PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Agazzani 24" bandsaw

Kim Gibbens
08-10-2010, 9:07 PM
Hello everyone,
This is my first post so be gentle. I have been searching for a bandsaw ( first and last ) and have been pouring over and over all the excellent posts on SMC. I was looking to purchase new and was considering all the usual suspects in the 16" to 18" range and was narrowing it down to the MM 16, a Laguna LT 18 3000 and the Grizzly G0636X. My price ceiling was 3Gs and I figured I could outfit any one of these nicely for that amount. Was closing in and getting excited. Now I have an opportunity to purchase semi locally a 2002 Agazzani 24" for less than 2Gs. I haven't seen pictures yet, they will come later in the week, and he says it has seen little use and is in good condition. Sounds to be an excellent deal if it is as stated from what I have been able to gleen from happy Agazzani posters here. Since there is very little ( none that I have been able to find ) information on these saws I was hoping someone who owns one would be able to share some information about their saw and their opinions as well.
Some of my questions:
What are the dimensions of the saw? Especially the heighth? My garage has a 9' ceiling and a 84" opening at the garage door. Will it fit?
What is the smallest blade that can be used? Will I be able to do tight curves if I need to?
I know that bandsaws have improved a lot in recent years, will I be giving up some refinements or bells and whistles with a saw that is 8 years old already? Would I be better off with a new machine? A lot of people say buy the biggest saw you can afford, and the 24" is a big saw and I can afford it.
Given the information I have given you, please give me your insights and opinions. I feel I need to move fast if this saw will be the one that I end up with. I don't want to rush, but I don't want to miss a golden opportunity either.
Thanks for any and all advice you can give

Kim

Gary Max
08-10-2010, 9:10 PM
I would buy the Agazzani in a second if it is good condition.

Matt Logana
08-10-2010, 9:25 PM
Its more like this: Would you rather an old Rolls Royce... or a new Toyota?

Sure the Toyota has the CD changer and the low emmision engine... BUT... the Rolls has a V-12 and the chick magnet(Think Borat... lol)..

Dave MacArthur
08-11-2010, 12:10 AM
From a recent email from Jesse at Eagle Tools which sells Agazzani saws.

> AGAZZANI SPECIFICATIONS: For Models B-24, B-20, and B-18 (For higher
> resaw capacities, ask about our B18/18, B20/20, and B24/24 )
>
> B-24 B-20 B-18
> >
> Footrpint at base 34² x 16² 29² x 16² 28² x 14 3/4²
> Maximum resaw height 16.75² 13.50² 13²
> Maximum cutting width 22.75² 19² 17 1/4²
> Blade range 1/4² to 1 1/2² 1/4² to 1 1/4² 1/4² to 1²
> Table size 23.25² x 32² 19.4² x 26.5² 17² x 24.5²
> Weight 660 lbs. 474lbs. 386 lbs.
> Overall height 83.50² 76² 75 1/4²
> Overall width 44.50² 34² 33²
> Overall depth 24.75² 22² 22²
>
> B-24 Horse Power: 4.8HP, single or three phase, 230 volts
B-20 Horse Power: 3.0HP, single or three phase, 230 volts
> B-18 Horse Power: 3.0HP, single phase, 230 volts (Agazzani installs
> Industrial grade motors rated for continuous duty)
>
> OTHER FEATURES
> € New generation factory blade guides
> € Agazzani¹s Vulcanized long-life rubber wheel tires have an average
> lifetime of twenty years !!
> € Rack and pinion control for tilting work table € Solid cast iron
> wheels electronically balanced € Rack and pinion upper arm € Epoxy
> polyester powder-coating (not paint) to resist rust and abrasion.
> € Two position Rip fence included, blade tension scale, double dust
> ports € Foot brake with micro switch for motor shut off. Micro
> switches on doors (not on B-18).
> € Leveling set screws in base
>
> Agazzani has been the premiere manufacturer of bandsaws in Italy since
> 1938..
> ³Sixty years of Bandsaw Engineering²
>

Matt Logana
08-11-2010, 1:53 AM
From a recent email from Jesse at Eagle Tools which sells Agazzani saws.

