PDA

View Full Version : burl table opinion

curtis rosche
08-09-2010, 10:29 PM
how should i finish the edges on this burl table? it is 2.5 inches thick. it is maple burl, some is spaulted, some had holes, there are inclusions and all. i was goning to leave a natural edge, but i cant do that the whole way around. i was thinking maybe just sand the edges smooth. any ideas?

i know this probably isnt the right forum, but i wasnt sure where to put it

there are some better pics, but i cant get them to upload right now, and im to tired to fuss with it

Mike Cruz
08-10-2010, 2:17 PM
Yeah, Curtis, I would put this (or start a new one) in General...you'll likely get a lot more exposure there.

As for the edges...hmmmmm. I think wherever you can't leave it natural, you might want to sand (say, with a belt sander) the edges to that they look like they would if they weren't a burly spot and the bark was removed. So, instead of the edges being perpendicular to the face, they would be on an angle, showing what the radius of the tree would have been. Hope that was clear enough. Good luck.

Jim King
08-10-2010, 2:54 PM
Curtis:
First thing is to make sure the burl is dry enough to work with. Then have it sand blasted to clean up the natural edge and the punky spots.

Then carve any edges that do not appear natural to match the natural edges.

Then make a not very thick paste from fiberglass resin and a contrasting sawdust that will flow to the level of the table top.
Sand and finish, it will be beautiful.

Here is a photo of one side of an old desk that I brought from the warehouse that I am going to clean up and refill the termite holes as mentioned. The dark areas are fiberglass resin and sawdust.

curtis rosche
08-16-2010, 11:20 PM
What wood should be used for legs? It's spaulted maple Burl. Also. How do I make sure all ants and bugs that called it home are now dead?

Mike Cruz
08-17-2010, 7:25 AM
Soak it in poly, that oughtta kill 'em. :D

lawrence dosson
08-17-2010, 1:26 PM
Curtis
as said sand blasting it is a real good way some times i do that .
a little hand held sand blaster will work [ i have a good one but cheap copies are avalible from HF]
but if that is not posible wire brush on a angle grinder or drill will work not to bad .
what i do to the cut ends is use a course wood rasp courser the better
then i get it the right color and use epoxy and wood dust to fill unwanted holes.
REMEMPER this you can not stain or dye epoxy so do not get it were you do not want it
bugs some times a problem with raw wood if you can heat the wood and hold it at 130 or so for a cupple hr.s you will kill all the bugs
most generaly i find if it is good and dry if you just have bark beetles they will be gone but leave behind all those holes,,,
powder post beattles on the other hand you need heat good luck
Lawrence