PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm old

Dave Lehnert
08-11-2010, 7:32 PM
Was in a store today looking at a shirt. I was holding it by the hanger and a little boy about 6 was standing looking at me. He said "Looks like an old mans shirt" needless to say I put the shirt back.

Got to love kids.

John Mark Lane
08-11-2010, 7:34 PM
No, if you were old he wouldn't have bothered to tell you. Relax.

Dave Lehnert
08-11-2010, 7:37 PM
No, if you were old he wouldn't have bothered to tell you. Relax.
Yes, But I liked that shirt.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-11-2010, 7:57 PM
My hair started tuning grey when I was in my mid-30s. I was at most 40, when I walked into a local drug store. Some little high school girl was working the checkout stand. I handed her the one item I wanted to buy ... she rang it up and then said with a smile "Of course, I gave you your senior citizen discount." I smiled back knowing I didn't rate it.....and paid and walked out thinking "If you are going to insult me and aren't going to ask for an id...I'll take it to help soothe my hurt feelings".:cool:

Joe Mioux
08-11-2010, 8:02 PM
I have been going through a few "old" sessions myself.

Earlier this year, I was getting my haircut at the "salon" (the barber in town isn't very good) and I was talking about using social media to market my business. the young lady sitting in the next chair said, "that is so cool that I guy your age is so into facebook and twitter". :(

round two: last saturday I am servicing a wedding and the groom's parents are younger than me. ... my youngest kid is 10 and she wants to be a vet. I won't be out of college debt until I am 66. :(:(

Jim King
08-11-2010, 8:38 PM
I still dont have the courage to ask for a senior citizens discount or enter the plane first.
As some one once said I dont feel old I feel like a young man with something wrong.

John A langley
08-11-2010, 9:02 PM
I'm not old, I'm 67
I'm not old, my hair isn't gray - it is silver
I'm not old, I just get up later and go to bed earlier
I'm not old, I just don't do 10 hours in the shop anymore
I'm not old, but I bought a ball chucker to throw the ball for my dog
I'm not old, I take handful of pills every morning

I'm not old, I think that old is a state of mind
None of us are old, we are on the right side of the grass
And hope to meet a few of you old-timers in Atlanta

Tom Winship
08-11-2010, 9:05 PM
My wife and grandson took our cats to the vet yesterday for their annual shots. When leaving, the aide was helping my grandson get the carrier out to the car and told my wife, "Don't worry, Mom, I will go out with him". I told her that was a $220 payback. Take them to some crusty old cow doctor and he would charge $50 maybe and call you Grandma.

John Mark Lane
08-11-2010, 9:39 PM
I discovered hair coloring. Even my secretary told me it makes me look ten years younger. (Of course, I pay her to say things like that, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it.)

lowell holmes
08-11-2010, 9:45 PM
I was at my daughter's house modifying a cabinet to accomodate a new refrigerator. One of the young delivery men ask the other where the old man is.

I guess I'm old, but if the young man takes care of himself, he may live this long. :)

Dave Lehnert
08-11-2010, 11:36 PM
My hair started tuning grey when I was in my mid-30s. I was at most 40, when I walked into a local drug store. Some little high school girl was working the checkout stand. I handed her the one item I wanted to buy ... she rang it up and then said with a smile "Of course, I gave you your senior citizen discount." I smiled back knowing I didn't rate it.....and paid and walked out thinking "If you are going to insult me and aren't going to ask for an id...I'll take it to help soothe my hurt feelings".:cool:

LOL!

After working inventory one night two girls at work and I went out to get something to eat. The waitress asked if they were my kids. They are 5 years younger than me.

Belinda Barfield
08-12-2010, 8:01 AM
I've been getting the "m'aam" thing for years. Recently at a family get together one of my cousins asked if the woman standing next to me was my daughter. She wasn't. She was my aunt by marriage who is 8 years older than me! :eek:

I have to share this one. Every Saturday during college football season we spend the afternoon at the local Hooters with a group of friends. My SO is a notorious flirt. One Saturday afternoon we arrive at Hooters and seat ourselves at a table. Our cute little server comes over and the SO is just flirtin' up a storm with her. He mentioned that we were going to watch the Georgia game. Cute little server says, "Oh, do you have grandchildren attending UGA?". :D:D:D I waited until she walked away before I fell out of my chair.

