PDA

View Full Version : Figured Maple bowl 6½" X 3¼"

Leo Van Der Loo
08-10-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm back in London again and had this one sitting and waiting for a picture, turned just a couple of weeks ago, it needs some more Polymerized Tung oil on it, but is otherwise all done :)

It is from the same Manitoba Maple that I have been turning for a while already, still have some more that will get it's turn turning :D

All comments welcome :)

157999 158000

Norm Zax
08-11-2010, 4:50 AM
Nice lookin bowl there! The wood is pale but beautiful and you seem to have a steady supply. Keep em coming...

John Keeton
08-11-2010, 7:12 AM
Leo, I continue to be amazed at the subtle variations you include in your bowls! Having done so many, one would think they all would be alike, but you seem to include little nuances in each one.

Very nice wood in this one - I will hate to see this supply gone!

Quinn McCarthy
08-11-2010, 9:09 AM
Another great bowl Leo. Just love the grain.

Quinn

Roger Chandler
08-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Great bowl Leo,

Reallly nice form. I like that you have included a foot on this one, as I think it adds to the overall form! When you get it finished post another picture!

I wonder how a guy could find Manitoba Maple in Virginia? Sure is pretty wood!

steven carter
08-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Great looking bowl Leo! Nothing unusual about that! Love the grain, looks like some bird's eye. I just got my first acer negundo to turn, and am looking forward to it. Unfortunately the tree was full of carpenter ants, so I didn't get as much as I would have liked. What little I've turned so far has some nice curl though.

Steve

David E Keller
08-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Beautiful bowl, Leo. I love the figure in that wood.

Bernie Weishapl
08-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Pretty bowl Leo. Great looking wood.

Joe Shinall
08-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Love your work Leo. And like John said, I love the subtle touches on each.

Steve Schlumpf
08-12-2010, 8:56 AM
Leo - sure is a pretty bowl! Great looking wood! If you can - post a photo of it once you have applied your finish. I know that as nice as the wood looks now - it is really going to come to life with some oil on it!

Glad you made it back home safely! Hope you are able to get in some shop time - great way to relax after a long trip!

Matt Hutchinson
08-12-2010, 9:32 AM
Leo, I have been really enjoying the pieces you're making from this tree. Gorgeous wood and excellent work!! Thanks!

Hutch

bob svoboda
08-12-2010, 9:34 AM
Very nice Leo. I really like the rim detail and that is surely a beautiful chunk of wood.

Ron Lynch
08-12-2010, 9:14 PM
Leo strikes again! Gorgeous little bowl, the beads and details really move it up a couple levels. That piece of maple has been very good to you.

Baxter Smith
08-12-2010, 9:34 PM
Very good looking bowl Leo with lots of little details that add to the piece. What mixture of oil and sealer have you been using on these maple bowls? I like the level of sheen on all of them. I ordered some from Lee Valley and have used it on half a dozen pieces in different proportions. I haven't seemed to have gotten the sheen yours show unless it is pretty close to all oil. I have a couple of bowls from a Red Maple I cut last week, then turned thin, that I would like to use it on when dry.

James Roberts
08-12-2010, 9:45 PM
Very nice Leo, I like the rim treatment a lot. Nice chunk of wood as well.

James Combs
08-12-2010, 9:48 PM
Nice Leo, I especially like the rim. One of many from the same tree eh? I am going to have to go back and look at some of your earlier posts.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Nice lookin bowl there! The wood is pale but beautiful and you seem to have a steady supply. Keep em coming...

Thanks Zax :D, Yes you are right it is pretty pale looking now, it is the combination of light colored wood and just one dry coat of oil on it, it will get a nicer color later with some more oil and time to mature a bit :)

Leo, I continue to be amazed at the subtle variations you include in your bowls! Having done so many, one would think they all would be alike, but you seem to include little nuances in each one.

Very nice wood in this one - I will hate to see this supply gone!

Thank you John:), you know and also use the little different curves and extras to set one piece apart from the next one, it doesn't take a lot of difference in the curve or shape todo that, it is something I like doing, it makes all the difference between just another bowl and a different bowl.

