PDA

View Full Version : Rockler Corrugated Fastner

Larry Schwenk
08-12-2010, 2:27 PM
I know, if it seems too good to be true it probably is.

Has anyone used this $229 tool for face frame construction?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22530

I was always taught that a doweled oak face frame for a cabinet provides tremendous strength. And it does. I also have the Festool Domino which works pretty good too. If I can just glue and pull a trigger, great, but I'm thinking it's a pretty weak joint compared to a couple dowels.

So what are the real world experiences?

Ross Kennedy
08-12-2010, 2:57 PM
Just got a email from Rocklers that it is on sale for $219.99, They work great on Picture Frames. They are quicker then drilling two holes. I have know of people Doweling and then use the fastener to hold the boards togathe to dry.

Prashun Patel
08-12-2010, 3:25 PM
Looks like a weak joint to me.

For this kind of joint I look to Kreg style pockethole or dowels (I use Dowelmax, but you should check out Jessem's new jig).

Victor Robinson
08-12-2010, 3:30 PM
A pallet/shipping container I received once was put together with these. The joints were pretty darn strong as I learned when trying to salvage the wood from the pallet, but it seemed like the entry of the fasteners may have been a bit more violet than I would like for furniture or cabinetry.

Bruce Wrenn
08-12-2010, 8:13 PM
I know corrugated fasteners have been used since WWII (World War TWO). In our area they are called to a "cleaters." When cabinets used to be built in the house, the face frame was put together with corrugated fasteners. But remember most of those cabinets were painted. Most of the furniture and cabinet trade shows have several vendors selling these. But being as how it is a PC item, which B&D has TRASHED, I would be very leery! Don't be the beta tester for a piece of junk.