PDA

View Full Version : Music in the shop

lowell holmes
08-09-2010, 4:55 PM
How many listen to music in the shop. I bet more neanderthals do than do power tool shops. I do both, so I can listen to my boom box.

If you do listen to music, what do you listen to?

I listen to everything from classic to country western. Today, I listened to an Arhoolie album. I'm curious if any of you know what this album is.

It is a 5 cd set my daughter gave me a few years back. There is Zydeco, jazz, folk, religious, folk and more. Chris Strachwitz toured dance halls, beer joints, anywhere he could find music and recorded it. The time span was from 1960 until 2000.

Visualize a period furniture maker in his shop listening to this genre. :)

I bet there is a woodworker out there that listens just to Rolling Stones.

David Christopher
08-09-2010, 5:02 PM
I have XM in the shop, and it is on all the time that im in there

Joe Pelonio
08-09-2010, 5:38 PM
My shop has Cable TV, and an AF/FM Stereo with CD, and also can watch DVDs on either of the two computers. It all depends on my mood and what might be going on. You'd be surprised how much I listed to good old-fashioned AM, sports and some local call-in garden, car repair, and home improvement programs on Saturdays.

As for music it's 80% classic Rock, but I also like blues, jazz, even classical. Just don't come near me with opera.:mad:

Myk Rian
08-09-2010, 5:57 PM
I posted a pic of a saw with the TV on in the background. Got chastised by a couple holier than thou types about distractions in the shop.
Yes, I have the TV or radio on. The TV is behind me when I'm using the machines. Not a distraction at all.

David Weaver
08-09-2010, 6:05 PM
On the weekends, i like to listen to the local talk in the shop. The only power tools that run are a belt sander, grinder or bandsaw, and none of those are on too long.

Our local talk hosts are kind of dumb. That's why I like to listen to them - mangling logic and saying totally ridiculous things where any numbers are involved - and doing other such things that defy any listener's sense.

Jim Koepke
08-09-2010, 6:34 PM
Today, I listened to an Arhoolie album.

I would be surprised to find many that have heard of Arhoolie Records. I used to shop in Down Home Music when we lived in California. I am not sure if they were connected to Arhoolie, but they were in the same building and sold some of the Arhoolie CDs. I have a few of them. Barrel House Blues and other jazz and blues CDs.

I listen to swing, jazz, blues, rock, country, classics and some novelty and alternative, celtic and many others. It is on my wife's iPod and we have an FM transmitter that hooks up to it so we can take it with us and listen on any FM radio.

Most of the time I am either listening to talk radio or NPR for Prairie Home Companion and a few other programs. One of their musicians, Andy Stein used to play with the Commander Cody country/rock band.

jim

Mike Zilis
08-09-2010, 7:22 PM
I've got an iPod Classic connected to an old set of surround speakers with subwoofer. It's packed to the gills with my music from my CD collection. Mostly progressive rock and jazz for me. Growing up I was a trumpet player and drummer so I've got a lot of Maynard Ferguson and Buddy Rich. Usually I just put it on shuffle and each song becomes like a little surprise.

Mike

Dave Gaul
08-10-2010, 8:01 AM
Maynard Ferguson
Mike

I know Maynard!! I played trumpet in HS too, and we managed to have him and his band put on a concert at our school! Sorry, not too often ya hear someone else who knows who he is...

LOML was tired of all the speakers for the 7.1 surround sound in the living room, so I took two of them out to the shop, hooked up to an Onkyo recevier I got used and plugged in my ipod... Listen to mostly Led Zeppelin and Linkin Park....

David Weaver
08-10-2010, 8:21 AM
Maynard is popular in pennsylvania. We played more than one maynard ferguson arrangement in my four years of marching band in high school.

In college, we used to turn up the maynard loud just because it was swanky, and then toward the end of college, he and his band showed up at Bald Eagle HS and played a show. I didn't get to see it, though.

On the subject of what's good for woodworking, seems like Flamenco should be a good thing for HT woodworkers.

John Coloccia
08-10-2010, 8:56 AM
I have an old laptop in the shop that I use to stream radio stations. Usually WABC because that's out of my hometown (NY) and it makes me feel at home. It was the only choice because I get 0 reception in the shop. Now that I do it like this, I would never do it any other way.

Dave Gaul
08-10-2010, 9:19 AM
Maynard is popular in pennsylvania. We played more than one maynard ferguson arrangement in my four years of marching band in high school.

In college, we used to turn up the maynard loud just because it was swanky, and then toward the end of college, he and his band showed up at Bald Eagle HS and played a show. I didn't get to see it, though.

On the subject of what's good for woodworking, seems like Flamenco should be a good thing for HT woodworkers.

Actually, I went to HS in NC... pretty big deal for him to come to our dinky school! (Cape Hatteras High School, I had 42 kids in my grad class!)...

