PDA

View Full Version : New lathe purchase

Mark Woodmark
08-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I went ahead and purchased the Nova DVR XP, SuperNova 2 chuck (comes with insert adapter), 20 inch bed extension, and SuperNova power grip jaws. Being a novice turner, I am hoping I purchased correctly. Got a chance to turn on the DVR XP last week, I like it better than the Turncrafter I currently have. Next, when I replunish my bank account, I want to purchase some good lathe chisels. KMS was the cheapest I found on the Net for the lathe and the chuck with insert. Amazon seemed to be as cheap as everyone else on the rest

http://www.kmstools.com/nova-dvr-xp-variable-speed-wood-lathe-422

http://www.kmstools.com/nova-super-nova-2-standard-chuck-410

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032YX2JW/ref=oss_product

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036B2NOQ/ref=oss_product

Thom Sturgill
08-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Congratulations, there are several Nova owners here that really like their machines. The vortex pulls strong, but we like pictures - it didn't happen until we see some :D.

Many like the better Harbor Freight set as starters, and i went that way too. I have 'graduated' (gee I wonder if JH will give me a diploma?) to better chisels and have bought Benjamin's Best, Sorby, Hamlet, and now Doug Thompson's . Each has their place and none of the 'sets' are going to provide exactly what you need, but *may* be worth purchasing if you use enough of the tools in the set. Just remember to photograph the money in your wallet when you start - it will never be as full again once you start buying tools! :eek:

Mark Woodmark
08-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Congratulations, there are several Nova owners here that really like their machines. The vortex pulls strong, but we like pictures - it didn't happen until we see some :D.

Many like the better Harbor Freight set as starters, and i went that way too. I have 'graduated' (gee I wonder if JH will give me a diploma?) to better chisels and have bought Benjamin's Best, Sorby, Hamlet, and now Doug Thompson's . Each has their place and none of the 'sets' are going to provide exactly what you need, but *may* be worth purchasing if you use enough of the tools in the set. Just remember to photograph the money in your wallet when you start - it will never be as full again once you start buying tools! :eek:

Thanks Thom. I will post pictures when I get it set up. I have a set of BB chisels, but intend to purchase some Doug Thompsons in the future. Also I intend to die pennyless with all the tools in the world in my shop...HA!

David E Keller
08-11-2010, 11:46 AM
...Next, when I replunish my bank account...

Sorry, but that's very unlikely to happen. There is a vow of poverty associated with turning that is unbreakable.

Congrats on the new tools.

David E Keller
08-11-2010, 11:47 AM
...Also I intend to die pennyless with all the tools in the world in my shop...

Now you've got the idea!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Mark,

Recently, the LOML was telling our youngest son she wanted me to make 3 significant pieces of furniture so upon our demise, each of our 3 kids would inherit one.

My youngest son's reply " Forget the furniture, I want Dad's tools.":o

Mark Woodmark
08-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Sorry, but that's very unlikely to happen. There is a vow of poverty associated with turning that is unbreakable.

Congrats on the new tools.

Thanks David. I may be tool poor, but I am happy....Life is good!

Christopher Stahl
08-11-2010, 6:19 PM
Mark, congratulations on your purchase. I've owned a Nova DVR XP for a little over a year and haven't looked back. You've made an excellent purchase. My first set of lathe chisels came from Grizzly. I believe they were around $50 for the kit. I believe they were great for the money and will be more than enough until you're ready to spend some money on expensive chisels. Now get turning. :D

charlie knighton
08-11-2010, 8:14 PM
congratulations

Alan Trout
08-11-2010, 9:10 PM
Congratulations I have owned my DVR XP for a couple of years and it is one heck of a lathe. Build a good stand or buy the leg set and you will have a lathe to last you forever.

I really like my power grip jaws. I use them most often for tenons on larger hollow forms. They are great for that. Just remember with dovetail jaws the closer to the closed position the more contact with the wood so you get a better grip. I usually have a little over a 1/16" gap between the jaws when gripping the tenon.

The best lathe tools money can buy are from Thompson lathe tools. Great service and a great guy.

Good Luck

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
08-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Congrats on a great lathe. I have had mine now for 4 yrs and it has been a work horse.

My son said the same as Ken's son said. Mom you can keep the furniture just give me all of dad's tools.

Karl Card
08-11-2010, 11:27 PM
replenish your bank account......hmm something is wrong here... you have a bank account and a new lathe with extras coming..lol

congrats on the new lathe and the extras.

Paul Douglass
08-12-2010, 10:47 AM
You'll like the lathe for sure. I have the1624-44 Nova, the belt changer, and like it. I'm wondering if a person can purchase just the DVR head to upgrade the 1624. Someday I well check into that. I have the HF set of tools which I started with and have replaced some pieces with more expensive ones, the only difference I notice is the "better" ones don't need to be sharpened as often. I'd spend my extra money on specialty tools for hollowing and such.

bob svoboda
08-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Congratulations Mark. I've heard a lot of good things about the Nova. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt since there are no pic's :D

Alan Zenreich
08-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Another Nova DVR XP user here.

I like it a lot.

Of course if a OneWay fell into my lap, I wouldn't feel bad about giving the DVR to my wife <s>