PDA

View Full Version : Pineapple Gone Bad

William Hutchinson
08-10-2010, 6:47 PM
This is my second project. I envisioned an upside down pineapple vase with a finial. The form emerged from a maple burl. The cocobolo finials exploded (three times) and I ran out of wood; so I rounded it over and called it finished. During the first batch of photos I suddenly realized that I had fashioned a body part.:eek: I don't like the cocobolo with the maple and I'll try another finial with something else.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Turnings/MapleBurlHF8-10-10.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Turnings/MapleBurlHFa8-10-10.jpg
(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Turnings/MapleBurlHFa8-10-10.jpg)
I think I'm going to stick with copying classical forms for a while.

David DeCristoforo
08-10-2010, 6:56 PM
Reshape the "final" thus:

Just an idea...

Michael James
08-10-2010, 6:57 PM
It's what we in the psychobabble world call Freudian! Glad you got your "aha" moment.:cool:
No charge,
mj

Richard Madden
08-10-2010, 7:11 PM
I think David's idea is good, but if you don't like the cocobolo, save it for another and try a different wood. That grain in the vessel is awsome! Very nice work.:cool:

David E Keller
08-10-2010, 7:46 PM
Is this one of those personality tests where you look at something and then tell the tester what you see? No? Good.:rolleyes:

That's a beautiful piece of maple burl, but I'm not crazy about the nipple...er... uh... top. Also, I like the nature photo, but it obscures the bottom of the form. If you rework the top, I'd love to see a photo of the whole things sans greenery.

John Keeton
08-10-2010, 8:13 PM
William, I assume you dyed the form - that is just an awesome piece of wood!!!!!! From what I can see of the form, it looks very good, as well.

Personally, a black finial is the only thing that would work for me on this piece. I have never tried to turn a finial from coco, but I would think it would do OK. But, the color just isn't right for this piece.

charlie knighton
08-10-2010, 8:27 PM
very nice, sure is shiny

Mike Minto
08-10-2010, 9:06 PM
you guys are sick. it's wood - and very nicely figured wood, i must way. (and by 'wood', i mean, 'wood').

John Hart
08-10-2010, 9:34 PM
You seem to have your form down nicely William. Too bad about the finial trouble...but life goes on eh?

Beautiful piece. In addition to seeing a pic of the whole form...can you provide dimensions?

Jim Gobel
08-10-2010, 10:40 PM
You seem to have your form down nicely William. Too bad about the finial trouble...but life goes on eh?

Beautiful piece. In addition to seeing a pic of the whole form...can you provide dimensions?

I would say its about a 38DD..... Sorry I couldnt resist!

I looked at the photos before reading all of the post and thought hey...wait a minute...it looks like a...

Great looking piece though...any way you see it.

JNG

Joe Shinall
08-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Nice Cocoboob...i mean uhh....

Nice execution, looks great.

Aaron Wingert
08-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Is it that cold where you're at? :rolleyes:

I love the maple form. The finish is simply awesome. If you don't mind, what did you do to get that color? Dye?

I agree with Keeton that the "top" ought to be blackened wood or ebony if you're going to use one. The grain and color of the cocobolo doesn't fit with the maple. In my opinion it would be even cooler if it were an open top with a nice clean opening.

Only other thing I'd suggest would be to photograph it with a solid background. The leaves in the picture obstruct some of the form and are a bit distracting. A black or white background would really show it off nicely.

Great piece.

Norm Zax
08-11-2010, 2:05 AM
The wood is awesome and nicely done. Id rather have the finial more pink in hue...

William Hutchinson
08-11-2010, 6:20 AM
Is it that cold where you're at? :rolleyes:

I love the maple form. The finish is simply awesome. If you don't mind, what did you do to get that color? Dye?

Great piece.

The maple was sanded to 600g to partially seal the wood pores. The color was achieved with yellow , followed by a dark oak TransTint/DNA dye sanded back, then orange WB dye sealed with amber shellac and finished with lacquer.

Chris Colman
08-11-2010, 1:58 PM
Beautiful piece of wood! Wonderful figures.

Cocobolo can be tricky to turn. Sharp tools, light cuts. But it can be made into VERY sharp and defined features. My favorite wood to work.

David DeCristoforo
08-11-2010, 2:03 PM
Option #2: Take the "finial" off and give it the "heave ho" (or keep it to play with).

Josh Bowman
08-11-2010, 4:35 PM
That is absolutely beautiful wood. +1 on changing the top.....it's got a bit of a passey look to it.:o Nice wood though on the top, just needs another shape for my taste.

Karl Card
08-11-2010, 11:51 PM
oh my.... that is pretty but I could of sworn i saw one of those in a national geographic... or was that two...

William Hutchinson
08-13-2010, 6:22 PM
Reshape the "final" thus:

Just an idea...

Good suggestion and here's the cosmetic surgery with some black dye---

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Turnings/Maple-Burl--HFd-8-10-10.gif