PDA

View Full Version : Big Job Finally Done

Dave West
08-11-2010, 10:54 PM
My day job has an event booth at a downtown convention center. They wanted some 3D signage on really short notice. I got the final artwork Saturday night so the only option for materials was what I could buy locally ...on a Sunday. I picked up about 25 sheets of foam board from Michaels, Joanns and Staples (getting the colors I wanted) and started the layout.
Three 7 foot signs and 2 smaller 28 x 18 ones. My old Profile doesn't have air assist so the boards had to be covered with application tape before lasering to protect from the smoke. Peeling the tape from all those letters took the most time.
They turned out nice and the client is quite pleased, but the signs are pretty fragile. When the board is cut, the foam layer resedes somewhat due to the heat leaving the edges and corners unsupported. These will be mounted up high away from traffic so it shouldn't be a problem.
This job took much longer than anticipated. There's no way I can charge for the actual time I have in on it.

James Terry
08-11-2010, 11:55 PM
And after all that work, you still managed to misspell a word. Just kidding!

Frank Corker
08-12-2010, 5:33 AM
Nicely done, you 'raised' to the challenge hey!

Martin Boekers
08-12-2010, 11:20 AM
As Frank said you raised up to the challenge and met it square on,

I can't tell you how often I get these last minute jobs that are a bit more
complicated than most, and something I never did before.

I consider these to be a challenge and an education on what can be
done. There is nothing like these jobs to get you thinking out of the box
and raise you level of expertice.

I have taken work away from local shops, becuase the turned down
these type of requests, now those clients come to me first.

Sometimes the education is worth more that what your made on the job!

Marty

John Barton
08-14-2010, 1:23 AM
My day job has an event booth at a downtown convention center. They wanted some 3D signage on really short notice. I got the final artwork Saturday night so the only option for materials was what I could buy locally ...on a Sunday. I picked up about 25 sheets of foam board from Michaels, Joanns and Staples (getting the colors I wanted) and started the layout.
Three 7 foot signs and 2 smaller 28 x 18 ones. My old Profile doesn't have air assist so the boards had to be covered with application tape before lasering to protect from the smoke. Peeling the tape from all those letters took the most time.
They turned out nice and the client is quite pleased, but the signs are pretty fragile. When the board is cut, the foam layer resedes somewhat due to the heat leaving the edges and corners unsupported. These will be mounted up high away from traffic so it shouldn't be a problem.
This job took much longer than anticipated. There's no way I can charge for the actual time I have in on it.

Very nice.

Couple things. The sign shops here use wet newspaper instead of tape to protect the edges. They have a spray bottle and they just keep the newspaper damp enough to be clingy and it works like a charm.

It's a good idea to use plywood or some other type of stiff board as your foundation. This makes the signs heavier but firmer and less prone to accidents and you can apply various mounting solutions to them easier.

Make yourself a smaller version to show off to clients as a portfolio piece to show them what's possible.

As for what you should charge? Well I know that the last time I had signs done at SignsNow for a trade show we spent over $1500 for decals and some foam board kiss cut signs.

You might not be able to charge for the actual time but don't sell yourself short. Ask them what they felt their awesome 3d signs were worth in terms of impact?

As others have said the experience will pay off down the road. I know that to be true for me in similar situations.

Again nice job and way to come through!