PDA

View Full Version : Monster Review Needed

William Hutchinson
08-12-2010, 3:24 PM
I know that several of you fine folks recently acquired a Monster Hollowing system. I would be most interested in your reviews and recommendations.

TIA

David DeCristoforo
08-12-2010, 3:45 PM
I for one am thrilled with my Monster system. It's not without it's idiosyncrasies but that is to be expected of anything this complex. I would highly recommend ordering the "special" articulated arm shown here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=145358

Also, you may want to read the second paragraph of my latest post:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1488886#post1488886

Alan Trout
08-12-2010, 4:00 PM
I have had the articulated arm unit for quite some time and it is a great tool. I have taken mine to about 9 inches without problem but at that depth it take a delicate touch. I am putting together my own D handle for deeper vessels but will still use the articulated arm 90% of the time.

Good Luck

Alan

John Keeton
08-12-2010, 8:03 PM
William, in my short turning experience, I have done perhaps 5-6 hollow forms with Jeff Nicol's tool. It does a great job, and is very much worth the money. And, to compare it to any articulated or captured system would be unfair.

At 61, I am in fairly good physical shape, I exercise regularly, and I never got sore from hollowing. But, it is very abusive to one's wrist, lower arm, elbow and shoulder. I am afraid of the tools with the wrist attachment used to reduce the torque.

That said, the Monster rig, for me, was a life changing experience!:) And, I don't think I have overstated that. In use, the monster is effortless - a true joy. It is very well designed, and the craftsmanship is first class. The laser is very easy to set - though as David says, the whole system has a learning curve. One must always consider the laser position in relationship to the actual cutting surface - given the angle of approach to the inside surface.

I would advise either waxing or spraying WD40 on the entire unit before use and periodically or after each session. With the heat and humidity, I apparently neglected to consider my salty perspiration on the unit and ended up with some surface rust. No damage, but my pride was hurt!:(:o

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2010, 8:05 PM
William I have both the captured and articulating arm. I love them both and they both have their place. If I was to have just one it would be the articulating arm unit. Nothing better in my mind.

David E Keller
08-12-2010, 9:47 PM
I just received my combo system last week(I haven't even had time to post a gloat). I've only used the articulated system, but it is an absolute joy. I'll post a little cedar HF I made in the near future... It's my first finished piece using the monster system.

Unlike Mr. Keeton, I did get sore from hand held hollowing with the little Sorby midi hollowmaster( and I'm only 37). I'll still use it for shoulder areas on forms, but my days of hand hollowing deeply are OVER! I cut one of my old HF in half on the bandsaw and did the same with a little practice piece I did with the monster. My wall thickness and interior surface finish were superior using the articulated system when compared with a piece I hand hollowed. I also find that I can work much faster and more relaxed with the articulated system.

I'm glad I learned to hollow with hand held tools because I think the techniques carry over in a big way to a captured or articulated system. I'll let you know more as I have some time to play with my new tool/toy.

James Combs
08-12-2010, 9:57 PM
Yeap, got one in my shopping cart and will be pushing the button soon. I have only turned a couple of what would be considered HF's but that was a learning experience. I learn that I don't like the stress. Stress is not good for a retiree.

Michael James
08-12-2010, 11:52 PM
I have the mini system on order, based on feed back from users here. Should be shipping out next week sometime. Randy is building it to work on the mini I have and the midi Im going to get.
I also use Jeff N.s 3/8 and 1/4" (thank you Jeff) hollowing tool and am learning to use it as well. I aim to work mostly on artsy hollow forms and I want to be able to do it either way. As a newbie, and hopfully forever, I want to be able to build my skillsets and increase my options.
If you see hollowforms in your future, look around the net. There are several systems available. This one seems to have the features I'd like to invest in.
mj

Bill Blasic
08-13-2010, 6:59 AM
William,
You will not be disappointed with any of Randy's products. I simply love the Articulated Hollowing System. I bought different bases for all my lathes so I could use it or the captured rig on any of my lathes. I reviewed the articulated system in Woodturning Design Magazine Issue #26 Summer 2010.
Bill

Chris Stolicky
08-13-2010, 8:40 AM
I have seen both systems and have used the articulated setup. They are very nice and Randy is good to work with. They are pricey, however, but quality does come at a price.

I may end up with one eventually, but I am assembling my own version in the near future and see how that goes.

If you have the money, you will not be disappointed with Randy's products.

William Hutchinson
08-13-2010, 9:17 AM
Thanks all for providing quick and unbiased information. One thing I would like to know is how you all perfected the mystifying ability to implant subliminal messages in forum text. I’ve never spent this much currency as quickly with any diversion; well except for the dearly beloved, but not missed, 32’ sailing money maelstrom.

Monster Lathe Tools / Superior Design and Machine

Products Ordered SKU MAP-HDX Product Monster Articulated Arm Hollowing System

Product Custom Handle for Captive or Articulated Arm Hollowing Systems

Michael James
08-13-2010, 9:40 AM
It's mystefying for sure, yet consistent. It's the turner's version of the Siren's song. And it's a deep hole......:cool:
Once you submit, you will notice nobody is complaining!
Have a blast!
michael