PDA

View Full Version : HF Router any good?

Matt Logana
08-12-2010, 3:48 PM
I want to start building a router cabinet, but was wondering if the HF router is any good. I need one to do the dados with, until I get an RAS or TS... And its the cheapest plunge router: It has five stars, but am weary that their employees didnt do that.

george wilson
08-12-2010, 4:25 PM
I doubt that you will get real good bearings for a very cheap price. I think bearings are everything in a router.

Others may like their HF router. I prefer my Bosch.

Will Overton
08-12-2010, 4:26 PM
If you were buying a router to do a job or two, maybe. If you're 90 years old, it will probably last you a lifetime. If you're younger than that, and want something to last a lifetime, get something a little better.

Chip Lindley
08-12-2010, 4:58 PM
Buy Once, Cry Once! Anything Harbor Freight is only good for the short-term, and serves a purpose in that respect. Buy a good router and enjoy it for a long long time to come. Bosch; Milwaukee; Porter-Cable are keepers. There are others. Chicago and HF are not among them. You get what you pay for New; but there are great values in older, Used, name-brand routers.

Myk Rian
08-12-2010, 5:15 PM
Get a Craftsman. They have some very nice routers now.

Matt Logana
08-12-2010, 5:22 PM
The only reason I asked, was because I am going there to get a mobile base for my BS, and figured i could use a new project... but considering I have a $200-500 vet bill now... I dont think any purchases are in my future.. over a hundred.. or so

Tony Bilello
08-12-2010, 5:49 PM
Anything with a motor and bearings from HF is pure junk. I have always returned every electric tool I have bought there. I screwed up because I was tempted by the price. Their HP rating is overrated compared to other manufacturers. If you use their tool for 5 minutes a month, it might last a year or so. At least from my experience.

george wilson
08-12-2010, 6:10 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of good used routers out there. Keep track of the classified section here.

Don Alexander
08-12-2010, 7:52 PM
short answer is NO :D

Matt Logana
08-12-2010, 8:49 PM
Anything with a motor and bearings from HF is pure crap. I have always returned every electric tool I have bought there. I screwed up because I was tempted by the price. Their HP rating is overrated compared to other manufacturers. If you use their tool for 5 minutes a month, it might last a year or so. At least from my experience.

The angle grinder I got from there is good; although it gets a tad warm if you run a wire brush on it....

Well I declined to get it; after having to spend $500 on a vet bill coupled with what I assume will be another $200 for a recheck/third x-ray....

Maybe in a while Ill get it... either that or a saw off CL... whatever comes along first...

Neil Brooks
08-12-2010, 9:00 PM
I hope ... whatever it is that cost you $500, at the vet ... is well, or will be well soon :)

Matt Logana
08-12-2010, 10:06 PM
I hope ... whatever it is that cost you $500, at the vet ... is well, or will be well soon :)

Unfortunately that is not to be; The cat has a distended stomach, which they fear to be a blockage. They gave her an injection of Pepsid, which appears to have made her less lathagic, but the outlook is grim... we'll see if she is still vomitting in the morning.

They told me, since I am not looking to persue 2grand worth of surgery, should that injection fail, I should have her euthanized, since she will end up suffering.

Now I have to go back on Monday for a hundred dollar X-ray...

The place is a rip-off so I found out... $20 for a ziplock non-sterilized baggy to do a fecal test....

This is going to be heart-wrenching to have to do... (Euthinasia, not the hundred dollar test.. lol)

Neil Brooks
08-12-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm sorry, Matt.

I wish you peace.....

Matt Logana
08-12-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm sorry, Matt.

I wish you peace.....

Thank You, Neil.

Jim Rimmer
08-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Matt, sorry to hear about the cat. We have just spent about the same amount on a cat that adopted us just before Hurricane Ike but she is doing well.

As to the router, check out eBay (I know some don't like it) but you can occasionally find a bargain there. I just bought a Bosch Colt for about $50 less than retail and have purchased PC 690s there (for less than $100). Just be aware of what the retail price is and check the shipping costs.

Matt Logana
08-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Matt, sorry to hear about the cat. We have just spent about the same amount on a cat that adopted us just before Hurricane Ike but she is doing well.

As to the router, check out eBay (I know some don't like it) but you can occasionally find a bargain there. I just bought a Bosch Colt for about $50 less than retail and have purchased PC 690s there (for less than $100). Just be aware of what the retail price is and check the shipping costs.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ill take a look-see.

Glad to hear yours is doing fine....
-Thats the thing I hate about pets... they grow on you, and when you finally have to put them down/they pass, its like losing a member of the family.

Josh Reet
08-13-2010, 1:14 PM
FWIW, the reviews that appear on harborfreight.com seem to be fairly honest. There are any number of complaints and bad reviews on various items as well. but keep in mind that the new version of their site (which includes the review feature) has only been up a couple months. Yes, that router has 5 stars, but it only has 2 reviews. Which isn't a very good sample size for anything. I'm not saying that there couldn't be shill or fake reviews up there. But to be honest, every review I have run across so far (with a useful sample size) has more or less mirrored what I have experienced myself or have seen posted in other places on the net. So I personally trust them as far as I trust any internet 'review'. Which is to say "as one source of information". I don't ever put full stock into anything I see from a single source on the internet.

