PDA

View Full Version : oooh it's so good... shop time

Jon Lanier
08-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I actually got some decent time in the shop today. Did a few pendants and was able to rough out this Cherry Burl. If I do it right, I think this just might be my best 'bowl' ever. Currently soaking in the DNA.

David E Keller
08-09-2010, 11:11 PM
WOW! That's a gorgeous piece of wood!

I noticed some lines along the rim in the last photo... Those aren't cracks are they?:eek: If so, I'd consider trimming off enough of the height of the bowl to get rid of them.

I can't wait to see that finished!

Roger Chandler
08-09-2010, 11:14 PM
That is a really pretty piece of wood! I agree with David, turn off the cracks before it is too late!

Cathy Schaewe
08-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Wow! Gorgeous!! Good luck.

BTW, I have NOT had good luck with cherry in DNA - you may want to take extra precautions when you take it out. Then again, maybe because it's burl it won't crack so bad.

Bernie Weishapl
08-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Beautiful wood Jon. Great to see ya back turning.

Steve Schlumpf
08-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Congrats on the shop time Jon! Beautiful bowl! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Aaron Wingert
08-10-2010, 12:58 AM
Now we have to wait months and months to see that beauty all finished up. :( Heck of a nice rough-out, that is for sure.

Jon Lanier
08-10-2010, 1:16 AM
Now we have to wait months and months to see that beauty all finished up. :( Heck of a nice rough-out, that is for sure.

Aaron, I was just so excited to actually be in the shop. I needed to share! I do have a HF that has been bagged from the same burl that might get to come out and play in a few weeks. :rolleyes:

John Keeton
08-10-2010, 6:58 AM
Jon, no doubt that is one gorgeous piece of wood!! It does look like it may have a tendency to crack on the rim, so good luck with it. Hope it survives as it would make a great finished bowl.

John Hart
08-10-2010, 7:01 AM
Congratulations on the Shop Time Jon. I know how you feel.:)

Ken Glass
08-10-2010, 8:21 AM
Jon,
I can't wait to see this bowl finished. That has wonderful burl in it and it will be a great piece, I am sure. it is good to get some real shop time in. I have been struggling to do the same thing and hope to increase my time in the shop as well. Thanks for sharing.