Well I used most of the larger and easier to use pieces of this tree, but in a way I will be glad to turn something else, the Manitoba Maple has never been a favorite turning wood for me, even though it can look quite good and is easy to dry without problems, turns and sands just fine, it just has never appealed much to me :D

Another great bowl Leo. Just love the grain.

Quinn

Thanks for your comment Quinn, appreciate it :D

Great bowl Leo,

Reallly nice form. I like that you have included a foot on this one, as I think it adds to the overall form! When you get it finished post another picture!

I wonder how a guy could find Manitoba Maple in Virginia? Sure is pretty wood!

He thanks Roger :), I was all set to remove that foot, even today as I put a coat of Tung on it I was eyeing it, I still might remove it, but yes for now I think it works with this one :).
As for the common name here it is Manitoba Maple, Ashleaf Maple and Boxelder are also used for this tree, it is fast growing and widespread tree, quite a weak wood and looked upon as a weed tree in most places.
It is not a tree that you would go and look for in a forest setting, but more likely found in overgrown urban settings.

Great looking bowl Leo! Nothing unusual about that! Love the grain, looks like some bird's eye. I just got my first acer negundo to turn, and am looking forward to it. Unfortunately the tree was full of carpenter ants, so I didn't get as much as I would have liked. What little I've turned so far has some nice curl though.

Steve

Thanks Steve :D, I don't recall ant problems in these trees, had ants in Black Cherry and some other fruit trees, yes the wood is quite often curly and shows figure often, I would think that is about it's only favorable quality :rolleyes:

Beautiful bowl, Leo. I love the figure in that wood.

Thank you for commenting David :D

Pretty bowl Leo. Great looking wood.

Thanks Bernie :) :)

Leo Van Der Loo
08-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Love your work Leo. And like John said, I love the subtle touches on each.

Thank you for commenting Joe :), take care.

Leo - sure is a pretty bowl! Great looking wood! If you can - post a photo of it once you have applied your finish. I know that as nice as the wood looks now - it is really going to come to life with some oil on it!

Glad you made it back home safely! Hope you are able to get in some shop time - great way to relax after a long trip!

Hi Steve :), I was kind of eager to show something after a 10 day hiatus from turning and posting, seemed the forum was a little sparse with posts as well, so yes the wood will get to look much better with some more finish on it and some time to get that mature color of the Maple, I can post it again in a while (if I don't forget :o)

I had an enjoyable time at my sons place, we finished his storage shed but for some locking hardware to be still installed, I like driving and enjoy that but for the part through Toronto, (too busy and there seems to be always road building/repairs going on resulting in stop and go traffic)

here's a picture of what we were up to :D

Leo, I have been really enjoying the pieces you're making from this tree. Gorgeous wood and excellent work!! Thanks!

Hutch

Thanks Hutch, hows the log coming along ?, slowly I would expect :), but you'll forget all the work when it's all done :D

Very nice Leo. I really like the rim detail and that is surely a beautiful chunk of wood.

Thank you Bob :D, it has been quite a good tree to turn all the pieces from :D

Leo strikes again! Gorgeous little bowl, the beads and details really move it up a couple levels. That piece of maple has been very good to you.

Thanks Ron :D, I got to do something to keep the attention :eek: ;) :D

Very good looking bowl Leo with lots of little details that add to the piece. What mixture of oil and sealer have you been using on these maple bowls? I like the level of sheen on all of them. I ordered some from Lee Valley and have used it on half a dozen pieces in different proportions. I haven't seemed to have gotten the sheen yours show unless it is pretty close to all oil. I have a couple of bowls from a Red Maple I cut last week, then turned thin, that I would like to use it on when dry.

Hi Baxter, thank you :), Baxter on soft and more open wood I use straight oil, only if I think the wood will not take the oil readily will I add some real turpentine for just the first coat.
The oil gives a good sheen after several coats 3 or 4 or more, but the smoother the initial surface the better the final outcome, if the wood is rough it takes forever to get enough coats to get above that and get a nice smooth surface.
It pays to polish the wood before adding the oil, also after the oil has hardened for a week or better, you can polish the finish, and get more shine :D

Leo Van Der Loo
08-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Very nice Leo, I like the rim treatment a lot. Nice chunk of wood as well.

