the best blades under 50 bucks. Everything says that the R1050C is an ATB+R blade, and while in the packaging it looked to be so.

When I looked closely at it at home, I noticed that the raker tooth isn't a raker at all, but just another 10 degree beveled tooth followed by a large gullet to help in chip removal. It seems to me that I got a 50 tooth general purpose ATB blade with large gullets after every fifth tooth.

For my work right now, it probably won't matter a bit, but it just bugs me. So my question is this: Does anyone else have this blade, and if so, is yours the same? Or, has anyone ever had a similar blade?

The blade has an impressive feature set for the price, so I'll probably keep it especially since the cashier took my printed-off-the-internet Harbour Freight 20% off coupon which made it cost in the low 30's.

I'd like to thank all who participate on the forum and have helped me get my woodworking started. I just made my first ever trip to the hardwood store today :) It smelled soooo goooodd........ :)

Leigh Betsch
08-13-2010, 10:42 AM
I have several Forrest WWII's, the only one that cuts a flat bottom is the special grind that I have on one of them. Maybe these aren't combination blades, they call them "all purpose" blades.

Chip Lindley
08-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Ben, even though you got the blade at 20% off, Ridgid's labeling is in error. Take the blade back to the store and call their attention to the descrepancy. They can open up another packaged blade and see if yours was a grinding fluke, or if they are all that way. A guy should get what he pays for (and expects!)

I once had a Craftsman 48T (TCG) blade resharpened by Sears recommended local shop (drop them off and pick them up at Sears) Every 3rd "dog-ear" tooth was ground to the same face angle as the alternate bevel teeth! I complained to Sears and was given the name of the sharpener. He had no good explaination, and offered to replace the blade with new, and did! The funniest part is, the brand new 48T TCG blade ordered from Sears had the faces of all teeth ground FLAT--no bevel! I had to re-order again to get what I wanted!!!

Dan Karachio
08-13-2010, 11:30 AM
I used to use these, but kept forgetting the combination and was locked out of using my saw.

Ryan Hellmer
08-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Did you check the 1st of 3rd tooth as well? I know some combination blades move the raker to obscure locations. By rights it should be the first tooth in each 5 pack because it would need the largest gullet in front of it for efficient chip removal. I think my infinity combo-max lite puts a chamfered raker in the number 3 spot. I'll verify later.

Ryan

Tom Walz
08-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Each saw blade manufacturer gets to decide their own designs. Occasionally there are patent issue involved.

Often a General Purpose will be different than a Combination.

The idea behind a 4 + 1 is that the sharper points make cleaner cuts than a flat top tip. This is especially true if there are both top and face bevels.

Tom

Brian Gumpper
08-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Ridgid shows that blade on their website as an ATB+R. I would take it back and see if they had one that was correct.

Technically, a blade like 40T with all ATB teeth is a general purpose blade and the 50T ATB+R would be combination blades.