Dave Anderson NH
08-12-2010, 12:33 PM
We had new neighbors move in across the road last year both directly across from us and diagonally down the road. Both couples are in their early 30s with young kids. Sue and I get a bit of a kick out of how they treat us and occasionally "check up on us" when there is bad weather or when they haven't seen or heard from us for a few days. I'm just starting to learn to adjust to being viewed as old. What I really neeed to do is learn to start taking advantage of the opportunities it offers. Somehow I still can't bring myself to ask for the senior discount and I'll be 62 in November.

Matt Ellis
08-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Clearly, some of you have a couple of years on me, but I too had an experience this last week that made me feel a little bit old. I'm 32. A girl that was a year a head of me in high school had a baby her senior year. That baby started high school this last Monday. It seems crazy how fast the last 14 years have disappeared.

-matt

Jim Rimmer
08-12-2010, 1:15 PM
Here's old for you - as I was reading this I thought of a reply and now I can't remember what I was going to say.

John Mark Lane
08-12-2010, 3:00 PM
Here's old for you - as I was reading this I thought of a reply and now I can't remember what I was going to say.

About what?

Rod Sheridan
08-12-2010, 3:13 PM
I had the reverse experience last summer.

Diann, my two daughters who are in their mid twenties, and I are in a restaurant celebrating and we all order drinks.

The waitress won't serve me because I don't have any photo ID to prove I'm old enough to order alcohol.

The Manager is called over, reviews the situation, and I get my drink.

Come on, I have grey hair, two mid twenties daughters and I can't get a drink?

Of course, most times I forget that I'm getting older, and being called "Sir" almost makes me look to see if my dad is behind me.

Regards, Rod.

Von Bickley
08-12-2010, 3:47 PM
Every day I hope to get a little older.....

When you wake up in the morning, put both arms up in the air. If you don't hit wood, it's going to be a good day. :)

Steve Griffin
08-12-2010, 5:44 PM
The single most definitive test of whether or not you are old:

The day it is much easier to get up at 3am than stay up to 3am.

(Staying up till 3am is pretty much out of the question for me, but I can set the alarm and get up at three without too much trouble....)

-Steve

Rob Wachala Jr
08-12-2010, 6:13 PM
Clearly, some of you have a couple of years on me, but I too had an experience this last week that made me feel a little bit old. I'm 32. A girl that was a year a head of me in high school had a baby her senior year. That baby started high school this last Monday. It seems crazy how fast the last 14 years have disappeared.

-matt

It's just gets faster and faster -- My friend had a kid in high school she just turned 18. My other friends kids just turned 15. Older I get faster time seems to pass me by. Pretty soon I'm going to blink and be in diapers again wondering what is happening around me.... Though perhaps all the smoking and drinking I did back in the day will save me from my diaper years.

Michael Schapansky
08-12-2010, 7:26 PM
[QUOTE=Dave Lehnert;1488235]Was in a store today looking at a shirt. I was holding it by the hanger and a little boy about 6 was standing looking at me. He said "Looks like an old mans shirt" needless to say I put the shirt back.

This is exactly why I buy everything online.

Caspar Hauser
08-13-2010, 5:31 AM
The single most definitive test of whether or not you are old:

The day it is much easier to get up at 3am than stay up to 3am.

(Staying up till 3am is pretty much out of the question for me, but I can set the alarm and get up at three without too much trouble....)

-Steve

I don't need the alarm.

Rich Engelhardt
08-13-2010, 6:47 AM
Ok - so one day a few years ago I walk into a Mickey D's for a burger.
There's three or four young girls sitting at a table.
I'm scanning the menu board when I hear a "Here's your date!" comment.

I turn to look at the door to see what kind of hideous freak just waddled in...
Then I noticed I'm alone at the counter....:o.

:D

Oh, how we pay for the cruelty of our youth,,,,,;).