PDA

View Full Version : Mortiser Wanted

Jim Robinson
12-09-2004, 3:23 PM
I'm looking for a bench top mortiser. My research indicates that the Shop Fox or the Fisch appear to be the best for the money.
1. What's your opinion?
2. I'd really like to find a refurbished or used-but-not-abused one.
I'm located in the Nashville, TN area.

Karl Laustrup
12-09-2004, 5:31 PM
If you have a Woodcraft store near you, you might want to check out the Delta sale tomorrow. 10% off all Delta tools including a mortiser which is already on sale. Reg. price $269.99; sale price $239.99; tomorrow [12/11] $215.99. I've been holding off, but I think I'm going to get this one.

Karl

Glenn Clabo
12-09-2004, 5:45 PM
Think about the Delta...I just bored 40-50 square holes with one and I can say it was great. When I was picking here are the things that made me buy..
The table redesign is much more stable. Weighs >10lbs more.
It comes with a 2 inch risor.
It comes with 4 pretty decent bits. Never found any bad ones.
Gas-filled head stabilizer... seems more solid.
The fence...
Overall machining and solidness...just felt better.

Steve Roxberg
12-09-2004, 11:00 PM
I have one extra $50 rebate coupon on the Delta 14.651 that I would be willing to part with. It came in an X5 booklet.

I've been told I can use it, and also been told that only the original purchaser of the x5 equipment can use it, don't know which statement is true. The coupon/rebate form makes no mention of previous purchase, makes no mention of nontransferable, so it's worth a try.

For me that makes the Delta on Saturday $215 plus tax, minus fifty or roughly $180.

Can't pass that up

Curt Harms
12-10-2004, 5:49 AM
I assume You know about these guys?
http://www.generalindustrialsupp.com.

HTH

Curt

Jim Robinson
12-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Yep, General Industrial is a great place to buy power tools. That's where I bought most of mine. For example: I got the 10" JET contractor saw with a 55 inch table and cast iron wings for only $600. Great thing is, they're located only about 5 miles from where I work.

http://www.generalindustrialsupp.com/

Their price for their Jet benchtop mortiser (scratch & dent special) is $182. Problem is, they don't have any in stock (scratch & dent, that is) and don't know when they will get any.

Otherwise I like the features of the Shop Fox & Fisch. Both have 3/4 HP motors and both have dual pedestals. Plus the Shop Fox has a 2 year warranty and the head will rotate so you can mortise in the end of stock and not just into the sides.

These are the reasons why I lean toward either of these.

Also, I may still take up the offer of the coupon. Sounds like a good deal on the Delta using the coupon along with the sale price. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Roy Wall
12-28-2004, 10:24 PM
Jim,

Did you ever get the Shop Fox...........?

I'm going to be in Springfield, MO - Friday Afternoon and I may just pick one up and bring it home;)

Would appreciate any advise...

Thanks,

Roy