PDA

View Full Version : Which bigger is better jointer or bandsaw???

Bill Sanson
08-10-2010, 4:27 PM
Hi Folks I am looking for advice for an upcoming purchase that the SO has surprisingly offered 2 weeks prior to our first being born!
My bandsaw needs replacing (have a 12inch crapsman) and I was primed to buy the new G0513P 17" beast from Grizzly being polar i figured that it would be fitting up here in Canada:) and is on sale which helps. I then got to thinking would it be better to buy the smaller 14" and purchase the 8" jointer and sell off my General 6" jointer? So I guess my question would be is it better to have a bigger Jointer or Bandsaw? I am new to woodworking ish and just finished a crib and am doing a dresser (frantically now). I forsee myself in the future doing the same type projects as well as some Maloof inspired rockers. I try to buy mostly rough board if that has much in the decision. I am not sure if i can pull off the double purchase but was looking for some advice
THANKS! ( ps I can post some pics of the crib if there is interest, feel i should give something back and stop lurking:confused:

Paul McGaha
08-10-2010, 5:21 PM
Hi Bill,

Welcome to Sawmill Creek. Congratulations on about to be a dad. Please post pictures of your crib.

As for as your bandsaw and jointer question I think you would be the best judge of which tools you need. Personally I have a band saw that I hardly ever use and I have a jointer that gets used on every project. It depends on what you do.

PHM

Will Overton
08-10-2010, 5:31 PM
One of your questions is easy to answer ... do post pictures of the crib. It's even ok if it's occupied.

As far as the tools go, that's tougher. Which tool has left you wanting? That's the one to replace first.

I have a 6" jointer and a 14" bandsaw. They both meet my needs. My jointer can face joint the maximum board I can resaw. Any glued up panels get run through the 16-32 drum sander. The sander is a relatively recent purchase, and (for me) is more valuable than a bigger bandsaw or jointer.

Think about your upcoming projects before you decide. Unless you are going to build my projects, it doesn't matter what I would do. ;)

george wilson
08-10-2010, 5:35 PM
I'd go for bigger bandsaw,but I made mostly guitars,not furniture. It really depends upon WHAT you are making. I've never needed larger than an 8" jointer,and had a 6" for most of my life,and a 14" old Delta bandsaw. now,I'm restoring an old 20" Delta bandsaw,which is my favorite bandsaw model.

Dan Karachio
08-10-2010, 5:36 PM
Hi Bill. Oh, what a dilema! Do you use your bandsaw much? Is it fun? Do you enjoy it and wish for more? If resawing and curves are part of your work, let me tell you, upgrading to a nicer saw is going to rock your world in a good way (though not as much as a baby). If you are going to be making chairs, then I don't see how you can get away without a nice bandsaw. Speaking as someone who recently went from an old clunker 12" to a nice new Rikon 14" with 13" resaw, life is pretty darn good right now in the shop. However, that saw is the same $ as that 17" Grizzly saws, so that is the one to get these days for that much $. Still, I absolutely love it. I also have a 6" jointer and I rarely find myself fawning over the jointer. If I have wider boards I pull out a different jointer - a Lee Valley bevel up! A power jointer is a great tool, but it is a one trick pony (okay two or three). Meanwhile, a good quality bandsaw is an amazingly versatile tool. Beyond resawing and curves, ripping on my bandsaw is great. It is so fast, I can't believe it. Oak, maple, like butter. Makes the table saw look slow in comparison. I get a very nice edge I can clean up on the jointer or the hand plane.

Karl Card
08-10-2010, 5:41 PM
personally id go with the 17 inch grizzly bs.. think about it on a 6 inch jointer you should still be able to do an 11 inch wide board, but you have to ask yourself how often do you need an 11 inch board... maybe you do, maybe you dont...

I have a 14 inch bs and I am so drooling over that grizzly 17.. you just cant beat it for the money personally..

Gary Radice
08-10-2010, 7:03 PM
Based on what you've written, here's how I would look at it:

Always get the biggest/best made machine you can afford.
You already have a nice jointer, but you don't have a nice bandsaw, and you will need a capable one for curvy rocking chairs parts and resawing.
Get the 17" bandsaw, some good blades, and tune it up right. You won't be sorry.