> AGAZZANI SPECIFICATIONS: For Models B-24, B-20, and B-18 (For higher
> resaw capacities, ask about our B18/18, B20/20, and B24/24 )
>
> B-24 B-20 B-18
> >
> Footrpint at base 34² x 16² 29² x 16² 28² x 14 3/4²
> Maximum resaw height 16.75² 13.50² 13²
> Maximum cutting width 22.75² 19² 17 1/4²
> Blade range 1/4² to 1 1/2² 1/4² to 1 1/4² 1/4² to 1²
> Table size 23.25² x 32² 19.4² x 26.5² 17² x 24.5²
> Weight 660 lbs. 474lbs. 386 lbs.
> Overall height 83.50² 76² 75 1/4²
> Overall width 44.50² 34² 33²
> Overall depth 24.75² 22² 22²
>
> B-24 Horse Power: 4.8HP, single or three phase, 230 volts
B-20 Horse Power: 3.0HP, single or three phase, 230 volts
> B-18 Horse Power: 3.0HP, single phase, 230 volts (Agazzani installs
> Industrial grade motors rated for continuous duty)
>
> OTHER FEATURES
> € New generation factory blade guides
> € Agazzani¹s Vulcanized long-life rubber wheel tires have an average
> lifetime of twenty years !!
> € Rack and pinion control for tilting work table € Solid cast iron
> wheels electronically balanced € Rack and pinion upper arm € Epoxy
> polyester powder-coating (not paint) to resist rust and abrasion.
> € Two position Rip fence included, blade tension scale, double dust
> ports € Foot brake with micro switch for motor shut off. Micro
> switches on doors (not on B-18).
> € Leveling set screws in base
>
> Agazzani has been the premiere manufacturer of bandsaws in Italy since
> 1938..
> ³Sixty years of Bandsaw Engineering²
>

Big question regarding these stats.... Imperial or Metric? I see Euro signs, so I assume Metric, but some things arent adding up.

Dave MacArthur
08-11-2010, 2:47 AM
? It's all in inches. The 2 is just a footnote reference to something not posted.

Matt Logana
08-11-2010, 2:52 AM
? It's all in inches. The 2 is just a footnote reference to something not posted.

Ahh Gotcha

Kim Gibbens
08-11-2010, 7:35 AM
Thanks for the information with the dimensions. How much does a 1/4" blade limit tight curve work?
Are any of you owners of this saw? Would you care to comment yay or nay?
Here is some information from the seller
"Resaw capacity is 15.75 inches.
Motor is 4 HP, 230 volt, single phase
Saw has lever operated table tilt (fast and easy), foot brake with microswitch power cut off (safe, fast and easy), magnetic controls, two vacuum attachment ports, euro guides, split rail for easy blade change, electronically balanced solid cast iron wheels, and many other common features.
Saw weighs 600 lbs and comes with 3 blades one of which is carbide tipped "

Too much saw for a 2 car garage that shares duty as a garage?
I plan on retiring in about 2 years and I am in the process of ramping up my shop for the coming free time and I don't want regrets for not getting a big enough saw or too big of saw either.

Kim

Stephen Cherry
08-11-2010, 7:49 AM
I have this saw in my two car garage, and it fits just fine, and it's a good machine. The footprint isn't really that bit.

One way to look at it is that if you buy it and decide that it's not for you, you will be able to sell it for about what you paid. You can't say this for a new saw.

As for the quarter inch blade, I don't use anything that small. Past posts have discussed ways to adequately support small blades, but I have a scroll saw for things like that. Overall, I would say that it is a fine machine that is a pleasure to use.

One option would be to buy the saw, and then to get the ceramic guides and driftmaster fence from Laguna. I haven't done this because I am satisfied with the machine as it is.

Any other specific questions, feel free to ask.

Kim Gibbens
08-11-2010, 8:01 AM
Thanks Stephen
I kind of had that in the back of my mind about those exact upgrades. The Laguna guides look just so right to me and everyone seems to like their DM fence.

David Weaver
08-11-2010, 8:06 AM
I would worry more about the height inside the garage than the door. You can tip a saw to get it under a door if you have the manpower or machinery to do it.

