View Full Version : Deep Penetrating Finish

Sean Troy
08-11-2010, 8:13 AM
Is there such a stain or way to get a stain to deep penetrate hardwood(s) face grain? Thanks, Sean

Prashun Patel
08-11-2010, 8:33 AM
what look do you want?

I've had the best luck getting 'deep' color using dyes instead of stains.

Sean Troy
08-11-2010, 10:00 AM
There may be a need to sand afterward on a special project and was just wondering if I could get the stain below the sanding level. It can not be stained after assembly is the problem. not a problem as i can use different wood of color instead of staining but would have preffered to use what I already have. Sean

Steve Schoene
08-11-2010, 10:35 AM
There is no stain or dye that can you can confidently expect to sand more that a very minimal amount without changing the color.

Sean Troy
08-11-2010, 11:14 AM
There is no stain or dye that can you can confidently expect to sand more that a very minimal amount without changing the color.
Ididn't think so, i was just hoping there was something new or something out there. Not a problem. thanks, Sean

Chris Padilla
08-11-2010, 11:49 AM
As Prashun said, dyes tend to penetrate the deepest of anything you put on wood. Also, the wood species matters...some have tighter pores than others (maple is tight...oak is very open).

The best way to know: try it on some scrap.

Mark Ottenheimer
08-11-2010, 5:23 PM
A while back I believe there was a post on here about how to get the dye color completely into a piece of wood. The post was by Jeff Jewwitt.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=138459