You haven't said that you need a bigger jointer, yet. If you find that need a bigger jointer later, sell your 6" then and upgrade.

One other thought: with a new baby imminent, you might not have much time for woodworking. You might look around for used machines before you jump at a new one.

Van Huskey
08-10-2010, 7:41 PM
For me and my work I would rather have a 8" jointer and 14" bandsaw. The key is only you can decide what will work best for you. Here is another thing to consider, if someone has room I think having 2 bandsaws is GREAT, a larger one for resawing and a smaller one for contour cutting. IF you are even considering this upgrade path the 14" saw would stay with you even after you get a bigger BS and the 8" jointer would likely serve you for a very long time as well. If you really get into resawing the 513P will likely have you wanting a bigger wheeled saw after a while, but the 14" has advantages over many bigger saws for curves.

Jon van der Linden
08-10-2010, 8:21 PM
Going from 6" to 8" on the jointer isn't a huge difference. I'd go for the larger bandsaw, the size there will open up a lot of possibilities.

Bill Sanson
08-10-2010, 8:28 PM
Thanks guys, most of you solidified my decision on the bandsaw. Although I find the smaller jointer a pain at times I REALLY have my eyes set on the BS and at the sale price I would be doing myself and Grizzly a diservice to not buy one;) I think down the road I will definitly upgrade the jointer but for now the old BS needs to go to a better place. I like the idea of 2 bandsaws however I got a smaller shop and being in the service I dont know what my next one may be.

I have attached a few pics of the crib. This is my second project first being a grand bookcase and this one I made from rough cherry so it was a steep learning curve from dressing wood to Mortise and Tenons to finishing. Please feel free to be as hard me as you want I find I learn the most from this form (and being a Naval Officer I am used to abuse:) I finished it with Tried and True Oil/Varnish 3 coats and 2 coats T&T oil/wax.
Cheers,

Bill Sanson
08-10-2010, 8:31 PM
And thanks for all the well wishes, he was supposed to come on the sixth of Sept but now its been changed to 24th aug!! so its pretty exciting around here and I am working my butt off to finish the Arts and Crafts dresser I am building for him. needless to say I am getting my shop time in...

Will Overton
08-10-2010, 9:19 PM
Very nice job on the crib. I like the walls too. :cool:

Andrew Nemeth
08-10-2010, 9:52 PM
If you have twins do you get two new toys to play with?

glenn bradley
08-10-2010, 10:40 PM
This will of course depend on what you do and how you do it. The move to an 8" jointer was a godsend for me. I did make due with a planer sled and my planer for quite awhile after selling my 6" jointer that I only used a few months as it was inadequate 90% of the time (for me).

I went from a 12" C-man BS to the G0513X and this was also a wonderful thing. What wasn't wonderful was that I immediately sold my 12" only to buy a used 10" a couple months later when I realized I should have kept the smaller saw. I haven't missed the smaller jointer at all ;-)

HTH

Brian Penning
08-11-2010, 5:18 AM
Going from 6" to 8" on the jointer isn't a huge difference. I'd go for the larger bandsaw, the size there will open up a lot of possibilities.

I beg to differ on that one. I've found quite a big difference since going from a 6 to 8" jointer.
My vote is get the jointer.

Rod Sheridan
08-11-2010, 8:30 AM
Hi, I went from an 8 inch jointer and 13?" planer (General) to a 12" jointer/planer (Hammer A3-31).

I also upgraded band saws from a 14" to a 17" about 6 years ago.

The jointer upgrade was far more useful to me than the band saw upgrade, since my wife is the main band saw user.

With a 50% larger jointer I don't have to rip boards to width, and the jointer is wide enough that I can skew the board if the grain is wild.

The smaller planer is no problem as I only plane jointed material, so I finally have a matched pair of jointer/planer.

You'll probably see the biggest difference in the band saw in your case, since you're starting out so low on the scale with your present machine.

Whether you'll get good use out of the new machine depends upon how much you use it, and what you use it for.