Thanks for commenting James, it's appreciated :D

Leo Van Der Loo
08-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Nice Leo, I especially like the rim. One of many from the same tree eh? I am going to have to go back and look at some of your earlier posts.

Hé you almost slipped by me James :D, thanks for the comment, yes I turned a bunch of bowls of this tree, and posted some pictures from them, the biggest one isn't finished yet, I have been working on that one on and off for quite a while, I should find that "getaroundtoit" and getherdon :D

charlie knighton
08-13-2010, 3:15 AM
very nice, Leo, i also like your ? building

Roland Martin
08-13-2010, 6:40 AM
I too like the subtle detailing of the rim. I'm not quite sure about the foot yet, it may grow on me, the grain is beautiful. Thanks for posting and glad you had a nice visit.

Harvey Ghesser
08-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Beautiful form, Leo! Almost looks like marble..

Paul Douglass
08-13-2010, 10:14 AM
I really like the bowl and it will only improve when you add finish that really "pops" the grain on the inside.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-14-2010, 12:38 AM
very nice, Leo, i also like your ? building

Thanks you Charlie :), the building is just for storing the usual stuff when you have a property with a house and 4 kids, it'll be toooo small soon :eek:

I too like the subtle detailing of the rim. I'm not quite sure about the foot yet, it may grow on me, the grain is beautiful. Thanks for posting and glad you had a nice visit.

He thanks Roland :), yes the feeling is mutual on the foot, I left the recess so I can still "take care of it" if it doesn't grow on me :rolleyes: :),
I/we do enjoy visiting whenever we can with our sons and the grandkids, time flies and we'll be history ................:)

I really like the bowl and it will only improve when you add finish that really "pops" the grain on the inside.

Thank you Paul :D, the finish will certainly improve the looks right away, but time does add to it as well with this wood, as is my experience with it :)

Beautiful form, Leo! Almost looks like marble..

Thanks for commenting Harvey :D, the wood does look good especially the one side where there's burl in it, it is still pretty light colored, though I do expect that to become a more mature color in a bit :)

William Hutchinson
08-14-2010, 7:15 AM
As a novice turner I appreciate seeing the work of talented individuals. Bowls are essentially a cavity surrounded by wood but, as I am discovering, are surprisingly complex to craft a pleasing well proportioned form. The beaded lip and round over to the inner undercut is a very nice feature that is strengthening by the foot. Thanks for sharing your fine work.

Curt Fuller
08-14-2010, 11:02 AM
That's a beautiful bowl. I always enjoy the way you embellish the rims on your bowls.

Josh Bowman
08-14-2010, 2:44 PM
Leo, that is absolutely beautiful! You photography is very nice also. Great details.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-14-2010, 9:09 PM
As a novice turner I appreciate seeing the work of talented individuals. Bowls are essentially a cavity surrounded by wood but, as I am discovering, are surprisingly complex to craft a pleasing well proportioned form. The beaded lip and round over to the inner undercut is a very nice feature that is strengthening by the foot. Thanks for sharing your fine work.

Thank you Bill :), Ha, a cavity surrounded by wood ??, sometimes I call that a hole in the tree :p, just kidding :D :D

That's a beautiful bowl. I always enjoy the way you embellish the rims on your bowls.

Thanks for commenting Curt :).

Leo, that is absolutely beautiful! You photography is very nice also. Great details.

Thank you Josh :), I do my best on the photo's, it's the only way we can show our pieces, as there's no "beam me up Scotty " yet :D

Leo Van Der Loo
08-23-2010, 1:44 AM

Steve, as I was making the pictures from the Red Oak bowl I remembered that I had promised to make some pictures and show them when the finish was on the Manitoba Maple bowl and polished, so I did give it a polish and here are the pictures, thanks for looking :D :) :D
159219 159216 159217 159218