I had to tip mine to get it to the back of the garage due to an i-beam in the middle.

Can't see where the footprint of a 24 inch modern saw would be a lot bigger than 18 or 20, unless the table is enormous (probably not).

Stephen Cherry
08-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks Stephen
I kind of had that in the back of my mind about those exact upgrades. The Laguna guides look just so right to me and everyone seems to like their DM fence.

I would get the saw and use it for a while first; unless you are resawing for veneer very often, you may find the guides and fence on the saw to be just fine.

Mike Hollingsworth
08-11-2010, 6:09 PM
The Best reason to buy an Agazzani BandSaw is Jesse Barrigan. Best Customer Service on the Planet. You won't find an unsatisfied customer.

Kim Gibbens
08-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, everyone seems to be real nice and willing to help a new member out. That speaks volumes compared to some forums I frequent ( not wood working related ).
I hope to have some pictures and a call from the seller Thursday evening. I have pretty much made up my mind to get this saw if everything checks out OK. I will keep you informed on the progress of my future bandsaw purchase.
If this deal falls through I will ask for your opinions again about the saws I mentioned in my first post and any others that I should be looking at.
Thanks again , and keep trying to help me with this decision.

Kim

Greg Portland
08-12-2010, 1:28 PM
How much does a 1/4" blade limit tight curve work?
Are any of you owners of this saw? Would you care to comment yay or nay?That limit is due to the -guides-, NOT the saw. Although I have a Laguna, the 'official' restrictions are the same (actually I think they are more restrictive on my saw). What I have done is to use the regular guides for all the larger blades. When I get down around 3/8" and below I use wood guides. The teeth of the blade can hit these and will not be damaged. You can make your own wood guides, just cut small wooden blocks that will fit into your guide clamp mechanism. I use a 3/16" blade regularly for thin detailed cuts using this setup.

Kim Gibbens
08-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Today ( 8-15-10 ) my wife and I made a six hour round trip to a tiny town in Kansas to look at this jewel. It was beginning to rust a little on the bottom plate from the environment ( stored in a barn ) and had a major scuff on the rear spine from 1 of 3 previous moves. It was love at first sight. I handed him his money ( no need to haggle on the price ) and we agreed to pick it up next Sunday. This is going to be a Hell of a long week. I took my camera along but forgot all about it in the excitement. I'll keep everyone updated when it gets to its' new permanent home.
Thanks to all who encouraged me in this transaction.

Paul McGaha
08-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Kim,

Congratulations on the purchase. Sounds like you're really happy with it.

PHM

Frank Drew
08-16-2010, 8:21 AM
Cool; I can't imagine you won't be very happy with that machine. I think 24" is a great size for a band saw; Tannewitz has, or used to have, one that size, and if I was in the market for a saw I'd get that Agazzani in a heartbeat if I saw one available at a good price.

Van Huskey
08-16-2010, 8:14 PM
Good buy. Be sure to post pics after you get her home. As mentioned the guides are the main limit to size though some times larger wheeled BS have a hard time tracking a very small blade. If you plan to do much with smaller blades than 1/4" get a Carter stabilizer, they are around 80 bucks and make a BS cut like the blade is on rails.

Dave MacArthur
08-17-2010, 1:46 AM
I posted a thread on moving my 20" Agazzani home, about 2 months ago.
Pickup works fine, it's 83.5" and will fit in there diagonal on the spine in a full bed pickup. Three guys can tip it in fine, 660 lbs.. Remove the table, it's VERY easy, four bolts.

Take some scrap lumber and a cordless saw, chop up some framing to wedge against saw and pickup bed corners to hold saw vertical on it's spine. Wrap it in some blankets. About 3 tie-down ratcheting straps.

Rock solid. I liked this better than previous tool moves on a trailer by far, was very worried about it before doing it, now I would recommend it for any bandsaw that fits in bed diagonal. Oh, lay it on some cross bars to keep spine off bed.

Take it out of the pickup using a shop crane. I did this solo without a problem.
I need to update my "how to move a saw" thread in my sig...