PDA

View Full Version : space balls?

harry boyer
08-10-2010, 9:48 PM
I haven't seen a post on space balls in yrs.( little balls to keep panels from rattling in frame and panel doors) Woodcraft had them on sale in their July flyer. I was wondering if anyone still used them. Thought I'd jog the old timers for a reaction.

Thanks

Gary Muto
08-10-2010, 10:30 PM
I have not used them. I put a dab of glue in the center of the top and bottom rail slot to hold the panel. I have not had rattles or other problems, but my oldest piece is only about 3 years old.

Steve Costa
08-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Response from an old timer:mad:. Yes, I have used them for floating panels in cabinets. Work great, no rattles.

Steve

Clint Olver
08-11-2010, 1:02 AM
I use them in large panels and in panels that will be moved (ie. a door). They work as intended. For smaller panels and on stationary projects, I don't see the need.

C

J.R. Rutter
08-11-2010, 1:42 AM
My doors go everywhere from Alaska to Hawaii, so movement is a big potential issue for me. I have gone to a softer gasket material made from neoprene foam. The space balls were stiff enough to bend out the stiles on lighter wood doors (like alder) with skinny frames (like 2-1/4"). Also, if they are overcompressed, the space balls weep some plasticizer - enough to make little oily spots in unfinished wood.

Karl Card
08-11-2010, 6:27 AM
good movie..... oh you mean those balls.... ic...

Lee Schierer
08-11-2010, 7:59 AM
I bought some, used a few. They seem okay.

You can also make your own by laying a bead of silicone sealant on a sheet of wax paper and letting it cure. Make the diameter of the bead the width of your groove and cut it into 1/4-3/8" long sections. It will do the same job.

harry boyer
08-11-2010, 8:59 AM
I've been making resawn panels . haven't done that many but have generally made them too tight. I've been worried about expansion. I'll try the silicon . Don't have to send off for something new. Truthfully I don't have a moisture meter. I route the slot 3/8 deep. Is there any concern about the solid panel contracting and becoming too loose.
Allowing for the groove on ea. side what would a rule of thumb + or - be for the panel size?

On drawer bottoms, I'm making the bottm(expansion) go to the depth of the drawer and using a little screw. We've had so much humidity here in W.Pa. I have a dehumidifier but prob. should invest in a moisture meter.

thanks

Cody Colston
08-11-2010, 9:17 AM
I use them. They work, they are cheap, they are easy and they don't require doing anything special.

scott vroom
08-11-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm not planning to use them on my painted office furniture doors...I don't want even the slightest movement that could expose a painted edge on my raised panels. I live in the SF Bay Area where we enjoy lower relative humidity. I plan to glue my raised panels in place. I guess I'll find out if this is a mistake:)

Kent A Bathurst
08-11-2010, 11:17 AM
You can also make your own by laying a bead of silicone sealant on a sheet of wax paper and letting it cure. Make the diameter of the bead the width of your groove and cut it into 1/4-3/8" long sections.

We need a smilie of a guy slamming his head against the wall: How is it possible I never thought of that?

Lee - thanks - I guess - you're a number of years late, and I've got plenty in inventory.

Harry - PM me and I'll mail you a couple dozen of each of 2 sizes. Mine are "torpedo" shaped, not round. Same deal, though.

Neal Clayton
08-11-2010, 4:36 PM
not so much a concern for the rattling, but the big benefit of them is aid in centering the panel during assembly. uncentered panels WILL move and WILL take a finish edge with them 99 times out of 100.

i like the barrel style ones personally, they don't take off when you drop one on the floor ;).

Mike Green
08-11-2010, 6:08 PM
I just put a dab of clear silicone in several places.

Chris Padilla
08-11-2010, 8:33 PM
You can also make your own by laying a bead of silicone sealant on a sheet of wax paper and letting it cure. Make the diameter of the bead the width of your groove and cut it into 1/4-3/8" long sections. It will do the same job.

+1 I usually like to watch it cure...very exciting. :)

ed vitanovec
08-12-2010, 12:06 AM
I've used the space balls on many raised panel doors and really like them, they work well. For me they are easier to install verses the foam tape strips. I use abour 8-10 per door, depending on the door size.

Joe Chritz
08-12-2010, 12:23 PM
All the methods work but for the cost and ease of space balls it is all I use anymore.

Just about every time I order from someplace I add a hundred or so to the order and I always have a big jar full sitting around.

Joe

Ellen Benkin
08-12-2010, 2:54 PM
Dried silicone beads or strips -- great idea.