PDA

View Full Version : First Little Box - Stone and Wood

Paul Douglass
08-12-2010, 10:16 AM
This is my first attempt at turning a lidded box and first attempt at using stone and wood. I didn't have a "Chunk" of cocobolo big enough to turn anything so as you can tell I stacked pieces. Next time I will try staved.

I decided I don't like the knob on top the lid in stone. I thought it had to be stone but after finishing I think it may have been better wood.

I'd appreciate you input on what and how to improve. This is pretty knew to me. I have a lot to learn so please fire away.

Peter Lamb
08-12-2010, 10:33 AM
You should be very proud. It's beautiful!
Bonnie Klein would approve.
Peter

John Keeton
08-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Paul, you did a very nice job with this! Personally, I like the stone knob, though it does look darker than the band. Could be just the lighting. If it is darker, perhaps another piece of the stone that would more closer match the band.

On stacking the coco, I think one could minimize that with an embellishment - perhaps a textured band, a bead, or a cove/bead combo - and, it may not even be noticeable.

Great work, and a nice finish!

bob svoboda
08-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Paul. I agree with John-I like the stone knob. That's a really nice box, especially for a first!

Chris Colman
08-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Beautiful! I love cocobolo. I just can't afford as much of it as I would like to buy.

What are the dimensions? Hard to judge scale.

Steve Mawson
08-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Nice box, I like the way you recessed the lid into the box. Don't have much opinion on the knob. Wood would be fine but stone is unique as well.

Mark Hubl
08-12-2010, 1:07 PM
Nice little box. I like the combo.

Pete Jordan
08-12-2010, 5:17 PM
Very nice, Paul!

Did you glue a circle of stone and then finish? A little tutorial would be nice.

Curt Fuller
08-12-2010, 5:24 PM
It would be tough to improve anything on that box. I love the color combination of the cocobolo and stone and I think the stone knob really sets it off.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2010, 6:16 PM
Excellent box Paul! What kind of stone did you use?

I like the combination.

Bernie Weishapl
08-12-2010, 7:59 PM
Beautiful box. Really nice combo.

Ron Lynch
08-12-2010, 9:05 PM
That's a nice piece, now we just need to know how you did it.

David E Keller
08-12-2010, 9:16 PM
I like the box as is. The stone knob looks good to me. You got a great finish on that cocobolo, too.

Baxter Smith
08-12-2010, 9:19 PM
Very nice box. I think the stone knob goes very well with the piece!

James Roberts
08-12-2010, 9:54 PM
Sweet little box there Paul. Looking forward to more. Stone knob looks fine to me.

Paul Douglass
08-12-2010, 10:13 PM
I appreciate the input. The box is a little over 3" tall and around 2 1/2" in diameter. The stone knob is off the same chunk of stone as the ring and probably looks darker because it is thicker than the ring and doesn't have as many fusions in it. It is very hard to tell what stone is going to look like when you start. Doesn't even look green. This the brick I worked from. Like a chunk of wood, you never know until you have at it. Great fun. I just received a couple chunks of Bombay Black to try another shaving set with. Next project after I get a candle holder out of wood and Soap Stone made.

Thanks again. I really expected you all to be rougher on me.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

Steve Schlumpf
08-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Paul - about the only complaint I have is that your photos are to small! Would love to see this at the max allowed size of 800x600 pixels!

Very nice work and I really like your use of mixed media! Looking forward to your next one!

James Combs
08-12-2010, 10:45 PM
It all looks great to me. I am have a difficult time figuring out the "stacking" of the cocobolo unless you are revering to the cocobolo-stone-cocobolo stack.

Paul Douglass
08-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Let me try

Paul Douglass
08-12-2010, 10:48 PM
It all looks great to me. I am have a difficult time figuring out the "stacking" of the cocobolo unless you are revering to the cocobolo-stone-cocobolo stack.

I have end cuts of cocobolo boards. I cut them to size and glue one piece on top of another to get the size I want to turn. I don't have one solid piece.

Ron Lynch
08-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Hey Paul, did you turn the stone on your lathe? You mentioned soap stone in one of your posts, is that what you used for the box? What kind of tools did you use? I like your idea and just need a little more info so that I can steal it.

Richard Madden
08-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Love it!! I'm with all those who like the stone for the knob. Really like the mix.

Paul Douglass
08-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Hey Paul, did you turn the stone on your lathe? You mentioned soap stone in one of your posts, is that what you used for the box? What kind of tools did you use? I like your idea and just need a little more info so that I can steal it.

Yes, I turned it on the lathe, using lathe tools. It is very soft, won't hurt anything. I cut it with my bandsaw and tablesaw. It is soap stone. I ordered it from stone sculpture supplies in Calif. I have another thread here titled Stone Shaving that shows a shaving setup I made from the same soap stone and it tell how I finished soap stone. The only concern I have is the fine power it gives off when turned and cut. I don't know if it will get into and hurt the bearing or not. So far so good. Also, you need breathing protection which I haven't been very disciplined about, but I am going to start.

For those who remarked about the finish, I sanded it through 12K with micro mesh and than put on Res. Wax and buffed it.

Michelle Rich
08-14-2010, 6:30 AM
good golly, a first? I think ,that with the material you had, you used it very well to make a pretty piece..It was hard to tell it was multiple pieces.