PDA

View Full Version : Glueing UHMW?

brett gallmeyer
08-12-2010, 9:38 AM
Anyone out there no an effective way to glue uhmw plastic to lets say mdf?

im building a new router table top and fence ad my dad aquired a 4'x9' x 3/8" thick sheet for cheep! i used some on my last table but i used screws and is not consistent enough...

Bob Wingard
08-12-2010, 9:56 AM
I did a bit of searching a while back, and found that LocTite #770 Primer and #401 Glue are supposed to work well with UHMW. I haven't purchased these items or tried them personally .. .. this is just some info. I dug up on the web .. .. it may help you search for a solution.

Dave Anderson NH
08-12-2010, 1:14 PM
I you want to use a pressure sensitive adhesive, any of the adhesives in the 3M 300LSE series will work very well. The actual adhesive is the same in the ones I've listed below, the only difference is adhesive thickness. All are specifically designed to bond low suface energy plastics to other substrates and work well. I've used them all at my day job. You can order them from any 3M tapes distributor.

9471LE .002" thick
9453LE .0035" thick
9472L# .005" thick

Greg Portland
08-12-2010, 1:18 PM
i used some on my last table but i used screws and is not consistent enoughYou should definitely use screws or bolts. What did you do the last time? I would countersink a hole wide enough for a small washer in the UMHV and then drill a bolt hole in the center of that (through the UMHV and the MDF). Use a washer and bolt from the UMHV side and a lock washer and nut on the back of the MDF. A few of these on each MDF piece will hold the plastic firmly in place.

Lee Schierer
08-12-2010, 4:35 PM
I've had some luck with 3M double sided acrylic adhesive tape.

ian maybury
08-13-2010, 1:15 PM
As above CA with a polyolefin primer will probably bond it, but i'd be very cautious about it's ability to tolerate moisture and/or shock loading given the properties of the the adhesive....

Harvey Melvin Richards
08-13-2010, 1:48 PM
Generally with slick plastics like UHMW, PE and PP, you have to use aggressive primers to etch the surface so the adhesive will bite. I have used an epoxy that bonds teflon. It uses a very nasty primer.

Like others have said, I would try to stick to mechanical fasteners. The other problem with UHMW is that it will have a different coefficient of expansion than the wood substrates have.

Phil Thien
08-13-2010, 8:10 PM
I would wrap the top substrate with a frame that the plastic sheet can sit down into. That will prevent sliding left/right/front/back. Then I'd use pressure-sensitive adhesive to hold the UHMW plastic down to the substrate.