If all you do is cut curves in the 1 to 2" thick range on rare occasions, you may not use the upgrade.

My wife uses the band saw to rough out turning blanks, she could get the accuracy she needs with a chain saw and splitting wedges.

When I use the band saw I'm re-sawing, making veneer, or making lumber from short logs, completely different requirements.

Regards, Rod.

Bill Sanson
08-11-2010, 8:36 PM
Rod,

Those are very good points you bring up and I think in the future what you are saying makes sense and is what I will go for. I also think you are right when you say that I will see the biggest difference in bandsaws. I eventually may start turning and can't even resaw on the bandsaw i got now so I am thinking that the bandsaw is the way to go.
How do you find sawing the logs on the bandsaw? I would like to do that as wood very expensive here for some reason, I take it you use a sled of some sort?
Bill

Myk Rian
08-12-2010, 7:29 AM
Why would you buy a Grizzly when General makes tools, in Canada?
I never let my money leave my country, if I can help it.

Scot Ferraro
08-12-2010, 3:30 PM
Hi Bill,

As others mentioned, it depends on your work. Personally I think that a wider jointer is more important than a bigger bandsaw...being able to surface wider lumber is so beneficial. With that said, I bigger bandsaw is useful too and I think that a step up to a 14 inch or a 17 inch is going to be a huge difference to what you are currently using. a 14 inch machine is useful to many folks for all of their bandsaw needs and since one option was to get a bigger jointer and smaller bandaw that would be what I would do. You can then see if the 14 inch machine works for you and either sell it later to get a larger machine or buy a larger machine to supplement the 14 inch machine when you are ready. Like Rod, I opted for the 12 inch J/P and I would never look back at getting anything smaller in a jointer.

Scot

Rod Sheridan
08-12-2010, 3:53 PM
Why would you buy a Grizzly when General makes tools, in Canada?
I never let my money leave my country, if I can help it.

Myk, I agree with you and used to own a shop full of General equipment.

The 15" General bandsaw with 12" of resaw height is on sale for $3,400 at present, regular price $4,200.

For a person starting out, that's a big step.

Regards, Rod.

Rod Sheridan
08-12-2010, 3:56 PM
Rod,

How do you find sawing the logs on the bandsaw? I would like to do that as wood very expensive here for some reason, I take it you use a sled of some sort?
Bill

Yes I use a sled and only cut logs in the 2 to 4 foot length, mostly fruit tree material.

I've included a link to a video showing the sled in use.

http://www.feldergroupusa.com/us-us/video/hammer-n4400.html?videosgruppen_id=0

P.S. The Hammer N4400 is a bargain, 4 HP to boot.
Regards, Rod.

Mike Cruz
08-13-2010, 8:26 AM
Bill, I think the answer to your question lies in what you will use the bandsaw for. IF you plan to do a lot of resawing but little curvy cut work, then you might get more use out of a bigger BS and ride out the 6" jointer. But, if you do/will do little resawing and more curvey work, then a 14" BS will likely do you just fine. The difference, usually, between a 17" and a 14" inch BS are two simple things: about 3" of space between the blade and the arm (or whatever you call the metal to the left of the blade), and the cut height capacity. If both BS's are 12" cut height capacity (resaw height), then the added 3" of width capacity becomes less "worth it". But, if the resaw capacity of the 14" is only 6", then there is the question you really have to answer...will you need a BS with larger than 6" capacity?

As for upgrading the jointer, moving to an 8" usually gives you two major differences: wider boarder capacity (duh) but also longer infeed/outfeed tables. This can be a blessing and a curse. Blessing in accuracy and comfort, but curse if you have limited space.

You also mentioned that you will be making a cabinet or dresser or something...? A wider jointer will likely be of more use for that project than a 17 vs 14" BS.

Oh, and btw, very nice crib!

Bill Sanson
08-13-2010, 8:24 PM
those are all good points. I have to say that I am still very torn but I think I am leaning towards the BS. I was to get into resawing more effectively and even though small the jointer does the job as of now and I can glue up panels if I have to, I can use the practice:) I think what I would love to do is get the bs and then at some point buy myself a forever jointer/planer of substantial size that I will never be left wanting (haha). Thats what I am trying to do with the BS, something that will be the last I will need to buy, not to say that i wont want to buy a new one down the road.

