PDA

View Full Version : It only took three months to finish

ken cardin
08-12-2010, 4:58 PM
I promised my self that I would not post any message until I had read all the archives. Well let me tell you that it took three months to read the 800+.
For all the newbies...take the time to go through all the messages and watch your skill levels increase. This is my first post of three pens that I turned by using knowledge gained from the posts.
Pen 1 is a three color wood segmented with walnut, mesquite, and maple
Pen 2 is a pen made from the pith of two pine cones.
pen 3 is a blue acrylic segmented with a green acrylic using brass as a separator.

Comments appreciated

Thom Sturgill
08-12-2010, 5:01 PM
Very nice. I haven't tried any of the 'segmented' pens yet, and I love the pine cones. How did they turn?

ken cardin
08-12-2010, 5:04 PM
Trimmed them up on the band saw then used CA to help the pith ends and used a skew to take them down to the pith....used CA from time to time to help firm up the pith. Finish is CA.

David Christopher
08-12-2010, 5:10 PM
welcome to the creek Ken, all three pens are very nice but I like the pine cone the best

was the pine cone already on the ground and dry ?

brian watts
08-12-2010, 5:14 PM
pine cones get my vote..

ken cardin
08-12-2010, 5:50 PM
Yep the pine cones are on the ground and drys. It takes one full cone for the top and another for the bottom. I thought about using the microwave to help dry them but have not tried it.

Chris Colman
08-12-2010, 6:57 PM
Oooh! Pine cones....

Good idea. Looks better than corn cobs.

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2010, 7:58 PM
Welcome to SMC. Pens look great.

Steve Schlumpf
08-12-2010, 7:59 PM
Ken - Welcome! Very nice work on all three pens but the Pine Cone pen really stands out! Really cool! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

John Keeton
08-12-2010, 8:20 PM
Ken, welcome, and you get the prize for the day!! Anyone that has the fortitude to withstand posting until reading 800+ threads deserves some kind of medal!!

Nice set of pens, and who would have ever thought of using pine cone piths!?!?! Really neat.

Donny Lawson
08-12-2010, 9:18 PM
Welcome,and very nice pens.I also like the pine cone pen.I might have to try that sometime.
Donny

David E Keller
08-12-2010, 9:22 PM
Welcome aboard. After reading all of the posts, you may be the most knowledgable turner on the forum!

Nice work on the pens... I love the look of the segmented pen.

James Combs
08-12-2010, 9:29 PM
Pine cone is my choice too. How about re-posting them with a lighter background. It helps to see the details better.

ken cardin
08-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I know..photo tent time...maybe next month

Trevor Howard
08-13-2010, 12:21 PM
All three are very nice pens Ken. Like everyone else the pine cone is my favorite and thanks for the idea I have a ton of them around my yard.

Paul Douglass
08-13-2010, 1:12 PM
Looks like you learned well going through all the posts. I'd still be reading. Nice pens. I've done pine cone and when I did it took a LOT of CA. Some people cast them first. I want to try that but I think you would have to use a pressure pot, which I don't have and don't want to bother with. Some have also soaked them in wood saver for 24 or so hours and then let dry for several days. I tried that but it didn't work for me.

Rich Stewart
08-13-2010, 2:07 PM
He could make a bonker out of this pine cone.