One other thing, when I'm doing hand tool work, like chiseling or planing, and I need to take my time, I turn some more calming music on, like Norah Jones (don't laugh, it helps me stay focused!)...

Mark Patoka
08-10-2010, 9:30 AM
My radio (son's broken boombox) is currently picking up the country station so that's what I listen to. Otherwise my station of choice is classic rock, when I get reception.

At a previous home, I used to have a 13" TV I could watch and didn't find it a distraction as I had my back to it when I would use the power tools.

Mitchell Andrus
08-10-2010, 9:41 AM
50's, 60's, 70's, NPR, iPod with my jazz/swing collection.

I don't miss much when the ear muffs are on... I know all the tunes. I hear every note.

Ding, dong! The witch is dead.....

Cary Falk
08-10-2010, 9:44 AM
I have a TV in my garage seet to the Discovery Channel. I use it mostly for noise. If there is something I wand to see I stop what I am doing to watch and then resume work after it is done. It has never been a problem for me.

bob blakeborough
08-10-2010, 9:59 AM
What? No other 40 year old Punk Rock woodworkers out there? I can't be the only one... Or can i???

Zach England
08-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Classical (in the broad sense of the term), BBC and NPR.

Or baseball.

del schisler
08-10-2010, 10:22 AM
How many listen to music in the shop. I bet more neanderthals do than do power tool shops. I do both, so I can listen to my boom box.

I listen to everything from classic to country western. Today, I listened to an Arhoolie album. I'm curious if any of you know what this album is.

It is a 5 cd set my daughter gave me a few years back. There is Zydeco, jazz, folk, religious, folk and more. Chris Strachwitz toured dance halls, beer joints, anywhere he could find music and recorded it. The time span was from 1960 until 2000.

I listen to zydeco a lot. Here is a search for his music http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Zydeco&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=C-xYiP2BhTLDYJoXyzATu7unACgAAAKoEBU_Q-Wzw

Marty Paulus
08-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Jusr AM/FM/CD player for now. Listen to country mostly. I am an old head banger from the 80's but there are not good radio stations in my area for that type of music. Next TV upgrade in the house will allow me to put cable in the shop/garage. From there it"s NASCAR. If I actually put a cable box out there I can then get to the better music channels on the cable system.

Chris Kennedy
08-10-2010, 11:44 AM
I mostly listen to either metal or NPR. I think it confuses my neighbors to hear strains of thrash and goth metal followed by Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. There is an okay hard rock radio station in the area, so I sometimes listen to that as well.

Cheers,

Chris

Mitchell Andrus
08-10-2010, 11:59 AM
What? No other 40 year old Punk Rock woodworkers out there? I can't be the only one... Or can i???

I can't listen to that and cut a straight line.

Karl Card
08-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I do listen to music in the shop, it soothes the soul. I listen to anything from percy sledge to acdc but absolutely positively no rap.. dont care for it and prob never will...

Phyllis Meyer
08-10-2010, 12:17 PM
During the week I listen to Limbaugh:). Most of the time I like it quiet, but we do listen to a range of music from oldies-crooners-country...

Phyllis:)

Jim Fay
08-10-2010, 12:29 PM
I guess I am the odd man out. I really enjoy listening to baseball when I am in the shop. There is nothing like listening to great pbp announcers. When there is no baseball to be found I almost prefer it quiet.
Jim

Eric DeSilva
08-10-2010, 12:29 PM

I'm a little over 40, but I'm with ya. I've digitized and organized all my music on a central server in my house, so I can play whatever genre strikes me according to mood. Punk works in the woodshop, but it goes better with metalworking.

David Weaver
08-10-2010, 12:37 PM
I guess I am the odd man out. I really enjoy listening to baseball when I am in the shop. There is nothing like listening to great pbp announcers. When there is no baseball to be found I almost prefer it quiet.
Jim

I like sports, too. College football in the fall, especially. I'd listen to more baseball if the team here wasn't record-setting bad. A game between them and another losing team can really make you apathetic.

Jim Koepke
08-10-2010, 1:10 PM
I've got an iPod Classic connected to an old set of surround speakers with subwoofer. It's packed to the gills with my music from my CD collection. Mostly progressive rock and jazz for me. Growing up I was a trumpet player and drummer so I've got a lot of Maynard Ferguson and Buddy Rich. Usually I just put it on shuffle and each song becomes like a little surprise.

Mike

Do you have any Clyde McCoy (Sugar Blues comes to mind). I know the Columbia recordings are on CD. I like the Decca recording and have it on 78 that was then digitized.

Here is another version from 1931:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63EGEa8xqcM

I had not heard this version before just now. There seems to be a lot of different recordings of this.

