PDA

View Full Version : New here + shaper question

Chuck Dienzo
08-12-2010, 4:49 PM
Hey Y'all,

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name Chuck and I've been a long-time lurker here. My wife & I bought our house just under a year ago and I'm in the middle of (finally) getting organized- I get to use our entire garage to set up my woodworking shop. Our home is older, so the advertised "2 car" garage would only live up to its name if one of our cars was a Mini Cooper- which it's not. The space is about 18'w x 20'l and must currently houses my tools, yard equipment and bicycles. I'll be sure to update as things get done.

Anyway.... yesterday, I traded for a Delta HD shaper (43-351) in very good condition. I noticed that it's only got one wing extension. Looking through the manual, it seems that the other wing was available as an optional accessory. My question is, what benefits would (could) adding the 2nd wing provide? That 2nd wing would be located "behind" the cutter and fence and seems like it would only take up precious shop space, since the effective "working" area is located in front. Am I missing something here?

For those interested in knowing, I traded a Canon EOS Rebel XTi (Digital SLR camera) straight-up for the shaper. It was largely unused because it served as my backup rig. My current router is almost as old as me, but still runs strong for hand-held work. I figured that this trade would be more cost-effective than buying a bigger router + buying/building a table.

Paul Johnstone
08-12-2010, 5:08 PM
The wing on the infeed side will make give you more support for shaping long pieces.

Without knowing what you intend to do with the shaper, it's hard to say if it's worth it or not.

Chip Lindley
08-12-2010, 5:13 PM
Chuck! Welcome to SMC. I don't miss the 2nd table wing on my HD shaper at all. It serves no purpose unless you orient the shaper sideways to use the width of both wings. But, that way, the fence and dust shroud are unusable unless new threaded holes are bored. So, IMO, don't sweat the 2nd table wing.

Buying your shaper is a start. Now you can plan which cutters to purchase for it. Hopefully, your shaper has a 3/4" spindle, which will hold a virtual plethora of carbide cutters made for every conceivable shape. A 1/2" spindle would come in handy for running older HSS shaper cutters.

You will find that the shaper does not replace a router, but compliments it in a larger way. Routers are still indespensible for jobs they do better, in a smaller way.

mickey cassiba
08-12-2010, 6:10 PM
Hi Chuck
I worked for Delta for a while, reconditioning machinery. As far as I remember, none of the 3/5 hp cabinet style shapers were sold with two wings. I'm sure that a lot of them were customized, as in rotating the guard/fence assembly 90 degrees, but you lose the utility of the miter gauge slot(not a big deal for serious shaper users). I replaced lots of tops with bolt holes and, once, a cutout for a router plate.
I don't think you're missing anything...the space behind the fence only gathers junk.
FWIW, Mick

Chuck Dienzo
08-12-2010, 7:20 PM
Thanks for the tips & info. Unfortunately, my shaper only has the 1/2" spindle. I've found someone online who re-tools the Grizzly 3/4" spindles so that they fit the older Delta shapers- waaay less expensive than what Delta wants for one. Luckily, there are about a dozen 1/2" cutters that were included. The hard part will be matching up any that may be "paired", since they are all loose in a shoebox.

As far its usage, I plan to use it to build the usual, i.e. cabinet doors, moulding. Would the shaper be an appropriate tool for joinery? It seems like many people prefer to make dadoes, grooves and rabbets at the router table, but I haven't heard of people going with a shaper for those tasks.

On the same topic, can anyone recommend a good shaper book/guide/manual? Something along the lines of "tablesaw magic" or similar would be nice.

Steve Costa
08-12-2010, 8:13 PM
"The Shaper Book" by Lonnie Bird. Published by Taunton Books & Videos. Taunton Product No. 070251. Printed in 1996.

If you have never used a shaper before I suggest you enroll in a local junior college and make your first doors etc. under the direction of a well qualified instructor. The book will be a great guide but nothing beats clear & specific hands on instructions.

Shapers can be unforgiving tools if not used correctly.

Steve

Peter Quinn
08-12-2010, 8:14 PM
It is much easier to use some temporary tables or roller stands for support on long work than to add the second table. Where it does come in handy is for freehand pattern work, curves and such using a flush trim or rabbit set up running off a bearing and starting pin or some other starting point. Its tough to simulate the support of that iron wing with a shop made solution. If you do lots of that you may want a bigger table surface. But for most straight shaping off a fence, I would't bother. My delta HD came used, and had both wings. It also had bolt holes so the fence could go either parallel with the miter slot or perpendicular to it. Not sure if that was factory or a retrofit as I bought it from a professional machinist (hobby wood worker) who could easily have tapped it himself.

I upgraded from the crappy old delta fence to the newer stile X5 fence and had to tap new holes for that. Its really not very hard and requires only minimal tooling and a good slow speed drill. Not a big deal. I have only used the delta going the long way once or twice, mostly with a long panel hood I made. I have not even bothered to tap the table in that orientation for the new fence.

Mike Heidrick
08-12-2010, 9:18 PM
Hi Chuck
I worked for Delta for a while, reconditioning machinery. As far as I remember, none of the 3/5 hp cabinet style shapers were sold with two wings. I'm sure that a lot of them were customized, as in rotating the guard/fence assembly 90 degrees, but you lose the utility of the miter gauge slot(not a big deal for serious shaper users). I replaced lots of tops with bolt holes and, once, a cutout for a router plate.
I don't think you're missing anything...the space behind the fence only gathers junk.
FWIW, Mick

43-460 and 43-455 come with two wings.