Bill Sanson
08-14-2010, 4:40 PM
Well, I am going with the BS, my craftsman drove me nuts today so the decision is made and I think I can make due with my jointer for now and it seems there are more of them used around here than there are BSs. So my final question to you guys is, is the G0513P with the base, 2 timberwolf blades, resaw fence and the light better to buy then the X2 with a base? Most people seem to think that the X2 is the one to get, but it still would be 50 bucks more plus the extra for shipping. I think i could get by with the 0513P but I want a saw that will leave me not wanting. thoughts?????

Matt Logana
08-14-2010, 9:48 PM
Well, I am going with the BS, my craftsman drove me nuts today so the decision is made and I think I can make due with my jointer for now and it seems there are more of them used around here than there are BSs. So my final question to you guys is, is the G0513P with the base, 2 timberwolf blades, resaw fence and the light better to buy then the X2 with a base? Most people seem to think that the X2 is the one to get, but it still would be 50 bucks more plus the extra for shipping. I think i could get by with the 0513P but I want a saw that will leave me not wanting. thoughts?????

With the X2 you get Cast Iron trunions, whereas I would wager the Non-X2 is merely steel alloy.

Mate, thats a whole lot more than $50... try a "1" infront of that....

But its probably more accurate. Just speculating.. poor old me is still stuck with a 14"...

Dan Karachio
08-15-2010, 5:10 AM
Slightly off topic, but I wish General was a little easier to purchase in the US. Woodcraft used to sell them, has them on their website, but never in the store any more - except the one in Delaware has a General bandsaw on the floor (17" I think)! Except for the Powermatic 18" nearby, it really dwarfs the smaller Powermatic and Rikon and says quite clearly, "I am a beast." I have their jointer (alas, only 6", but it takes care of me) and it is a workhorse and it's mass and quality seem to exceed other 6" jointers I have seen. Their customer service was fantastic the one time I called (needed blades).

Bill Sanson
08-15-2010, 9:58 AM
Dan,

General is easier to get here in my part of Canada but we do not have access to any other higher end machines and generals are expensive. If it were a bit cheaper I would definitely buy them but alas it is cheaper for me to order a BS from the US and that includes shipping, not sure how that makes sense.

I too have the 6" General and it is great. It shows its quality but I do find that I should have listened to people here and got a 8". However I have no complaints with the 6 and will replace just as soon as I win that lottery that I plan to win:confused:

Mark Woodmark
08-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys, most of you solidified my decision on the bandsaw. Although I find the smaller jointer a pain at times I REALLY have my eyes set on the BS and at the sale price I would be doing myself and Grizzly a diservice to not buy one;) I think down the road I will definitly upgrade the jointer but for now the old BS needs to go to a better place. I like the idea of 2 bandsaws however I got a smaller shop and being in the service I dont know what my next one may be.

I have attached a few pics of the crib. This is my second project first being a grand bookcase and this one I made from rough cherry so it was a steep learning curve from dressing wood to Mortise and Tenons to finishing. Please feel free to be as hard me as you want I find I learn the most from this form (and being a Naval Officer I am used to abuse:) I finished it with Tried and True Oil/Varnish 3 coats and 2 coats T&T oil/wax.
Cheers,

Nice Crib and congrats on the new addition to your family. I would opt for the BS. On the jointer, 8 inches isnt that much more than 6. I would consider the jointer if the bed was significantly longer

Van Huskey
08-15-2010, 8:05 PM
With the X2 you get cast trunnions, cast wheels, better guides and a larger table, well worth the cost of admission! For me bandsaws are like drill presses they should NOT be on mobile bases unless ABSOLUTELY required. I prefer Lenox bands over TW bands by a large margin, you can probably find them at a local industrial supply cheaper then ordering TW bands, I don't know if the usual mail order Lenox suppliers in the US ship up to Canada. You could try Spectrum Supply.