PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum system types

Roger Chandler
08-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a venturi system such as the hold fast, versus a vacuum pump system.

I already have a compressor, and a hold fast system would be cheaper and faster, but would it do the same as safely as a vacuum pump system?

I would appreciate some feedback, and I am ready to pull the trigger on getting a system. I was ready to order from JT Turning tools yesterday, but the supplier for the pumps had a shipment stolen, and they won't be available for several months. :eek::(

Thom Sturgill
08-10-2010, 1:38 PM
I bought a holdfast and it did everything I asked of it, but I used a pancake compressor that was located in the bottom of the lathe cabinet. It was too loud:eek:.

When I upgraded, I put the new lathe in the house (actually a finished patio). The compressor would be too noisy to run in the house, so I left it in the existing shop. The system I built was cheaper than the holdfast. and much quieter than the compressor. I used a compressor bought off ebay for about $70. The rest of the parts probably cost about $30 except the adapter. JT Turningtools sells a new vacuum pump that includes a gauge, filter and bleed valve for under $200.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-10-2010, 1:40 PM
Advantages, a ventury system is quite low cost compared to a regular vacuum pump system.
it is quick and can displace a lot of air and get a pretty high vacuum, not affected much by dust and dirt particles.

Disadvantages, quite noisy and it needs a lot of air/large compressor running continuously if it is a larger than minimal size system
also a good choice if there is a need for non electrical (spark) system, like in combustible liquid displacement.

Roger Chandler
08-10-2010, 5:02 PM
Advantages, a ventury system is quite low cost compared to a regular vacuum pump system.
it is quick and can displace a lot of air and get a pretty high vacuum, not affected much by dust and dirt particles.

Disadvantages, quite noisy and it needs a lot of air/large compressor running continuously if it is a larger than minimal size system
also a good choice if there is a need for non electrical (spark) system, like in combustible liquid displacement.

Thanks Leo,

The new vacuum generator on this newest generation of Hold fast is not bad at all on air consumption, and with a larger size compressor, it won't be much noise, I don't think.

Because the supplier of the pumps had his shipment stolen, I decided on the Hold Fast, and should get it in a couple of days. It will be much easier for me to set up an faster also, so I think it will handle most of what I would want to use it for with no problems.

Thanks for the information you gave on advantages, etc, it helped confirm to me what I should do, as well as my conversations with a couple of folks who really knew a lot about this subject as well.