PDA

View Full Version : Look at this BIG ambrosia maple bowl

Jim Ketron
12-09-2004, 9:36 PM
Boy this was fun !!!
I had some time to kill after I glued up some pen blanks that Im going to give for Christmas gifts. so I had some cut off's from the bowl blanks I cut yesterday
and just started playing I was wanting to work on my form for bowls and thought I would try a mini! It's 2 1/4 x 3/4 and very thin:eek: Thats a Quarter next to it for refrence.
It was fun I used the same stuff I use on my pens for a finish.
Jim

Carole Valentine
12-09-2004, 9:48 PM
Neat! Did you use micro tools?

Jim Ketron
12-09-2004, 9:55 PM
Nop same bowl gouge I always use 3/8" Sorby

sorry pic is blurry!

John Miliunas
12-09-2004, 10:12 PM
That's pretty neat, Jim. :) I've ended up with more than my share of small ones, though most weren't *meant* to be small! :eek: Nice job. :) :cool:

Brad Schmid
12-09-2004, 10:58 PM
I guess that's what you'd call a "one finger bowl" :D :D :D
Nice job Jim
Brad

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-10-2004, 1:25 AM
Neat ones Jim.

I know what Johns talking about. I've had a few that said they didn't want to be BIG bowls and ended up being little ones.

Bruce

Gary Max
12-10-2004, 4:24 AM
Neat little bowl. Just think that would work great for a ice cream bowl for someone on a diet.

Jim Becker
12-10-2004, 9:32 AM
Very nice, Jim...and it's great that the coloration was of good scale for it, too. Believe it or not, these small pieces can be very useful for things like loose change or jewelry on the dresser, etc. If you start selling your work, they also provide a way for folks to buy and enjoy your work when they can't afford the larger pieces. I think you did a great job on this small piece...the form is great as is the proportions.

There is a fellow in our local AAW chapter by the name of Joe Seltzer who actually collects miniatures and has incredible work from all over the world. Dealing in small work means his money goes farther. There are actually a few folks who sell miniatures on EBAY very successfully...beautiful stuff, too.

Michael Stafford
12-10-2004, 9:49 AM
Jim,
Perfect bowl for the guy on a diet! Great fun turning small items. I, too, have managed to accidentally reduce the size of some bowls... Good to see you have some fun and improve your skills.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
12-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Nice little bowl, Jim. I have a box of small cut offs that I am making into small items and I kind of run out of ideas. There are small bowls, saucers, and what else? Not too much choice when the piece is about 3/4" thick. They can be used for lids to small boxes, but other than that I draw a blank. Got any ideas?

Michael Stafford
12-11-2004, 8:18 AM
Don, there is a book out there called "The Art of Small Scale Woodturning", one of my favorites as I turn more small stuff than large. One of the projects in it that I like are coasters. Nothing like a set of wooden coasters to use as a stocking stuffer or gift for unexpected visitors. You can turn 'em quickly. You can also make small lidded pill boxes out of two pieces of 3/4" stock. Have fun!