PDA

View Full Version : First "Real" Hollow Form...

David DeCristoforo
08-12-2010, 3:41 PM
This falls into the category of a "calculated risk". It's turned from a cherry burl that grew on a branch. The burl was almost exactly the shape of this finished form. The branch was about 3" in diameter on the "trunk side" and 2" on the "limb side" of the burl. It was probably big enough to split and make two smaller pieces from but it begged to be left whole. Of course that meant that the piece had the dreaded "pith" running right through the center so the risk of cracking and distorting was huge. And if it had gone "weewah" it probably would have pithed me off. But I think the "powers that be" were in agreement with me about leaving it whole because there was only the slightest distortion and a couple of very small cracks that were easily filled. There is also one small "soft spot" that is a result of an inclusion that I did not completely remove because it would have meant narrowing the top part of the form which I did not want to do.

I also learned something about my Monster hollowing system. The rear capture bars are configured to place the centerline of the boring bar slightly above center. Then the tool rest is set to place the cutter on the centerline. The "problem" is that. because of the resulting slight downward angle of the boring bar, the deeper you go, the farther the cutter drops below center. At around six to seven inches deep, things get pretty bumpy so you have to keep raising the tool rest to lift the cutter back up to center. With a small opening, it becomes necessary to also drop the capture bars to maintain any clearance between the boring bar and the wood. "Unfortunately" the post that holds the capture bar bottoms out in the holder so it cannot be lowered past a certain point. I talked to Randy about this and he suggested grinding a bit off the post to allow it to drop a bit more, something that I will do very soon.

The "special" swan neck tool holder Randy made for me was a blessing. It worked great for cleaning out the "shoulder" using a cutter instead of a scraper.

The finial was one I had already made that was going to reside on another piece that did not "make it" (RIP) It seems to be fairly happy on this form. Being that is is cherry, I expect the color will darken over time, bringing out the amazing figure in this piece of wood.

Still got a long way to go but this turning is a lot of fun and completely challenging…

Thom Sturgill
08-12-2010, 3:58 PM
Absolutely beautiful piece of wood and vary well done vessel. Nice finial too, I like what you did with the 'inside' portion.

charlie knighton
08-12-2010, 4:45 PM
very nice....

Andy Hoyt
08-12-2010, 4:58 PM
Sweet. Real sweet.

David Christopher
08-12-2010, 5:03 PM
David, that is beautiful

Scott Hackler
08-12-2010, 5:22 PM
Very nice David. I also like the bottom treatment of the finial. Very nice chuck of wood, too!

Mark Hubl
08-12-2010, 5:26 PM
Very very nice David. That wood is terrific. Shape and finial are very good.

brian watts
08-12-2010, 5:29 PM
very nice . i like it . the wood is sweet.

Jack Tyree
08-12-2010, 5:46 PM
That's the neatest burl I think I've ever seen, and it's hard to believe it's cherry. The piece is beautiful with or without the finial - it's works great either way. Makes me want a Mini-Monster even worse!

(I really wish you'd put up a gallery.)

David DeCristoforo
08-12-2010, 6:24 PM
"... it's hard to believe it's cherry..."

It's the wildest piece of cherry I've ever had, that's for sure!

William Hutchinson
08-12-2010, 6:39 PM
Double D, that piece is spectacular that will only get better with age. Good show.

Randy Privett
08-12-2010, 7:01 PM
VERY,VERY Nice!

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2010, 7:54 PM
Extremely nice piece.

Don Alexander
08-12-2010, 8:25 PM
Awesome :):)

John Keeton
08-12-2010, 8:26 PM
David, you did well!! That is one beautiful piece of cherry burl, and certainly the nicest I have seen. The form looks very nice, and I like the finial, as well. I just want everyone to recall that when you showed up on the "round side" I predicted some beautiful stuff from you!! You certainly have the talent and the eye for design.

Jon Lanier
08-12-2010, 8:34 PM
Wow!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Steve Schlumpf
08-12-2010, 8:47 PM
David - very impressive first effort! Beautiful wood - pleasing form and you did a great job on your double-ended finial!

Looking forward to seeing HF #2!

Carl Miller
08-12-2010, 8:48 PM
David. That looks really nice. I didn't know cherry like that could be found. I have got to try a real HF one of these days. Thanks for sharing.

Tom Sherman
08-12-2010, 9:03 PM
El Guapo, you have done very well with the Cherry burl, and finial.

Baxter Smith
08-12-2010, 9:18 PM
Very nice work! I have only turned a few cherry burl pieces but that type of grain looks similar to ones I did where the outside of the form was part sapwood on the outside of the burl. Don't know if that was the case here or not. You didn't happen to notice what it was like on the inside did you?;)

David E Keller
08-12-2010, 9:27 PM
Nicely done, sir. That is a really special piece of wood, and you've done it proud. Thanks for the monster tip as well.

I may have missed it, but how big is the finish form?

James Combs
08-12-2010, 9:38 PM
Nicely done, sir. That is a really special piece of wood, and you've done it proud. Thanks for the monster tip as well.

I may have missed it, but how big is the finish form?

Ditto...and where did you find such a wonderful piece of wood??:confused:

James Roberts
08-12-2010, 9:43 PM
Gorgeous piece of wood David and a fine job of bringing out all the character of the burl. Finial is just right for this piece as well.

David DeCristoforo
08-12-2010, 9:57 PM
"...the outside of the form was part sapwood on the outside of the burl..."

This burl was "whole" with the bark still on. The figure started to emerge as soon as the bark came off so yes, the figure is "part sapwood". But the sapwood layer was pretty thin and the "webbing" in the grain goes "all the way through.". The center was heartwood but exactly where the sapwood stops and the heartwood begins is not clearly defined. It all kind of swirls together.

David DeCristoforo
08-12-2010, 10:00 PM
"...how big is the finish form?..."

It's six inches at the "fattest" part and nine tall... fourteen with the finial...

gary Zimmel
08-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Well done David. Very well done...

Rob Cunningham
08-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Great HF out of some outstanding wood.

Michelle Rich
08-14-2010, 6:48 AM
WOW it's a TOTAL beauty..I adore that magnificient finial and the vase is just delightful to my eyes. Thanks for sharing this with us

Roland Martin
08-14-2010, 8:14 AM
Phenomenal:eek:!!! From form to finish, this is an absolutely impressive piece. I can't imagine doing that burl any more justice. "Your First HF???" Like John predicted, you've got what it takes, for sure! Thanks for posting this beauty:)

David DeCristoforo
08-14-2010, 12:57 PM
...for all the comments and words of encouragement. I know that most of the people on this forum have spent way more time at the lathe than I have and that it would be arrogant of me, at this point, to refer to myself as a "turner". There are so many talented people here! Guys like Leo who have turned more pieces in one week than I have in my entire lifetime. Guys like Steve and John K. and David K. and Keith Burns and others too numerous to list who's work demonstrates a mastery of technique that I will be pursuing for a long time to come. It's really nice to have such fine company in what would be an otherwise pretty solitary endeavor.

Thanx again to all...

Josh Bowman
08-14-2010, 2:37 PM
David, that is very nice. I really like the wood.

John Hart
08-14-2010, 3:23 PM
Dang...that thing's gorgeous David! You sure have come a long way in a short time. The wood is wonderful, and your form is perfectly complimentary.

That finial looks right at home too.

Nicely done.:)