PDA

View Full Version : Chuck choices

Mark Woodmark
08-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Which of the two attached chucks would you recommend and why? Both handle the size stuff I will do with it

http://www.amazon.com/TEKNATOOL-SUPERNOVA-CHUCK-WOODWORM-SUPERNOVA2/dp/B0037M8KI2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1281450836&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-CSC3000C-Barracuda-System/dp/B000KIACTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1281450916&sr=1-1

Alan Trout
08-10-2010, 10:57 AM
No question, I would go with the Super Nova II. It has a much wider range of jaws It will work on many lathes because it has a insert rather than a direct threaded body like the PSI chuck. So if you go from a smaller lathe with a 1x8 thread and you got to a bigger lathe with a 1 1/4" x 8 thread all you do is change the insert. Also what is nice about the Nova line of chucks is all the jaws interchange which if you ever get another Nova chuck such as a G3, Midi, etc. the jaws will all fit between them.

Good Luck

Alan

Roger Chandler
08-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Alan has it correct! The SuperNova Chuck is a quality chuck with many available accessories............a wood turning standard in the industry!

Joshua Dinerstein
08-10-2010, 11:16 AM
I have both of these chucks. I used to use the PSI every day. It works well. Now I never ever use that chuck. Why?

Because I upgraded my lathe and I got one that has a 1 1/4" spindle. The chuck won't fit on it and the run out introduced by the spindle adapters is just not something that I want to put up with.

Having gone a similar route I would totally and without reservation say get the SN2 and not the PSI. So a +1 for Alan's comment directly from my own experience.

Joshua

Mark Woodmark
08-10-2010, 11:21 AM
If I went with the Super Nova 2, What insert would I have to buy to make it fit a Nova DVR XP?

Mark Cothren
08-10-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm a SN2 fan... I have three of them. I've not used the PSI, so can't speak to it.

Alan Trout
08-10-2010, 11:37 AM
1 1/4" x 8 is what you need. Be sure to get the one with the grub screw from running the lathe in reverse.

good Luck

Alan

Reed Gray
08-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I use the Vicmark chucks, but any of the top 3 are good, the Technatool (Nova), Oneway, and the Vicmark. All have inserts so you can change lathes. All have multiple jaw sets, but I prefer a chuck for each set of jaws rather than changing them.

robo hippy

Ken Glass
08-10-2010, 12:40 PM
another vote for SN2...

David DeCristoforo
08-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I asked a similar question not too long ago. I ended up with the SN2 and I have been really happy with it. It's the only one I have and the only one I have ever used so my experience is limited. But I cannot imagine there being a "better" piece of hardware...

Michael Mills
08-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Another + for the SN2. Make sure to get the Nova insert. The generic inserts sold by some woodworking stores are not long enough to seat properly and cause run-out.
Hate to throw in a new wrinkle but…also ask about the Nova G3… I have one of those also. Only brought it up because if you search G3 on ebay someone has them for $115 including insert and shipping.

I really can’t tell a difference using them but I know the SN2 is heavier duty.
For the power-grip jaws you will have to have the SN2 but I believe all others are rated for the G3 or SN2.
Mike

Allen Neighbors
08-10-2010, 12:59 PM
SN2, by all means! All Nova jaws are interchangeable, except the Titan Power Grip jaws. No other manufacturer has made such provision.
I have two SN2s, the Titan, and one G3. I have 5 sets of jaws. Can't think of anything I need now, except maybe a couple of more SN2s!! :D

Kyle Iwamoto
08-10-2010, 1:07 PM
What size lathe? I have a SN2 and a G3. Both are good chucks. If you have a smaller lathe, the G3 may be a better choice, and you can use those few dollars on something else. As mentioned you can get one for 115 bucks with insert. I have not used a PSI chuck, but the Novas are great chucks for the money. I also have a Midi chuck which is okay, but only 1x8 threads.

Thom Sturgill
08-10-2010, 1:30 PM
Buy the Nova if you cannot afford Vicmarc.
I have two PSIs and two G3s. One PSI has their dovetail jaws and they are acceptable. I rarely use them unless I need either the large diameter jaws or the pin jaws, but NEVER with the standard #2 jaws. I bought them for a Jet 1220 and bought a spindle adapter when I bought a Jet 1642. The PSI adapter is solid so none of my vacuum chucks would work with it. Both G3s have the 1 1/4" adapter and the #2 jaws. I suspect that if I buy other jaws for them, I will stop using the PSIs and sell one of them.

David E Keller
08-10-2010, 1:39 PM
Not trying to muddy the waters, but I would like to introduce another option. The grizzly chuck is less than a hundred bucks, and I've had great luck with the one I purchased recently. I've also got a talon which is a nice chuck, but a bit more expensive. The grizzly is a vicmarc clone for less than half the price. The safe bet is to stay with one of the big three, but I know several people on here that use the grizzly chuck and are happy(Bernie is one I believe).

Leo Van Der Loo
08-10-2010, 1:50 PM
I'll muddy it some more ;-)), get the Oneway Talon chuck, I wouldn't be without them :D