PDA

View Full Version : Under Lathe Storage and a Special Guest

Nate Davey
08-10-2010, 8:34 PM
It's not cabinet grade, but it is functional. Taking my inspiration from Mike Minto, but not wanting to look like I copied, I made this storage unit out of scrap plywood I had laying around. The bottom drawers are my "all things finishing" drawer and the other is for all my lathe stuff. The upper drawers are for pencils, pens, caliper and..... The cupboards have my pen making supplies and my Beall Buff stuff when it shows up. I made all the drawers and doors recessed into the carcass so as not to get a bunch of shaving inside. I still have to turn the knobs, but not in a real big hurry.

While painting body the I heard a strange noise next to the ceiling. I looked up and a humming bird had come in and gotten trapped in the garage. Once she wore herself out, I took her outside and put her in a tree where she recovered and flew off. A wonderful evening.

Tom Sherman
08-10-2010, 8:38 PM
Very cool storage Nate, and great humanitarian effort.:)

David E Keller
08-10-2010, 8:42 PM
Nicely done on the storage... I need to do that. Pretty bird, too.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-10-2010, 8:46 PM
So that's what a humming bird looks like. We don't have any. :)

Scrap plywood huh? Looks good to me.

David Christopher
08-10-2010, 8:54 PM
nice storage, and a cool picture of the bird

Mike Minto
08-10-2010, 9:02 PM
Taking my inspiration from Mike Minto...

Nate, thanks for the props, but I must say again that I took my inspiration from others - mine was not an original design. Yours looks very cool and functional, I must say. Let me ask - have you had trouble with wood chips getting in your cabinet drawers? I sure do, and must regularly blow them clean with my air compressor. Regarding the hummingbird, I applaud your kindness and concern - I had, and did, the same thing (happen) in our office last year. We keep feeders for them during the time they are in Virginia, and we find them most fascinating. Concern for things 'weaker' and 'lesser' than ourselves is true testimony of humanity, whatever that may be (even if we are not vegans). OK, I got off topic - quick, mods, delete my post even if other's even more egregious posts have been let stand.

Nate Davey
08-10-2010, 9:07 PM
Mike,

I read your post about getting chips in the drawers, so that is why I recessed all my openings into the carcass. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but at least I'm a tool in the shed :D

I've been in the Army 22 years, I just can't see harming something for no reason. We do it to ourselves too much.

Mike Minto
08-10-2010, 9:18 PM
Mike,

I read your post about getting chips in the drawers, so that is why I recessed all my openings into the carcass. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but at least I'm a tool in the shed :D

I've been in the Army 22 years, I just can't see harming something for no reason. We do it to ourselves too much.

22 years? Too cool - I retired as a CW2 after just 20 - wish I had gotten a little smarter there :rolleyes:.

Randy Gazda
08-10-2010, 9:57 PM
I have been thinking about doing a storage system like that for years. Just can't seem to get it to the top of the list, maybe this will inspire me to "git-r-done"

Nice job.

Reed Gray
08-10-2010, 11:27 PM
For the bird, shop lights confuse them, and if you can turn them all off, and open the door, some times that will do the trick. I should have been born with feathers. Flew a hang glider for 10 years. Hate being a ground hog on primo thermal days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice storage area.

robo hippy

Norm Zax
08-11-2010, 2:08 AM
Great job on maximising the storage area! I looked but couldnt find a thermally insulated drawer for the beers. Bet you forgot that one :)

Thom Sturgill
08-11-2010, 6:19 AM
Nice drawers. I made the mistake of letting my drawers get too shallow, so the side draws are not as usable as I had hoped. I like the way you have the chuck jaws hanging from a side of the drawer. Mine are recessed too, but I still have to blow them out occasionally.
Nice save too.

Barry Elder
08-11-2010, 8:54 AM
Maybe that was a hint for you to make Hummingbird houses!

Sean Hughto
08-11-2010, 9:55 AM
I'm envious. I keep meaning to build one of those, but every time I get in the shop, I end up turning instead!

Nate Davey
08-11-2010, 6:07 PM
Thanks all for the compliments.

Robbo Hippie- I tried turning the light out and gently shooing her out but she was all ready smoked so waited for her to land.

Sean- It took a supreme act of discipline to not turn something instead of doing this, but I really need the storage so I can get to my next project and etc.... Also LOML life wants a few flat projects done for the house, so this was practice on how to do them.

Barry- What size hole does a hummingbird like for it's house, bird houses are on my list of things to do.

Mike McAfee
08-12-2010, 1:44 AM
Cool, another good example of what I need to build under my Nova!

MMc

Paul Douglass
08-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Nice set up. I would have let the bird go also but I would have pondered what a beautiful pen those feathers would have made..... I get birds in my garage all the time. They come in my wood stove pipe and can't get out. I open the stove door and the garage door and thy fly out while I thanking them for keeping my chimney cleaned for me. They are starling and a bother, but I can't hurt them.