PDA

View Full Version : trimming 3/16 in. edging.

paul cottingham
08-11-2010, 2:43 PM
I've built some shelves out of 3/4 plywood. I want to trim it with some 3/16 maple, that is 7/8 in. wide, to cover the plies. I am wondering what the easiest way to trim it flush would be? I would prefer to use hand tools, as I don't own a laminate trimmer, but may enjoy an excuse to buy one.

I am also considering the Veritas edge trimming plane http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,41182,48945,54862&p=54862. I know it is for trimming edges, but wonder if it would work for this. A block plane may be ok, but the shelves are 6 feet long, so trimming it evenly would be a chore.

Thanks!

Conrad Fiore
08-11-2010, 2:52 PM
Get the laminate trimmer over the edge trimming plane. It will come in handy if you don't own a router. You can probably get away with the block plane, but there is always the potential of cutting too deep into the plywood veneer and then you will have a mess to fix.

Chris Padilla
08-11-2010, 3:13 PM
There are lottsa ways to skin this cat.

I use a router table set up with a flush trim bit and a high fence.

Being a Neander, any old plane will do...just take 'er easy as you get close to that very thin top/show-side ply of your plywood. BTW, I do have the edge-trimming plane you have a link to...sweet plane...works great...and would do well in this situation. It all comes down to your skill and patience, really.

A router/trim bit works great as well. I'm in love with my Bosch Colt and they aren't too spendy as far as routers go.

Thomas love
08-11-2010, 3:31 PM
I like the trim router, If you go that route (npi) I like to climb cut on the first past to eliminate any tear-out
tom

Chris Padilla
08-11-2010, 3:55 PM
Macassar (sp?) Ebony, Thomas?

Jamie Buxton
08-11-2010, 8:37 PM
Trimming edgebanding is a task ideally suited to a handplane. The challenge is to not go too far, and gouge the veneer. A very good procedure is to put your workpiece down flat on the bench, and set up a lamp out in the shop right at the height of the top of the workpiece. Turn off all the other lights in the shop. You should see a long shadow from the excess edgebanding on the top of the workpiece. You may have to tweak the height of the light. That shadow gives you excellent understanding of how much farther you need to plane. I do it this way, and generally get close enough that a few swipes of the cabinet scraper completes the job.

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Use a tall auxiliary fence on the table saw, 1/4" above the table, flush to the blade. Raise the blade just past the edge thickness. I use a WWII. Far faster than a trimmer, and no risk of tearout, or tipping the trimmer and gouging.

The downside is you can only do two edges at a time.

I use 1/8" edging, and can raise my Unifence enough to clear the blade.

Thomas love
08-12-2010, 7:37 AM
Yes, I did a contemporary kitchen with this stuff.