PDA

View Full Version : "Hi Jack!"

John Miliunas
12-09-2004, 9:19 PM
"Jack, meet John. John, this is Jack. Jack Clifton the 5th, I believe." Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaw...got the #5 today! :D What a piece of metal this puppy is! Nice shavings out of the box, but I couldn't resist, so I pulled the blade and gave it a touch on the MK II. The back was really flat, though I did polish it a bit on my trusty TJ glass plate. Hit the primary bevel and then put a micro bevel on it. (Took all of about one minute at the sharpening station! :) ) Back on the test boards, even finer shavings on both, the Cherry and the Walnut. Gots a load of stuff to learn about all this, but it's fun getting there! :) A special "Thanks" out to Gene Collison, who recommended this particular plane, as well as a supplier (The Best Things) who still has a decent price on them. Wasn't going to at first, but with the Euro rapidly on the rise, the time is now! Thanks for taking a peek! :) :cool:

Bart Leetch
12-09-2004, 9:46 PM
Well Hello Jack Clifton
Please take good care of my friend John keep his action plane smooooth & please get him squared away. :D :D :D :eek:

John Weber
12-09-2004, 10:00 PM
John,

Nice buy! I've got a couple Clifton's and they don't skimp on the iron. Very heavy solid planes. Will serve you well.

John

Keith Christopher
12-09-2004, 10:39 PM
John,

ooooohhhh...ahhhhhh....can I touch it ? Very nice !

Mark Singer
12-09-2004, 11:56 PM
John,

It is one of my favorites too. A lot of nice features like the special split cap iron. It is very accuratly machined as are their shoulder planes. I use it often and really like the weight and balance of my #4....Gene gave you good advice as he did me. (Veritas LA Jack) That is a great buy and The Best Things are really nice to work with. Lee , the owner is very knowlegeable and will come to the phone to answer questions! Pretty shavings....no whisker stubble:cool:

Louis Bois
12-10-2004, 7:25 AM
hahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
There's a bad moon risin' John...I think there's a bit more hair on the back of your hands of late:eek:

John Miliunas
12-10-2004, 7:50 AM
hahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
There's a bad moon risin' John...I think there's a bit more hair on the back of your hands of late:eek:

Not sure about the back of my hand, but should my eyebrows be this "bushy"? :confused: :) :cool:

Tyler Howell
12-10-2004, 8:03 AM
No hair on the hands from dragging his knuckles. Congrats John:cool: , you'll be smelting your own iron before long to forge tools:p .

John Miliunas
12-10-2004, 8:45 AM
No hair on the hands from dragging his knuckles. Congrats John:cool: , you'll be smelting your own iron before long to forge tools:p .

I don't THINK so! :eek: Heck, I've still got lots to learn on the proper care and feeding of these beasts, much less trying to create one. :) :cool:

Tyler Howell
12-10-2004, 8:53 AM
Wow That's purdy. Who's your supplier???

John Miliunas
12-10-2004, 8:57 AM
Wow That's purdy. Who's your supplier???

The Best Things. Good service, nice folks to deal with and the thing came packed where it would definitely withstand the UPS drop test! :) :cool:

Lou Morrissette
12-10-2004, 9:18 AM
John,

I hear they shut the power off to your house and you didn't even notice.:D
Nice plane.

Lou

Ted Shrader
12-10-2004, 10:46 AM
John -

Niiiiice piece of toolage. Congrats. That is really nice looking. Bet it works great.

Regards,
Ted

Steven Wilson
12-10-2004, 1:35 PM
I like the Clifton's, I have a complete set of the bench planes (before they went up in price), fine workers and very good looking.

Keith Christopher
12-10-2004, 2:17 PM
Hey john,

Let me know when you begin to get rid of all those annoying tools with tail. Once the cult here has you you're in deep. Me I can quit anytime I want to.

Keith

John Miliunas
12-10-2004, 3:02 PM
Me I can quit anytime I want to.

Keith

Yeah...Sure you can. :rolleyes: And, I suppose you have a prime piece of ocean-front property in Colorado you'd be willing to sell me, as well?! :eek: :D :) :cool: