PDA

View Full Version : Newbe turner here

Jim Vieira
08-12-2010, 2:33 PM
Hi Guys, I'm new to the board and new to turning . I just bought my first lathe which is a Rikon mini along with "learning to turn" by Barry Gross. I did a lot of research before buying my lathe and for the money it seemed like a good place to start. I also bought a set of high speed steel gouges to learn with. I'm sure I'll ask a lot of dumb questions in the beginning but I think this is a great place to learn. I look forward to getting to know you guys. Jim PS I also bought a safety shield..

Alan Trout
08-12-2010, 2:46 PM
Jim, Welcome to turning and the forum. It sounds like you have a good start with many more happy years of spending lots of money.:D

Above all else have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Alan

Barry Elder
08-12-2010, 3:12 PM
Jim,

Welcome, and the only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask, and there are many of them.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2010, 3:13 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jim!

Welcome to the Vortex.

Bill Bulloch
08-12-2010, 3:32 PM
Did you get yourself one of those "Home Equity Loans" too? You'll need it.
Welcome to the Creek and the Wonderful World of Turning.

Harvey M. Taylor
08-12-2010, 3:34 PM
might want to check into reverse mortgage for additional funding. Max

Thom Sturgill
08-12-2010, 4:23 PM
Welcome and enjoy. Go to the AAW site and see if you can locate a club nearby. If so give them a visit - you will not regret it!

Oh, and photograph the contents of your wallet - you may never see it so full again, or has someone told you this is an expensive hobby and the 'vortex' is strong.

Chris Colman
08-12-2010, 6:59 PM
My wife cringes whenever the Penn State or Packard catalog comes in the mail.

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2010, 7:56 PM
Welcome to SMC. Take a picture of the green stuff in your wallet. You won't see it before long. It will be a distant memory.

Steve Schlumpf
08-12-2010, 8:03 PM
Jim - Welcome to the Creek!

Lots to learn when first starting out - so, best advise - is to get with your local turning club because members are always willing to help out those folks interested in learning how to turn!

Next thing to figure out - is how to post photos because we love the pictures! Just in case - here is a thread that explains how to post photos: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25115

John Keeton
08-12-2010, 8:11 PM
Welcome to the creek, Jim!! Looking forward to seeing some fruit from the Rikon!

David E Keller
08-12-2010, 9:39 PM
Welcome, Jim. That little Rikon was my first lathe, and I still use it from time to time. I think you'll like it... I know I've enjoyed mine.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your work and helping you with your addiction... er... um... hobby if we can.

James Roberts
08-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Welcome to the forum Jim. There's lots to learn and even the veteran turners pick up a new idea or learn a new technique from time to time. Ask questions (there are no dumb ones) and have fun.