View Full Version : I followed your advice

Robert Cox
12-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Just got home with my new toys.

Jet mini

HF gouges, HSS, 8

HF Forstner bits set

HF Jacobs chuck

HF chuck. Not a screw type, 4 jaw with individual adjustments. I've used them before on metal so I think I'll be OK with it.

Now to build a stand.

I was THIS CLOSE to getting the 12x36 Jet. But they would have had to order it and my wife said to just get the mini and upgrade later! I Love Her!

Ted Shrader
12-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Robert -

Nice haul. You will have a great time braking all those new things in. Where to start . . . .

Ted

John Miliunas
12-09-2004, 11:28 PM
New toys? WHAT new toys? :confused: I don't SEE any new toys! :eek: (Congrats Robert and enjoy BUT, only AFTER we see some pics!) :) :cool:

Jim Ketron
12-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Congrats Robert !!!!
now you have had it better coat the rest of your ww tools with wax so they dont rust!:D
I got mine about a year ago and haven't done much flat work since!:D
Jim

Randy Meijer
12-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Robert:

Mine was on my doorstep when I got home tonight!!! Unfortunately......

After looking at it closely, I realized the live center that comes with the lathe isn't suited to the mandrels used in making pens so I've got to order another LC to the tune of about $20. :mad:

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-10-2004, 1:18 AM
Randy, Before you blow 20.00, the pin portion of the live center should knock out. If it does, you can round off the tip and it will work well with a pen mandrel, then go to Woodcraft and pick up a new tip for about 2.00. :)

This is what I did. I have two tips for my live center - one for pen mandrels and another for everything else.

Robert, Welcome to the Wonderful World of ROUND. HEHE - WE GOT YA NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Bruce ;)

Randy Meijer
12-10-2004, 1:31 AM
Bruce:

I had thought about doing that very thing and the Woodcraft people were mentioned; but I looked in thier catalog and did not see any points that look like they would work. Was going to check their web site but got distracted. Are you sure the points are available from Woodcraft??

Joe Melton
12-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Hello, Randy,

I bought the same (probably) set of Forstner bits, and found they were terrible. They are fine for drilling wiring access holes through 2x4s but are far too out of round for drilling pen blanks. If you want to drill pen blanks, you can get your bits from Woodcraft or from most of the guys who sell pen kits. Also, I've found that the hss bits designed for cutting steel work best for drilling pen blanks. Other's experience may be different, of course.
Best of luck!
Joe

Charles McKinley
12-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Hi Robert,

When it is time to upgrade from the min the 1236 won't even be an option! :) You will be looking at the 1442 or 1642 or maybe even changing colors 3520A. More power, more swing, eletronic speed control, more $$$$$, but it is an addiction and must be fed!

Have fun

Robert Cox
12-10-2004, 12:49 PM
The Nova DVR 3000 looked nice too.

As to the chuck, I screwed up and got the machinist one.

I'll have to return it. The proper one they sell is a 3 jaw with tommy bars and a #2 Morse for $25. Worth a shot till I can justify a $200 one.

Randy Meijer
12-10-2004, 3:11 PM
Hello, Randy,

I bought the same (probably) set of Forstner bits, and found they were terrible......far too out of round for drilling pen blanks......Hey Joe:

Actually, it was Robert who bought the Forstner bits; but no matter. I've never heard of people using them to drill pen blanks?? My impression is that most people use brad points, bullet points, and parabolics. I use HS twist drills for some of my larger blanks where I have a little extra wood and didn't want to spend the money on a bullet that wouldn't get used very much!!

Robert Cox
12-10-2004, 3:34 PM
Robert, Welcome to the Wonderful World of ROUND. HEHE - WE GOT YA NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Bruce ;)

It's all Schwings fault!

Joe Melton
12-10-2004, 3:38 PM
Well, sorry, but Robert's probably randy anyway.
Joe

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-11-2004, 2:25 AM
Randy, I posted a reply at Penturners.org that gives you the Woodcraft SKU number and the Jet p/n for the tip.

Bruce

Randy Meijer
12-11-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks, Buce. I've emailed both of them.

John Shuk
12-11-2004, 3:14 PM
Robert,
I have the Jet 1236 and I like it but the mmini seems to be a better built lathe although the capacity is smaller. You will sail right past the 1236 someday and may keep the mini for a secondary. It would be a little tough to do that with the 1236 because of space.