I also like Gene Krupa.

jim

Stew Hagerty
08-10-2010, 1:21 PM
Maynard Ferguson

RIP Maynard 1928-2006

In my opinion, MF Horn is one of the best Album series of all time. Nobody but nobody could wail a horn like he could. MacArthur Park, Eli's Comin, Gonna Fly Now, The Fly, Conquistador, Superbone meets the Bad Man.

I was fortunate to see him perform live 3 times, the last time during his last tour before his death. I fell in love with his music in the 70's when I was in HS Band. He is sorely missed.

In addition to MF, I enjoy listening to a variety of music while in my shop. It all depends on my mood. I have a boom box and have a couple of classic rock stations presset. I also play CD's and MP3's , again usually classic rock. However, I frequently put on Celtic Rock or Southern Rock. I often listen to Talk Radio as well.

Mike Cruz
08-10-2010, 1:57 PM
Eric, I never would have guessed...

Me? I've got Country cranked on the radio...stereo actually, with big ole honkin' speakers!

Actually, that is how I get most of my news. I'm not one to watch the news on TV...too depressing. I was wwing, listening to the radio when the first plane hit the Twin Towers on 9-11. No one walked into the shop for 3 or 4 hours after the news was out. Funny, if I hadn't been listening, I would have had no idea what was going on...

glenn bradley
08-10-2010, 3:07 PM
I have an old laptop that is stripped down to running minimal Windows 2000, a browser and Windows Media Player. Usually I just use the browser to listen to Pandora or Radio Paradise through a powered sub/satellite unit. Media player handles and MP3's I have onboard if desired.

Al Wasser
08-10-2010, 3:15 PM
I vote for no TV or radio or anything..... I want to think and hear the machines do their thing. If they sound "off" then something is wrong. If I can't hear it I can't fix it.

Bryan Morgan
08-10-2010, 7:19 PM

Hardcore or metal. Hatebreed, In Flames, Throwdown, Five Finger Death Punch, Amon Amarth... stuff like that. For some reason, if its raining outside I listen to either Irish rebel music or acoustic music like Michael Hedges. :confused:

Neal Clayton
08-10-2010, 7:23 PM

punk in drublic still gets some play over my network every now and then. still one of the best albums ever. the rest, not so much cept for maybe some rancid or green day here and there.

Shawn Pixley
08-10-2010, 7:42 PM
I'm in! Play iPhone through a dock. Mix of Punk rock and Mod to Classical. Social Distortion, Clash, Jam and Agent Orange for example on the oldies. Green Day, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Massive Attack for more recent fare. Downloaded all of the Beethoven symphonies last week. Guess that make s me conflicted like my woodworking - not truly neander nor completely a tailed tool user...

Mike Cruz
08-10-2010, 9:48 PM
Oh my G, I would NEVER get any work done in the shop if I had heavy metal going... Judas Priest, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Krokus, AC/DC, Dio, Accept, awe man...I'm getting all tingly just thinking about it.:cool:

curtis rosche
08-10-2010, 10:09 PM
our shop is very loud. we wear ear muff style hearing protection. i put my ipod headphones on underneith
works well. keeps me happy and not bored after cutting the same peice out 800-1000 times

Rob Lindquist
08-11-2010, 11:57 AM
My Ipod is hooked to a pioneer receiver, 6 speakers in the ceiling, and a TV.

You can find punk, (DK's, Black Flag, Ramones, sex pistols, clash, More modern also, like Green Day).

You can find classic country, Cash, Charlie Pride and Rich, Marty Robbins, Donna fargo, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Waylan, Statler bros, Freddie Fender, on and on. These were my dad's bands that have always stuck with me, never forget the Saturdays with the albums spinning, woodchips flying in the shop.

Other fav's, SPRINGSTEEN, REo, Cars, Tubes, Mellencamp, Stix, ABBA, INXS, Elton John, Billy Joel on and on.

Nobody mentioned Mark Knoffler, lead singer of Dire Straights. He is a favorite now, and as a woodworker check out "Monteleone" from Get Lucky CD. While not the favorite CD of mine it is good, Shangri La is better IMO. Anyway, Monteleone is about John Monteleone who makes instruments, and made Knofler a guitar. Awesome song. Google it you won't be dissapointed, well maybe.

Forgot the most important thing, PACKER Football on Sunday!

David Weaver
08-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Oh my G, I would NEVER get any work done in the shop if I had heavy metal going... Judas Priest, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Krokus, AC/DC, Dio, Accept, awe man...I'm getting all tingly just thinking about it.:cool:

Krokus !!!

What about Carcass?

I listen to (Rust in Peace and older) Megadeth sometimes, but not too often. It makes me want to stop woodworking and go play guitar. I always found in the car that it was a bad thing to listen to because it makes you drive faster. I realized that one morning on the way to work when I got a ticket for 76 in a 40 (there are 6 lane highways here where the speed limit goes down to 40 in some spots - you have to pay attention).