PDA

View Full Version : To David Keller

John Hart
08-10-2010, 4:39 PM
Dear Sir,

With regard to our challenge...I issue a warning.

The "Twin Cherries" that we are attacking in our challenge, may be problematic. Today, I decided on how I wanted to cut the blank and got it turned into a cylinder. I used a skew so I could see everything on a smooth surface. (That helps me think about my next step...the profile)

Anyway...the figure in this is pretty dazzling, but I noticed a slight separation in one of the rings that may cause some trouble.
In the second picture you can see the separation at the 12 o'clock position.

It's not terrible...but I fear you might experience the same thing.

I ended up squirting a bunch of CA in the crack...although, it really wasn't deep enough to soak up the CA. Then I doused it with lacquer, because.....um.....because....I thought....uh.....
...well anyway...I doused it with lacquer.

So I'm gonna let it sit while I think about what shape I want. Just wanted to warn ya.

Steve Schlumpf
08-10-2010, 5:01 PM
Wow - that is some pretty wood! Looking forward to seeing whats you does with it!

Roger Chandler
08-10-2010, 5:04 PM
John & David,

That piece of wood has some really nice potential.......can't wait to see your skill and creativity bring it out! :)

Pete Jordan
08-10-2010, 5:14 PM
Shinny totem pole?

John Hart
08-10-2010, 5:33 PM
Pete...what is it with the Totem Pole thing?:D

I couldn't carve anything if my life depended on it....Sheesh...I can barely turn!!!

hmmm. Maybe I can take all the broken stuff and stack it up, and let all abstract crazies try to figure out what my totem pole is trying to say.;)

yeah guys and gals...this wood is quite entertaining as you slowly rotate it around and think of possibilities.

I still don't know what I want to do.

it'll come to me...:rolleyes:

Mark Cothren
08-10-2010, 5:41 PM
it'll come to me...:rolleyes:

Just keep sprayin' the lacquer... I'm sure it will come to you.

David E Keller
08-10-2010, 5:43 PM
Thanks for the warning. If my impressions of you are accurate, you probably sent me the good piece and kept the defective one for yourself... However, since I couldn't be sure of your intentions, several of the pieces I sent you are booby trapped.:eek::cool:

The wood looks amazing, but I do have questions. How many times do you apply lacquer during the turning process? What are the adhesive properties of lacquer? :D

John Hart
08-10-2010, 5:52 PM
... but I do have questions. How many times do you apply lacquer during the turning process? What are the adhesive properties of lacquer? :D

I don't know how many times I apply it during turning. I just put lacquer in a Wagner power painter and put in on an intermittant timer...It just sprays when it wants to. I've never actually counted. Sorry.:o

The adhesive properties? It's sticky. In fact...It's MONSTER STICKY!! Boo!!:D

Pete Jordan
08-10-2010, 6:50 PM
I thought maybe you wanted to move on from you "Larryboy" period.

John Hart
08-10-2010, 7:15 PM
The VeggieTales Larry Boy?:eek:

Why...I just don't know what to say Pete!:D

Pete Jordan
08-10-2010, 7:43 PM
The VeggieTales Larry Boy?:eek:

Why...I just don't know what to say Pete!:D

How soon they forget.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=70091&highlight=larry

John Hart
08-10-2010, 8:32 PM
:D:D:D
Sheesh!!! Yup...I forgot all about that. Geez man..that was almost 3 years ago. I'm lucky to remember yesterday.:o

Good times. Thanks Pete...I needed that. :)