PDA

View Full Version : Signing your work

Chris Colman
08-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Quick poll question for you veteran turners.

Do you sign all your work?

What method do you use? Engraver, woodburning...

Sign? or Logo?

Date?

Other info?

Thank you in advance for the input.

Keith Westfall
08-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Big thread on this a while back...

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Check out this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=113889&highlight=signing

Norm Zax
08-12-2010, 2:25 AM
As I recall, its like this: Most people use Sharpies (archival ink), some use a simple or fancy burner, few buy inserts (wood shaped coin laser burned with details). Then there was also a thread on what to write (year-yes or no, initials, etc)

David Woodruff
08-12-2010, 9:45 AM
I sign all my work with a Gold fluid pen. I sign after sealing and the signature is then covered by a few coats of lacquer. Spray the signature carefully, thin coats initially, spraying somewhat dry to avoid softening of the signing ink. Then it is done and will not wear off. I dated for a while, then stopped at my Wife's suggestion. That sentence sounds funny on the re-read. One of them double entende things.

My take is, if you are proud of your work, take credit

Steve Mawson
08-12-2010, 11:45 AM
By all means sign it, use what ever works for you.

Thom Sturgill
08-12-2010, 11:48 AM
I have used sharpies, both under and over the finish - not too happy with them.
Currently using an engraver, but thinking about making decals, both clear and white background, with just a scanned in signature.

David DeCristoforo
08-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Wood burners... engravers, archival ink... sharpies and everything else under the sun has been used. But I always used a sharp #2 pencil. I have signed and dated around a thousand chess boards with a pencil on raw wood and then lacquered over it when the board was finished. The first one I ever made is in my FIL's house and the sig is still sharp and clear. I also use pencil to sign any furniture pieces I make that are deemed worthy of such treatment.

Scott Hackler
08-12-2010, 12:09 PM
I have a personalized wood burner that my lovely wife bought for me, but some of the smaller has to get signed with a sharpie. The burner is too big for some things. Also Christmas ornaments are just initialed in a less obvious spot with the year (again with a fine point sharpie).

Jim Underwood
08-12-2010, 12:11 PM
I've just been using an engraver. I don't sign, I just use my "maker's mark". I don't date (geez! I'm a MARRIED MAN! What are you thinking!???), and I don't put the wood species on - although I suppose I should.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-12-2010, 12:22 PM
The "Sharpie" brand does bleed down. Or bleed away. You can find "Acrhival ink" as was mentioned in that long ago thread at you local *-mart or craft store. I've tried a paint pen, and that bled a little too.

Now a pencil is news to me. Makes absolute sense. Reminded of a discussion we just had at work on how NASA spend millions upon millions of dollars to develop a zero gravity pen. Russians use a pencil.

Thom Sturgill
08-12-2010, 2:22 PM
Now a pencil is news to me. Makes absolute sense. Reminded of a discussion we just had at work on how NASA spend millions upon millions of dollars to develop a zero gravity pen. Russians use a pencil.
Pure urban myth. It was developed not by NASA, however, but by one enterprising individual, Paul C. Fisher (http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.standardtimes.com/daily/03%2D97/03%2D09%2D97/f02bu294.htm), owner of the Fisher Space Pen Company. By his own account, Fisher spent "thousands of hours and millions of dollars" of his own money in research and development — not billions. The Fisher Space Pen is still used by both American and Russian astronauts on every space flight, and you can even buy one yourself (http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.spacepen.com/originalastronautmodels.aspx) direct from the company for a measly 50 bucks.

Bill Sanson
08-12-2010, 8:59 PM
Heres a question, I just finished a project (my second in my defense:) and didnt think to sign it. I finished it with tried and true oil/varnish and t&t original. I am wondering if a arkival pen will work over it or what i should do?????
thanks fellas

Paul Douglass
08-12-2010, 10:21 PM
The only thing I have signed so far are the cigar box guitars and Ukes I have made. I did it because it was requested by the people they went to. I started signing them and later came up with a decal to use. I have to ask, why not the date? I put the month and year under my signature.

Jeff Dorlan
08-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Personalized wood burner here. It is my digitized signature. Pencil is my backup for smaller projects. I initial and date.

Neil Strong
08-13-2010, 7:37 PM
.... and I don't put the wood species on - although I suppose I should.

If you make souvenirs then adding the species is a nice touch.

If you make art/craft then don't make it look like a souvenir by writing the species on it. Ever seen a Monet painting with "Oil Paint" added just below his signature?

I do provide a customised ticket that carries relevant information with each individual piece. An extra effort but worth the effort I think.

Will Scott
08-14-2010, 11:03 AM
My father would never sign the pieces we made so I got a branding iron with his name on it. Now that he is no longer with me, it really is a bittersweet moment when someone pulls one of the pieces we made and shows his brand on the back.

Jeff Mohr
08-14-2010, 1:02 PM
I sign mine with glue drips, sanding scratches, and dust in the finish. When I get better I'll figure out a way to put my name on it.