PDA

View Full Version : Bar Top Finish

Tony Bilello
08-12-2010, 9:38 PM
I am about to bid on a job where the owner wants a Bar Top Finish. I have never done this before and am looking for people that actually have used this stuff. I will be using Envirotex because that is what I can get locally. These type finishes are probably all the same or close to it. Anyway, I don’t need info on cost or mixing. I need info for the actual application. The person I need to talk to locally is on vacation this week and next week and I want to get a price out by Monday morning. From what I gather, it is not difficult I just have to work fast.
What do I really need to know?
Thanks in advance.

Scott Holmes
08-13-2010, 12:29 AM
What type of wood?

Working fast is not that big a deal. Working LEVEL is a big deal.

A thin first coat will allow the finish to soak in and seal the wood; so, when you do the thick coat you will not have trapped air coming up after it has started to cure.

The heat, NOT the FLAME, from a propane torch will help pop the bubbles that come up while it still wet. Hair drier and heat guns are too much air and too much heat.

Tony Bilello
08-13-2010, 8:16 AM
I will be using Honduras mahogany. I was thinking of using the hose from my Earlex 5000 because it always has warm air coming out. I was told that it was not good to 're-coat' or use more than one coat unless I wait at least 8 hours. Is this true?
The cost is over $100/gallon but I will order plenty extra to practice on.
Thanks for thr speedy reply.

Scott Holmes
08-13-2010, 9:41 AM
I don't know about using the HVLP hose. I'm not sure if the warm air or the CO2 is more important. I'd try the HVLP; no chance of "flame" damage.

I like to brush on the first light coat and let it dry over night. I'm sure if it says 8 hours then that's long enough.

Real Honduras Mahogany? Really, where are you getting your supply in the Houston area?

HM is one I would definitely give a first seal coat to stop late developing bubbles.

Tony Bilello
08-13-2010, 8:18 PM
A friend of mine is storing about 20 8/4 boards between 6 an 8 " wide and 8 -10 ' long in my shop. He said I can take a few if I need them, but I will insist on paying him for it.
I called Houston Hardwoods yesterday and asked for a price on Honduras Mahogany and they gave me $8.25/ BF for 8/4. I assume that it is Honduras mahog, because other mahog's are usually much less. Up until a read a post on here yesterday that Hun. Mahog was hard to get, I never realized it. I dont know my mahogs that well but I do know that what I have been getting is not African mahog because I hate that stuff. very hard and very brittle.

Scott Holmes
08-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks.

The very best mahogany in the world; we can't bring into the country.

Cuban Mahogany

Lee Koepke
08-13-2010, 10:30 PM
I found out that even 'dead level' on my builders level isnt dead level for pourable epoxy :D

the thin coat first is some advice I wish I had, it would let me know that I needed to shim up a bit, it also would have showed me the one little tiny leak I had in one corner.

As long as you arent pouring too thick ( over 1/2" ) the heat build up isnt too terribly concerning. I put up a fan in the general vicinity to circulate the air and dissapate the heat a bit. Still had a couple of bubbles / waves, but its only something I can see!

Tony Bilello
08-14-2010, 7:18 PM
BTW, I called a few friends and all have been buying Honduras Mahog on a regular basis. I was surpriosed that there were people on here claiming it was hard to come by. I called Houston Hardwoods again this morning and they said they always carried it. The only difference is that the price went up slightly but they still have tons of it. I realize that many people don't live near any 'real' hardwood suppliers and that may account for it. Anyone living near a big city should not have a problem.