PDA

View Full Version : Spot free car wash

Dave Lehnert
08-11-2010, 11:29 PM
I have been reading some on-line forums on homemade water filter systems to hook onto you garden hose. This is to give you a spot free rinse when washing your car. Something like this. http://www.patuned.com/forums/showthread.php?p=89423
Some use Borax to rinse with http://www.ehow.com/how_2280854_wash-car-spot-free-rinse.html

Anyone have any tips or tricks they use?

Could you soften your water by tossing a handful of water softer salt in a hose end sprayer to rinse? That seems too simple to work. But using salt water to rinse your car does not sound like a good idea. But they sell watersoftners to hook to your garden hose.

bill kiss
08-12-2010, 5:44 AM
I use my leaf blower to dry my car after washing. My neighbor used to laugh at me - till he tried it.

Matt Meiser
08-12-2010, 7:07 AM
Water softener salt wouldn't work since the salt doesn't directly soften the water. You'd actually be giving your car a salt water shower, which might not work so hot. :)

Mitchell Andrus
08-12-2010, 8:27 AM
People wash their cars?

David Weaver
08-12-2010, 9:42 AM
Just get two large microfiber towels and go over the car. It'll be quick and you won't have to buy any goofy products that have marginal effect.

Matt Meiser
08-12-2010, 10:26 AM
There's a product call "The Absorber" that you can buy at national auto parts stores and probably Walmart that is a synthetic chamois that works incredibly well. In addition to having one with the car wash stuff, we keep one in the camper for drying/wiping stuff as we put it away.

We had a lot of water spot problems when I used our outside spigots since we have a lot of iron in our water. Then I realized there's a hydrant in the garage that is connected to the softened water so I use that.

I have a filter just like the one in the article installed in our camper. It works pretty well, but I'm not sure its going to really reduce that much. You can buy an in-line charcoal filter that goes on your hose at an RV dealer or the RV department at some Walmart stores, but that department varies greatly at different stores. They work fine, but are more expensive than a pair of cartridges for the big one and were one more thing to deal with setting up and taking down.

Dan Friedrichs
08-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Rinse with distilled water.

John Pratt
08-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Sham Wow..???..

Dan Hintz
08-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I gave a pretty odd look to the person who first introduced me to The Absorber about 10 years ago... and then I tried it. Thing still works as good today as it did when I bought it all of those years ago. A drying towel has never touched my car since.