PDA

View Full Version : The Old Bag

Curt Fuller
08-09-2010, 8:00 PM
A year or so ago my mom gave me an old sewing or knitting bag that had been her mothers. The frame that held it was just made from thin dowels and was all broken with a couple pieces broken. She wanted me to see if I could fix it, so I took it home and ended up stashing it away and forgetting about it. Then the other day I was at my mom's house and she was knitting something and she had her stuff in a 5 gallon bucket. I made some smart remark about the bucket and she reminded me that I had her bag and was supposed to fix it. So I was kind of embarrassed and ashamed that I had forgotten all about it. So I spent most of the weekend making a new frame for it. It's nothing fancy, but a lot nicer and stronger than the original. I don't know how old the bag is but it looks pretty old, might even be antique status. The frame is mahogany with medium walnut watco oil on it. Lousy pic but you get the idea. I haven't turned much artsy stuff so I have to post things like this.

Steve Schlumpf
08-09-2010, 8:07 PM
Curt - that looks great! More important - does Mom like it?

Really nice spindle work - great color and it looks like it belongs!

Nice work Curt! Very well done!

patrick michael stein
08-09-2010, 8:09 PM
curt were you on the tv show wipe out?

patrick

Allen Neighbors
08-09-2010, 8:09 PM
Well, Curt, I'll bet it'll be pretty arty to your Mom! That's great! Looks like you did a good job on it! She'll be very pleased!!

David Christopher
08-09-2010, 8:12 PM
Curt, it looks good to me, but if mom likes it then alls good in the world

Richard Madden
08-09-2010, 8:22 PM
I think it looks great, like it belongs with the bag. I'm betting your Mother will love it.

David E Keller
08-09-2010, 8:26 PM
Nicely done... Nothing like being shamed into fulfilling an obligation to one's own mother.:o Looks like it was worth the wait.

Matt Ranum
08-09-2010, 8:28 PM
Dont ya just hate it when you forget to do stuff for your Mother. Usually too polite to ever mention it to remind a guy too.:o

Nice job on the refurb!

Andy Hoyt
08-09-2010, 8:29 PM
The result of a weekend spent creating something/anything which will see daily use has far more value (to me, anyway) than any artsy fartsy object, no matter who made it or what was involved in doing so.

That your effort includes an element with provenance places this still higher on any list where value is a factor.

One day down the road, your mom's mom's great granddaughter will come into possession of a true multi-generational heirloom.

Well done, old bean.

John Keeton
08-09-2010, 9:27 PM
Curt, the spindle work has an antique flavor to it - very fitting for the intended purpose!

By the way, what was the deal with the avatar and tuxs?!?!? I was impressed!! Who got married?

Meant to ask, but wasn't quick enough.

Curt Fuller
08-09-2010, 9:57 PM
curt were you on the tv show wipe out?

patrick

Not that I remember. But you and I are probably thinking about a different generation of "Wipe Out". Here's the one from my era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8__EwAT8VM

By the way, what was the deal with the avatar and tuxs?!?!? I was impressed!! Who got married?

John that was a once in a lifetime event for me at my daughter's wedding a few years ago. If you know me, it's rare that I would wear a shirt with a collar let alone a tux or suit. In fact I've threatened my kids that I will come back and haunt them if they bury me in a tie.

Thanks everyone! My Mom like it.

Pete Jordan
08-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Mother sure know how to dig the needle in. Guilt, the final frontier...

John Hart
08-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Nice work Curt. I want one!

How did you do the pivot?

Mark Hubl
08-10-2010, 1:03 PM
Good job. Love to see some spindle work.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-10-2010, 1:13 PM
Curt,

I'm sure Momma Fuller is proud of her son Curt's creation!

Nicely done.

I prefer something that will see daily use over art. That could because I'm art challenged!:o