PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth the effort?

Dennis Reardon
08-10-2010, 9:10 PM
I have to admit I have no idea what the processes would be to rejuvenate this jointer. And yet, at that price I'm curious.

I forgot to add that this jointer is about a 140 miles down the road from me.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/tls/1891659940.html

This looks awfully rough to me.

David Christopher
08-10-2010, 9:36 PM
looks like some sandpaper and some rustoleum hammered green paint and it would look like new

Karl Card
08-10-2010, 9:40 PM
I would have to go look at it at least..... take 175 with you in one pocket. a few bucks in another pocket for some sand paper and paint on the way home.....

Mike Cruz
08-10-2010, 10:03 PM
For the price, I'd have to say that if it is in good working order, a little elbow grease will go a long way. I love to see equipment that has been neglected get restored/brought back from the dead so that it doesn't go into a landfill. That said, it pains me to see that someone let it get in that condition.

Agreed, try to see if he'll take less. Even $150 if he seems like he just wants it outta there. But even at $200, you'll have an 8" jointer!

I just picked up a 20 year old Delta 8" in about that condition for $400. But, I think the Delta was more new than the Grizzly, so that may account for it being cheaper.

Realize that you may or may not want to drop some more money into it to replace some odds and ends that will make it work/look better. For example: the power switch may be sticky/shot. Luckily for you, Grizzly's parts are not only readily available, but fairly inexpensive. Can't say as much for Delta...

Pete Bradley
08-10-2010, 10:18 PM
That's what a machine looks like after dogs use it like a hydrant over an extended period. It should be very restorable though. All the usual applies, check if it runs, check if it takes power you have, check carefully for cracks, breaks, and missing parts.

Dennis Reardon
08-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Seems like a nice enough guy. The big black extension cord hanging off the infield table is 30 feet long and comes with the jointer. It is wired for 220V with the three prong twist plug. He says he has been using it for the last 6 months in its present condition with no worries. As I mentioned earlier he is about 140 miles away. Luckily for both of us he is planning a trip to Spokane on the 22 -24 of August, which means free delivery!!

I asked him to send me several more pictures so that I can identify the model # and get some measurements of its size. However he will not be able to send them until Friday. I told him that was fine.

So maybe it's a deal in works, and maybe not. Will know more Friday.

david brum
08-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I just finished restoring an '80s era 3 hp dust collector in similar condition. That rust will clean up very quickly with a wire brush on an electric drill or similar. I sprayed mine with Rustoleum to match my Shop Fox stuff. I was very pleasantly surprised to see how well the newer spray cans perform, and how easily the paint flowed out. Not a difficult job at all. Since the paint was often so crappy on older Taiwanese machines, you practically can't help but make it look better.

If it were me, I would disconnect the base from the actual jointer and just do the base, probably inside and out. The whole job could be done inside two hours, minus the drying time. Just make sure to get all the rust down to bare metal first.

Myk Rian
08-11-2010, 7:26 AM
Sand blast it.
Looks like my G1018. $200 is the top price I would pay for that rust bucket. Should clean up nice though. I got mine last year, for $350 in good condition.

David Nelson1
08-11-2010, 7:33 AM
When you get here inspect the blades for chips and what not run a few boards edge wise then face them if you find nothing wotn @ that point I'd offer 150.00 and go from there.

Don Jarvie
08-11-2010, 4:16 PM
Buy, By, Buy! Unless the motor is dead, broken parts to the tables or the tables are really warped get it.

Go over to OWWM.org and check out some of the restorations. 200 is a steal for an 8 inch jointer.

My CL has nitwits trying to sell a 6 inch crappy craftsman for 300.

Roger Jensen
08-11-2010, 4:43 PM
That's funny. I had the exact same thought. I dog can only raise his leg so high...

george wilson
08-11-2010, 9:47 PM
Has that jointer been in a flood? If so you will probably need a new motor. Perhaps a new switch,too? Maybe it's just dogs as suggested. I hope so.

Mark Wyatt
08-11-2010, 9:57 PM
Has that jointer been in a flood? If so you will probably need a new motor. Perhaps a new switch,too? Maybe it's just dogs as suggested. I hope so.

I was thinging the same thing. When I was looking for my jointer, I looked at one like this only to find the bottom 1/3 of the stand was ready to collapse from the rust eating away the metal. It had been set on a concrete floor which was perpetually damp. You may need to replace the entire base.

Lee Schierer
08-12-2010, 8:15 AM
Sandpaper will take off too much metal, use a red scotchbrite pad on a vibratory sander with either paint thinner or WD-40 as a lubricant. That surface rust will be gone in a jiffy with no damage to the top surface flatness. Use a wire wheel to clean off the base and then prime and repaint it you should be good as new in short order.

I would also make sure I clean up the head, sharpen the blades and lubricate all the moving parts before running it.

harry strasil
08-12-2010, 8:25 AM
What lee said about sandpaper, but use Marvel Mystery Oil with the scotchbrite, and soak the head in MMO then untighten and retighten each of the blade bolts one at a time. It will probably need the blades sharpened too. If he brings it to your place, make sure you have a place to plug it in and try the motor to make sure it runs and sounds ok, in that condition, bearings may be a problem too. FWIW, WD40 means Water Displacement or Dispersal and the 40th formula was the one that worked. It also leaves a sticky residue behind if not completely wiped off.

Michael Arruda
08-12-2010, 12:31 PM
If you could get it for $100-150, go for it. $200, maybe, if it's being delivered for free. Make sure the mechanicals are in good shape- worst case scenario, you could make a new base- it's just sheet steel.

Being that it's a tool that needs restoration, I'd hold out and get a good old jointer- a 8 inch Crescent or Oliver, something of that nature. Definately more worthy of restoration.

-Michael

Myk Rian
08-12-2010, 1:59 PM
Go over to OWWM.org and check out some of the restorations. 200 is a steal for an 8 inch jointer.
Just don't ever mention Grizzly over there. You'll get thrown into the spinning knives.

Don Jarvie
08-12-2010, 2:49 PM
It was more for inspiration.

Some get scared when they see a rehab so looking at some of the disasters that were brought back life at OWWM can be inspirational.

I do concur Grizzly is a dirty word.