PDA

View Full Version : QSWO Issues

Keith Strong
08-12-2010, 10:30 AM
I am considering using QSWO for my next project, mission style mirror. I have heard of people having issues with this material as it has a tendency warp and cup after it has been cut. Is this a very predominant issue with this wood? Is there any way to get around this since I will have some fairly long pieces, 3-4ft and would like to keep them as straight as possible not to put pressure on the mirror.

Ben West
08-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Actually, it should be just the opposite. QSWO (or any quarter sawn wood) should warp or cup much less than other lumber of the same species that has been plain sawn.

Mitchell Andrus
08-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I make mirrors and frames and such out of QSWO for a living. If the wood is properly dried you should have no worries. If you have any doubts, make your pieces 1/8" heavy and let them sit two weeks, then do your finish cutting.

Scott T Smith
08-12-2010, 9:42 PM
Ben and Mitchell are correct. QSO is prized for it's dimensional stability.

Phil Thien
08-12-2010, 9:50 PM
+1. I've often resawed QSWO and PSWO and have been amazed at how little movement I have.

I have a friend that sets me up w/ WO that is air dried and I'm often amazed how straight it is a year after being cut/stickered.

glenn bradley
08-12-2010, 10:47 PM
I will echo the others in that QSWO moves very little in my experience with it. I guess I would reconsider any other info from the source of the statement that it has issues. In their defense, perhaps the person is speaking from their experience with an improperly dried batch of material(?). I have some thin cut-offs that have been standing on end for a year where I stash my dowels. I just looked at them and they are still fine.

Darnell Hagen
08-12-2010, 10:59 PM
QSWO is wicked stable. However, it can have honeycomb and checks, inspect your lumber before you buy.

Kent A Bathurst
08-13-2010, 9:47 AM
Ben and Mitchell are correct. QSO is prized for it's dimensional stability.

Which is one reason (stunning grain is another) it was a primary material for the Arts + Crafts guys (Stickley, et al). I've used it extensively - as one example, on 5' tall repro Stickley/Ellis bookcases, with inset doors with true divided-lites [and the narrow muntins in the doors]. Nothign has gone haywire - especially the door frames and muntins, which would be the most susceptible.

If you are used to using say - cherry or walnut - sharpen your planes and chisels. When I got started, QSWO was the only material I used for a few years. Then, I made stuff out of cherry and couldnt' believe how easy it was to work.