PDA

View Full Version : Garage Door Opener

Sean Troy
08-12-2010, 1:01 PM
One of my garage doors has an old Sears opener probably around 20-25 years old. I need to find out if anyone knows of a way or place to get a remote opener for such an old unit? thanks for any info, Sean

Jim Rimmer
08-12-2010, 1:06 PM
Check at HD, they have universal remotes that should be able to connect.

Rich Stewart
08-12-2010, 1:07 PM
Time for a new opener. Get one of them belt drives. Nice!

Jerome Stanek
08-12-2010, 1:28 PM
We had that problem and went to a Sears repair center to get a replacement remote but seen reconditioned openers for less than the remote.

Sean Troy
08-12-2010, 2:11 PM
I'd hate to replace the opener. It' works perfectly and is the quietest opener I've ever seen.

Chris Harry
08-12-2010, 2:23 PM
If you cant find a remote, or its not really a good "value" once you do, definitely check out a Chamberlain belt drive. VERY quiet, tons of features, built well.

I *think* they make Sears/Craftsman belt drive too.

I have the 3/4HP with battery backup and really like it. The garage door itself makes more noise than the opener.

Joe Pelonio
08-12-2010, 8:27 PM
Buy a car with the built in control that learns the frequency. My wife's '02 Liberty has it, eliminates the need for a remote. (the other half of the garage is filled up with "stuff."

Caspar Hauser
08-13-2010, 6:07 AM
Buy a car with the built in control that learns the frequency. ....

Bit of a spendy remote that, though hard to lose down the sofa.

Jerome Stanek
08-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Buy the cheapest sears refurbished opener and use that remote on your old unit.

Peter Stahl
08-18-2010, 6:43 PM
try clickerdepot dot com, just one of many I found doing a google search for "garage remote". They propably want the model# of the opener but I'm guessing a opener that old you will have to use a universal remote.

Charlie Velasquez
08-18-2010, 6:51 PM
Ours is almost as old. Found a couple on Ebay.

Myk Rian
08-18-2010, 7:47 PM
You don't need to buy a new opener, if the unit has a small dip switch for the code on it.
Buy any remote and follow the directions to program it.

Jerome Stanek
08-19-2010, 7:24 AM
Is it the hand held unit that is bad or the logic board? those older openers won't work with the newer hand units.

Sean Troy
08-19-2010, 7:53 AM
Is it the hand held unit that is bad or the logic board? those older openers won't work with the newer hand units.
I have no idea which one is bad.

Matt Meiser
08-19-2010, 7:53 AM
I think decent sized Sears stores even stock older remotes. Write down the model number of your opener before heading to the store. Brace yourself too as garage door remotes are ridiculously overpriced compared to comparable electronic gadgets.

Edited based on your post right while I was writing mine:
You might check out another option. Lowes or Home Depot (probably both and a host of others) sells a kit that comes with 2 modern technology remotes and a box that replaces the button on the wall that opens the garage door. Very easy to install. IIRC it was about 50% more than a replacement for our old remote so I didn't buy it. Wished I had when we went back a few months later to buy a replacement for the other old remote. :)