I'm a lot more supportive about HF stuff than a lot of guys on SMC. But then again, I think I have less of a tool budget than a lot of guys here as well. Still, I tend to use HF for stuff that I'm going to use infrequently, beat the hell out of, or don't need to be exact with. My bigger routers are milwaukee and PC, but my little trim router is a HF because it's something I just use once in a while for little inexact projects. Same deal with their "multi-tool" and their portable bandsaws.

HF is what it is and serves a purpose and price point. That purpose and price point serving you specifically is really dependent on your needs and your pocketbook.

Paul Incognito
08-13-2010, 3:29 PM
Matt,
I have a router I'll let go of cheap if you're interested. PM me for details.
PI

scott spencer
08-13-2010, 4:06 PM
Matt - I've had some luck with some less critical HF tools, but a router would be the last tool I'd grab from them. Every year some amazing deals on good routers pop up. I bought a refurbed Hitachi M12VC for $67 to my door, a new Milwaukee 5615 fixed/plunge kit for $120 shipped, a Milwaukee 5625 for $190 shipped, and a Freud FT1700 for ~ $85 shipped. Even the new Craftsman routers are getting good reports and go on sale in the $80 range pretty frequently.

Keep your eyes peeled and hold out for a better router....it's a fairly critical tool IMO.

terry richards
08-13-2010, 5:04 PM
I have a "2 HP" unit from HF. I use it only with a roundover bit on decks, docks, exterior stairs, etc. It makes lots of noise, vibrates, and puts out ozone fumes. It kicks like a mule when you switch it off. All that, but it somehow keeps on running. I don't have much invested; if I drop it off a dock into the water, or off a deck onto concrete, not much loss.

But...I doubt I would try to use it on a router table. That is a more demanding application where you need a unit that will stand being used upside down where dust and chips fall into it, not spin away Plus, on a table, you would likely do more precision work with more complex bits. I have a Freud unit mounted under my table, and am very happy with that combo, especially the soft start feature. Once I mounted it, that router has never left the table.

I also have a small Craftsman that I rarely use, because it doesn't have enough power to sharpen a pencil. OK for chamfers and for grooving, but not much else.

Net of all this: I recommend you save a while and spend a little more for your table application. You will be happier in the future.

Don Dorn
08-13-2010, 6:13 PM
I'm a little more open to HF than some here as there is one a mile away and I have a few things that are non-critical that turned out very well and lasted along time. I'm still using the Dust Collector after three years with no trouble and their "top end" lathe works very well. A few Pittsburg tools do well for non heavy-duty work.

That said - I'd skip the router and other corded power tools of the same size. As mentioned before, you probably should figure the bearings are questionable when new, let alone after a few hours of running time. For the reasonable cost of a PC or Makita combination unit, it's definately worth saving a few more dollars.

Matt Logana
08-13-2010, 6:22 PM
Thats funny, because I got their mobile base... and you can see the inside of the bearings... when a wheel turns.. the bearings stay stuck like glue.. although, the wheels seem to turn smoothe...

As well as the grease they use has the consistancy/look of grape jelly... but I found that it definately isnt(tastes awful)...lol....

I can move the bearings with a tack... but tahts about it...

Terry Urton
08-13-2010, 7:33 PM
Well I guess I am the exception here but so far I have had good luck with my HF router. I have they're small trim router mounted to my home made CNC. It runs for hours and some times it gets a real workout. I always get the extended warranty but only had to take one back once when the switch went out. If I can run one for two years for $30 to me that is a good deal. I'm sure a good router will last longer but for my money its done fine. I would realy like to get a porter cable my budget keeps me from that at this time.

Hope your cat gets better.

Stuart Nelson
08-13-2010, 7:37 PM
I second CraigsList. I recently bought a PC 690 combo (regular base and plunge base, case, and wrenches) for $50. He said it "didn't work" (it was arcing). Paid $8 for new brushes and it works fine. I bought the same set new several years ago for $200 which is still working fine. Good luck..

Nathan Callender
08-13-2010, 10:00 PM
I actually do buy from HF for some items, so I'm not a an HF hater, but their routers I would steer clear of. I've looked at them in the store, and they don't seem worth the money considering that there are much better routers out there for the same or a little more money. I'm personally fond of the hitachi 2 and 3 hp routers, and there are plenty of others. Believe if or not, but amazon does have some sweet deals on routers from time to time.

Mark A Johnson
08-14-2010, 12:27 AM
Do yourself a favor, spend more and get a quality tool. I own a 690 that the switch went bad in, so I purchased an 891 comb. Just within the PC product line what a big difference. Its much smoother and produces much cleaner work. Plus the variable speed is big bonus. So if you plan on doing much work, do yourself a favor and spring for a quality router, ever if it gently used.